Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Hearing Protection while shooting

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
I know there are allot of firearm shooters on this forum.
Can you post a link to nice pair of Ear Muffs. I would rather not mess with the fancy battery automatic units.
Just a very god pair of over the ear muffs for the range.
This is what I'm leaning towards.

https://www.amazon.com/ClearArmor-141001-Protection-Folding-Padded-Certified/dp/B00NKSMPZW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483536736&sr=8-4&keywords=shooting+ear+protection

Thank you... 
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    JethroVA said:

Thought you would at least post a photo of your pretty sister, Elly May.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You can get custom molded in ear plugs for about $40 if you look around a bit.  Call an audiologist in your area and ask them.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Linda uses the one like what you're u are showing with cheaper in-the-ear's plugged in at the same time. 
    I use the electric muffs. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    In my experience, over-the-ear muffs don't have to be "really nice" or expensive to work well.  El Cheapos from the gun store or even walmart work fine.  If I ever feel like I need additional help, I put in the in-ear plugs I use for sporting clays under the muffs.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    You can get custom molded in ear plugs for about $40 if you look around a bit.  Call an audiologist in your area and ask them.
    Thank you, but I really don't like the in the ear style. That's why I was asking about over the ear in my post. Just my preference.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thank you, but I really don't like the in the ear style. That's why I was asking about over the ear in my post. Just my preference.
    On the times Linda goes to the range she hates to have a loud gun close to her. She will be shooting a 9mm or .380. Then a guy with a 45 starts shooting she leaves. I found by getting her to insert the ear plug under the over the ear it really helps her. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Just go to the store and buy the ones with the highest dB reduction. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options

my hearing protection

+1 and if you wait a few more months, you may not even need a tax stamp for it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

That is stock photo. But I already have paid uncle sam quite a bit in tax stamps lol..

Im on the fence line for these being tax stamped VS a reg back ground check.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Any local sporting goods store will carry several and you can try them on to see if you're comfortable with the fit.
    Look for the Db rating and pick the one that's the highest.
    FWIW: I like over the ear muffs for pistol shooting but prefer an in the ear foamy for rifles and shotguns.
    The over the ear muffs interfere with my rifle/shotgun cheek weld.
    Double up with both types for the best protection.
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    I use Peltors, and wear a pair of disposable plugs under them if shooting indoors. I as well own several cans, but still wear hearing protection. Hearing loss is cumulative and I have enough issues with it already that I'm not adding to it when it's just as easy to throw a pair of ear cans on.
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options

That is stock photo. But I already have paid uncle sam quite a bit in tax stamps lol..

@EggHeadinFlorida I have a ton of foreign people that come through the gun shop/range that I work at. Some of the strictest gun control countries out there actively encourage suppressor use. In fact, countries such as New Zealand require them, from what I'm told. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Maxwell1331
    Maxwell1331 Posts: 45
    edited January 2017
    Options
    These are powered ones (https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483544464&sr=8-3&keywords=howard+leight).

For $16 more than the ones you're looking at I think they are a great option. I've had mine for 5 years and think I may have changed the battery one time? They have an auto off that helps a lot in the battery department. 
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    These are powered ones (https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483544464&sr=8-3&keywords=howard+leight).

For $16 more than the ones you're looking at I think they are a great option. I've had mine for 5 years and think I may have changed the battery one time? They have an auto off that helps a lot in the battery department. 
    I have a pair of those and I really like them.
    Options

Thank you so much for the information and taking the time to add the link.
    I might try battery. My only concern with ANYTHING battery related is leaking batteries. It's a pain the butt to add/remove the batteries every time I need to use the item. Why, because I have had such bad luck with batteries leaking and ruining electronics. Cameras, flash equipment, radios, travel radar detectors...you name it and I have had them ruined from a leaky battery. Even my garage door remotes. I now remove the batteries or try and use the high dollar ion rechargeable stuff that I don't use on a regular basis.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @Photo Egg I will say this once...friends don't let friends shoot loud guns. 

Having said that, depending on how well you hear, I would double up on a pair of molded ones (you can get them done pretty cheap the next time you go in to get your ears checked) and a pair of external muffs. 

