Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Grate Stacker

Options

Comments

• Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Mine came that way
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Dfoshee
    Options
    @Photo Egg could you share the Margarita recipe
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dfoshee said:
    @Photo Egg could you share the Margarita recipe
    I wish I could...I was not making them, just drinking too many of them.
    I believe it was equal part Tequila and lime juice with a float of Grand Marnier on top. Nothing fancy at all.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dfoshee
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    mpaek25 said:
    I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I recently bought the stacker and my base came asymmetrically a little bent, shown below. I contacted Smokeware and Matt from their sales department said that it is designed that way to allow the top grate to set level. He assures me that every stacker has this bend. Anyone else notice this on theirs and is this normal like he said?

@mpaek25 Mine out of the box:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Didn't notice it on mine, but when you torque it down it will all straighten out.

Try installing it and see what you think.  If you have an issue installed, I would call again.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Abarnette
    Options
    The only food I have seen in photos of this grate system is wings.  I would love to see some heavier items to see how well this really works.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Thought about buying it but ehh. Price and appearance of quality seem suspect. 

I have a smokeware table that's nice but the quality of the build leaves a bit to be desired imo 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2017
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

I have a smokeware table that's nice but the quality of the build leaves a bit to be desired imo 
    The aluminum slat table they sell is not their design or build, it is a challenger table I believe.

SW in house designed and built stuff is fantastic.  Some of the 3rd party stuff they sell, not so much.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

You must be someone who wants a $2500 cart / table for the price of the very lowest , entry level, priced table. The quality of that table is just fine for the price point. 
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

You must be someone who wants a $2500 cart / table for the price of the very lowest , entry level, priced table. The quality of that table is just fine for the price point. 
    Not really..... but assumptions are fun!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    what a concept!  you don't burn the back of your hands when you flip stuff on the bottom rack?!  pretty nice!!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    FATC1TY said:

Sorry for the assumption. It's just you bought the least expensive cart of that type that there is and it's $650. What did you expect to get? A Rolex? I've seen those carts and there's certainly nothing wrong with their construction. They are an entry level powder coated aluminum manufactured cart, not a hand made teak table with joints and what not. They hold the egg. Then won't fall apart. They won't rust. Just saying, you might have had your hopes a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you aren't happy with it. I for one am a big fan of Smokeware and what they do for the egg community. Sorry to bite at you. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Using my grate stacker now.  I have it on my XL.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Using my grate stacker now.  I have it on my XL.

Looks great...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Hey everyone! As some of you know, I work for Smokeware. The bend that has been mentioned it meant to be there.  It is to keep the top grate level.  It is a specific 8 degree lip to ensure the grill grate stays level.  Matt put a lot of thought into this one.  Also, over the weekend I cooked two pork butts - the one on top was 2.7 lbs and the bottom one was almost 4.9 lbs. Hope this helps with any questions!  Thanks!
    Jacksonville, Florida - Large BGE & Large Yellow Lab...Just the three of us!
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - We are going to start making a larger grill grate for those using the stacker on the XL. Even more room! 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - We are going to start making a larger grill grate for those using the stacker on the XL. Even more room! 
    Can't wait for the XL version. Thanks for the update.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hey everyone! As some of you know, I work for Smokeware. The bend that has been mentioned it meant to be there.  It is to keep the top grate level.  It is a specific 8 degree lip to ensure the grill grate stays level.  Matt put a lot of thought into this one.  Also, over the weekend I cooked two pork butts - the one on top was 2.7 lbs and the bottom one was almost 4.9 lbs. Hope this helps with any questions!  Thanks!
    What is the metal rig under the lower grate? It's not a raiser. Please do tell. 
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    @pgprescott - Good eye....It is a prototype that Matt has been working on for sometime now. It is hard to make at an affordable price but, we will get there.  It's basically a chip and drip pan.  Two pans - bottom pan filled with chips, top pan used as a drip pan.  Check out the YouTube video Matt made.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUuublcocPc
    Hopefully we can get it out in 2017.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott - Good eye....It is a prototype that Matt has been working on for sometime now. It is hard to make at an affordable price but, we will get there.  It's basically a chip and drip pan.  Two pans - bottom pan filled with chips, top pan used as a drip pan.  Check out the YouTube video Matt made.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUuublcocPc
    If you need some additional R&D let me know. You guys have our address!

Hey fwiw, I think you're overlooking an equally good selling point which is the smoking wood is separate from the coal, which means whatever doesn't get used in the LS cook can be removed for a non-smoke cook if desired. It's a common issue to have latent wood chips or chunks that are not desireable for the subsequent cook. Great idea you have there. Happy new year!
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Hey!!! @Carlyn2828 , we just met today! We were doing a "fire inspection". You guys were awesome and thanks for showing us around the smokeware shop. If you guys ever get hurt stop by the station and we will fix you up. Thanks again for everything!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    FATC1TY said:

Sorry for the assumption. It's just you bought the least expensive cart of that type that there is and it's $650. What did you expect to get? A Rolex? I've seen those carts and there's certainly nothing wrong with their construction. They are an entry level powder coated aluminum manufactured cart, not a hand made teak table with joints and what not. They hold the egg. Then won't fall apart. They won't rust. Just saying, you might have had your hopes a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you aren't happy with it. I for one am a big fan of Smokeware and what they do for the egg community. Sorry to bite at you. 
    i never said I wasn't happy... I just don't need to moisten their crotch due to the forum presence. I didn't have any hopes of it being a top tier table, as the ultimate table is my outdoor kitchen build at the new house, not some wood pile for the egg. 

The table is fine, except the casters are lackluster and the table doesn't firmly stay together despite having the bolts all tightened down. If attempted to move even slightly you can hear it squeak pretty bad and shift from square. It shouldn't fall apart, and had plenty of room on it. Heck of a lot nicer than the  wood tables you see around. 

But hey- I guess the point is, it's only 650 so it should be cheap quality, and if we are at it, smokeware shouldn't care- they didn't make it, they just sell it with their name on it. That should atleast comfort you a bit. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Hey @MaC122 thanks for stopping by!  It was great meeting you.  Hopefully there's not ever a need to stop by but, we will if ever necessary.  See you around!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Why not rotate the whole thing 180° so the pivot point is up by the handle? That way, you can swivel it completely out of the way. And drip even more crud on your deck or patio. =)

What's the difference between this one and the CGW thing people had so many complaints about? Hopefully, this one's better.

This is one gadget I know I'll never buy. I've never needed to cook more than one grid full at a time! Or had two grills going at the same time for that matter. Come to think of it, except for folks on these boards, I don't even know anyone who has two or more grills or a second cooking level on their one grill.
    I love my CGW . I have not experienced any issues with it. But since they are no longer being made it is nice to see a good alternative.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

I can see where this build can get expensive.. That's ALOT of welding and CNC cutting on what I assume is stainless steel. Nice concept, I like it. Not sure what price point you guys are going after, but I would honestly pay around $65-75 for it.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • pgprescott
    Options

I can see where this build can get expensive.. That's ALOT of welding and CNC cutting on what I assume is stainless steel. Nice concept, I like it. Not sure what price point you guys are going after, but I would honestly pay around $65-75 for it.
    prolly double that.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ^^ You would pay double that for that setup?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    ^^ You would pay double that for that setup?
    No, saying cost will be at least double that,$65-75.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    gotcha.. I don't think I can shell out that much $$ for something to smoke wood on. It deff looks cool though