Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the New Year off right

We kicked off the New Year and kicked out the old year out with a small Prime Rib. Only a 4.5lber but plenty big enough for the two of us.

It came out pinker than it looks in the pic (stupid bad lighting) and served up with RRP's au ju, mashed potatoes, cream spinach and burgundy mushrooms. The picture is a little blurred and so was I by that point. LOL

Sunday, we brought in the New Year with the expected black eye peas, cabbage, corn bread but instead of ham, we smoked some ribs. I didn't get many pictures, but Duke did chow down on three ribs. I'm going to have to start smoking two racks pretty soon.

And while there aren't any pictures, last night I grilled some chicken breasts that the wife tossed into some fettuccini alfredo. Not a bad way to start the New Years. I'd probably cook something tonight, but we really need to clean the fridge out of all the leftovers.

Hope everybody else had an enjoyable and safe New Years Eve.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Looks good Griff. Wow Duke sure is getting big!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    looking good!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • How long did it take for a small prime rib and at what Temp. Thanks
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    How long did it take for a small prime rib and at what Temp. Thanks

Oh gee...man, I think I already threw away my notes. 250 indirect for something like 15 to 20 minutes a pound was my initial plan until it hit 120ish and then sear it off at 500 for a few minutes per side.  Let it rest for 30 minutes or so. I didn't take good notes because I wasn't planning on sharing it and we weren't really on a time schedule since we were eating after Duke went to sleep and I had a few cold beverages. I'd like to say it went closer to 20 minutes a lb (90 total) than the 15. I wish I could be more helpful.

Rowlett, Texas

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    A kid with a rib bone in their mouth is a nice quiet kid...lol
    Great pics buddy, food looks amazing as usual.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice cooks!  Awesome seeing the lil guy enjoying Ribs!  My little girl turns ONE in a few weeks . . slowly starting to enjoy other table foods . . cant wait until we can cook/grill together and find some foods she really enjoys.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looking like a great start man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Griffin
    NDG said:
    nice cooks!  Awesome seeing the lil guy enjoying Ribs!  My little girl turns ONE in a few weeks . . slowly starting to enjoy other table foods . . cant wait until we can cook/grill together and find some foods she really enjoys.

it's a lot of fun. Duke obviously loves my ribs. He also loves chicken legs and believe it or not flank steak. Still can't get him to try a burger. Not sure what is up with that .

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    When is Duke getting his own Mini. AND WHAT LITTLE GIRL???????????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Looking good, I did a similar cook recently.  Thanks for reminding me about the mushrooms, that would have made it perfect!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The best to you and the family. My oh my, Duke is getting large and in charge. Great cook too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Duke is growing up... Enjoy it 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin

Thanks everybody. I forgot to mention we also led up to the end of the year with wings and burgers but failed to get any pictures at all. Priorities change...

@Mickey NDG mentioned a girl. Not me. When Duke gets older, he can start using my Mini. Lord knows it never seems to get any use anymore. Just sits idly by gathering dust. Last time I went to use it, I had to do a burn on it to get rid of the mold that had grown inside of it. Sad that it goes unused, it just doesn't fit our needs really and I've always struggled to keep it under 550 on anything but a short cook. It just wants to creep hotter and hotter no matter what I do. Most use it gets is for searing. Now you make me want to fire it up again.

@smbishop the mushrooms are one of my wife's favorites. For anybody wondering, they are the Pioneer woman's recipe

Thanks @henapple . Enjoying every moment.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    My youngest is a meat monster. She can destroy about 3/4 of a rack at 3 years old. 
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Nice!
    Milton, GA.