But I would strongly suggest a pair of battery operated ones. You won't go back. 

(Before anyone asks, yes I have stamps for these. I try to fund the ATF Christmas party every year)

Jesus H, you're gun collection is like my CI collection. 

Tough decisions, tough decisions.
    Really nice assortment btw. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Focker said:

Having said that, depending on how well you hear, I would double up on a pair of molded ones (you can get them done pretty cheap the next time you go in to get your ears checked) and a pair of external muffs. 

But I would strongly suggest a pair of battery operated ones. You won't go back. 

(Before anyone asks, yes I have stamps for these. I try to fund the ATF Christmas party every year)

Jesus H, you're gun collection is like my CI collection. 

Tough decisions, tough decisions.
    Really nice assortment btw. 
    Those are just the black ones. Wait till he posts the Stainless guns.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

I do have a AR-10 .308 and a H&K Tactical .45 that I would like to make quiet.
    My Colt Ar-15 is the match target 20" heavy barrel and the muzzle is pinned and not threaded. I need to find a place to send it to have it threaded for standard break. Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Photo Egg you have a couple options. You got any pics of it? I try to stay away from threading my long guns if I can help it. I prefer locking brakes (I hunt with them a lot so I don't want them to start unthreading if I am breaking brush or something) but you could get it unpinned and put another brake, or just buy a shorter barrel and swap when needed. 

The second to the top is a 308 AAC can. I can use it on 308 down to 5.56 so I can put it on a AR10, or AR15 in 300 or 556. 

The USP is a slick one with a can. I prefer that Sig 220 but I love my HK. 

@Focker it's becoming less of an obsession and more of a curse at this point. Kinda like this forum. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

@EggHeadinFlorida I have a ton of foreign people that come through the gun shop/range that I work at. Some of the strictest gun control countries out there actively encourage suppressor use. In fact, countries such as New Zealand require them, from what I'm told. 

But a lot of countries don't have issues like we have unfortunately
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Photo Egg
    Options

But a lot of countries don't have issues like we have unfortunately
    But a lot are worse and the US is not improving.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Photo Egg said:
    On the times Linda goes to the range she hates to have a loud gun close to her. She will be shooting a 9mm or .380. Then a guy with a 45 starts shooting she leaves. I found by getting her to insert the ear plug under the over the ear it really helps her. 
    That's my MO.   I have significant tinnitus and hearing loss from my younger & dumber days. Mostly from woodworking & shooting with inadequate  (or mostly without) hearing protection.  Boy, is that dumb!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    The gang I shoot with can not afford anything fancy like ear plugs. One of us stands behind the shooter and puts their index fingers in his ears, someone else stands behind that guy and does the same thing, lather rinse, repeat until the last guy is far enough away so his hearing is not in jeopardy. To make sure the last guy is far enough away we all pitched in and bought one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Extech-SDL600-Sound-Meter-Logger/dp/B006L88YA8/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1483563963&sr=8-33&keywords=sound+meter&refinements=p_72:2661618011
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The gang I shoot with can not afford anything fancy like ear plugs. One of us stands behind the shooter and puts their index fingers in his ears, someone else stands behind that guy and does the same thing, lather rinse, repeat until the last guy is far enough away so his hearing is not in jeopardy. To make sure the last guy is far enough away we all pitched in and bought one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Extech-SDL600-Sound-Meter-Logger/dp/B006L88YA8/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1483563963&sr=8-33&keywords=sound+meter&refinements=p_72:2661618011
    This is not very conducive to robbing liquor stores and what-not. Perhaps find another gang?
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, speaking of gangs and guns reminds me of a segment on 60 Minutes years ago. They were interviewing a gang in L.A. and one of them was twirling a revolver and telling the reporter what a badass they were, when BAM!!, he blew a hole in his chest. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, speaking of gangs and guns reminds me of a segment on 60 Minutes years ago. They were interviewing a gang in L.A. and one of them was twirling a revolver and telling the reporter what a badass they were, when BAM!!, he blew a hole in his chest. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.
    At 6:40?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2HkBmThE4

@nolaegghead, yep, I do believe that is it.