Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Culinary question: Butter a pan before scrambling eggs? What's that smell?

Options
I don't know what may have changed regarding my olfactory senses; but all of a sudden I can't be in the kitchen when my wife scrambles eggs with butter. I always react by smelling the butter dish to see if it has gone rancid. That's the smell I smell when she dumps in the scrambled eggs to the buttered pan. But low and behold it is fresh and not at all rancid. Full disclosure: this is not Land o Lakes or any grocery store brand (and obviously not margarine either). We get our butter from a local dairy farm. The ingredients: Creme, salt. 

I just figured I was going insane until I read a completely unrelated article about how egg breaks down oil. So I thought I'd post here to see if any culinary experts can tell me what might be going on here. Thoughts? 
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Buttery scrambled eggs smell and taste delicious, especially on hot buttered toast or a bagel. No idea about your predicament.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    no clue
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am not a butter man with eggs any longer. The reason is not smell though....I find it easier to spray the cast iron with a little olive oil. I believe it may have a higher flash point than butter....anyway, I wonder if she has the pan to hot. I find the best way to scramble eggs (without butter) is to bring them along at a low temp (slow). Just a suggestion....not sure what the root cause is of your dilemma. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    does your wife use milk in the eggs, i like the texture and taste of eggs with just a small amount cold water and add the butter at the end. lately though im sensitive to the smells of cooking oils, they have been smelling more like window putty to me and i have no idea why, new and older bottles, especially the evoo's
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Could the butter have burnt before adding the eggs and the burnt solids are what you are smelling? a nutty flavor like ghee before straining the solids.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I don't know what may have changed regarding my olfactory senses; but all of a sudden I can't be in the kitchen when my wife scrambles eggs with butter. I always react by smelling the butter dish to see if it has gone rancid. That's the smell I smell when she dumps in the scrambled eggs to the buttered pan. But low and behold it is fresh and not at all rancid. Full disclosure: this is not Land o Lakes or any grocery store brand (and obviously not margarine either). We get our butter from a local dairy farm. The ingredients: Creme, salt. 

I just figured I was going insane until I read a completely unrelated article about how egg breaks down oil. So I thought I'd post here to see if any culinary experts can tell me what might be going on here. Thoughts? 

Have you been bit by a spider recently?  I'd watch for the development of super powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg83d4VziLk

On a serious note - i have no idea.

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We had the same kind of bacteria that breaks down butter when rancid get into a holding tank at work. Couldn't smell it at all in the tank. After it went thru the oven it was unbearable. Even after product sat in the shelf for weeks. 

Not sure that means anything. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's grass fed butter. That smell is omega 3 oils (smells like fish?)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Are you pregnant? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pliny the Elder calls butter "the most delicate of food among barbarous nations"

Bacteria in butter (or from the cream/milk) can create butyric acid which happens to be the main foul odor of human vomit. 

Also, you can imagine you smell some things that aren't there due to a condition called "Phantosmia".  Smells invoke strong memories and this can be a normal thing based on your history of them.

Options
    Pliny the Elder calls butter "the most delicate of food among barbarous nations"

Bacteria in butter (or from the cream/milk) can create butyric acid which happens to be the main foul odor of human vomit. 

Also, you can imagine you smell some things that aren't there due to a condition called "Phantosmia".  Smells invoke strong memories and this can be a normal thing based on your history of them.

When was the last time you smelled butyric in your kitchen.  Guessing never.  It's his sense of smell.  Use butter all the time, always smells like a good Chopin symphony.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

This. That butyric acid smells like puke. In butter or latex. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Read the last paragraph

Related pages: Chemistry  ·  Fatty Acids  ·  Methyl ketones  ·  Cooking  ·  Other molecules  · 

Milk fat is comprised mostly of triglycerides, with small amounts of mono- and diglycerides, phospholipids, glycolipids, and lipo-proteins. The trigylcerides (98% of milkfat) are of diverse composition with respect to their component fatty acids, approximately 40% of which are unsaturated fat firmness varies with chain length, degree of unsaturation, and position of the fatty acids on the glycerol. This is a typical breakdown of fatty acids in butter:

Flavorful fatty acids play an important role in the flavor of butter and are present at varied concentrations. Although long-chain fatty acids are present at higher concentrations in butter, they do not make a significant contribution to flavor. Short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), on the other hand, do play an important role in butter's flavor.

Typically, SCFA are found in the serum portion of butter (aqueous solution of all non-fat components) where their flavor potential is stronger. They occur below their Flavor Threshold Value (FTV): the minimum concentration level below which aroma or taste is imperceptible. Despite low concentrations, SCFA react in a synergistic and additive manner to provide characteristic flavors found in butter. Butyric acid is the most widely known and most potent SCFA and is attributed to providing intensity to fatty acid-type flavors associated with butter. Butter also contains a variety of fatty acid precursors of 4-cis-heptenal, a compound which provides butter with a creamy flavor.

Options
    I stand corrected.  Butter in my pots and pans smells, like butter.  Maybe I'm nose-blind ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    And maybe because I'm a Kerry Gold snob?
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    LOL, I was just thinking about this as I scrambled my boy two eggs this morning. It's the eggs, I didn't use butter, and they stink.... Smell like a wet dog to me.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options

You put carpet in the oven?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    LOL, I was just thinking about this as I scrambled my boy two eggs this morning. It's the eggs, I didn't use butter, and they stink.... Smell like a wet dog to me.
    You can get a sulfur smell from eggs, usually if they're boiled. 

If the hens eat rapeseed or soy, bacteria in their gut can make triethylamine, which is fishy smelling.
    Options
    ckali7 said:

If the hens eat rapeseed or soy, bacteria in their gut can make triethylamine, which is fishy smelling.
    And as often when scrambled?  This so far seems esoteric.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ckali7 said:

I'm the guy who asks the waiter which cheese stinks the most for my cheese board.  I generally like foul smelling stuff.  Stinky chemicals are natural components in the identity of many pleasant smelling foods. Diet, soil, weather, etc make some foods smell different.  Not that esoteric my friend.
    When butter heats it smells nasty to me as well and I love butter...use bacon grease instead.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I cook bacon in the pan first. Then pour out most of the grease and cook the eggs.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use ghee.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm the guy who asks the waiter which cheese stinks the most for my cheese board.  I generally like foul smelling stuff.  Stinky chemicals are natural components in the identity of many pleasant smelling foods. Diet, soil, weather, etc make some foods smell different.  Not that esoteric my friend.
    Mmmm, epoisses
    NOLA
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I cook bacon in the pan first. Then pour out most of the grease and cook the eggs.
    Fry your bread in the fat instead of pouring it off for the full English heart attack.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ckali7 said:

The terroir of butter and eggs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• theyolksonyou
    Options

You put carpet in the oven?
    Yep. Gotta dry it. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Kerry gold smells like ass when it gets hot. It's grass fed too. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Kerry gold smells like ass when it gets hot. It's grass fed too. 
    Kerry Gold fan as well. Have mixed the Kerry Gold with evoo and noticed a just off smell but went on. What is a non-grass premium butter?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.