Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mixer

Options
13»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    They come with a brush. They say wait about an hour or two then sweep off dried up dough, wipe down and that's it 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I've had mine so long I couldn't remember. I do try to run some really dry floured dough through when I'm done then let it set and clean it up. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If you do it right, there is little to no cleanup.

Ravioli is perfect make ahead material, toss in the freezer, remove when needed, and immediately place in the boiling pot.  One of my favorite uses for ground venison too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    really happy i found a non working one in a yard sale for 15 bucks years ago. chef rd on this forum worked for ka and sent me the parts i needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Ours came with the cleaning brush.  I think the reason to avoid water is that residual flour in the mechanism would turn to something similar to cement if wetted and left to dry.

Gerhard
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Mixer came in.  Pasta accessories will be in tomorrow.
    I hope this mixer performs better than their shi*ty powder coating job..
  • Focker
    Options
    You have the bruised green apple limited edition run.

FWIW, I have never looked under mine. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    LOL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Yup, bottom on my 600 series looks like sh#t too
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gerhardk
    Options
    I don't know, must be something wrong with me we have had a dark grey mixer like that for at least 10 years but I have never looked at it's underside ;)

Gerhard
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    The only reason I saw the bottom was because when I unboxed it, the mixer was ass end up LOL. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Focker said:

The powder coating also looks a little "lumpy", like it was kinda "caked up". 

I'd toss it. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    You goofballs made me look under mine now, too.  
    Slight underspray in the corners, but the feet on mine are molded into the base, not bent "L" brackets (granted, my Artisan is almost 20 years old).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Focker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Slight underspray in the corners, but the feet on mine are molded into the base, not bent "L" brackets (granted, my Artisan is almost 20 years old).  
    Must resist.....the urge.....to look.
    I won't do it damnit. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:

The powder coating also looks a little "lumpy", like it was kinda "caked up". 

I'd toss it. :)
    Hahaha
    My first black mixer would pull the bowl off the pins and clank around.  KA was awesome, sent me a brand new one in any color I wanted.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You guys had better take the whole damn thing apart to make sure they properly painted the back sides of all the casing parts! Good lord! Tough room. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Ok everyone, post a pic of your mixer hahaha
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Focker said:
    Botch said:
    Must resist.....the urge.....to look.
    I won't do it damnit. Lol
    You won't sleep until you do.  You know you want to.   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    When I have time to look at the arse side of my mixer I will truly know I have too much time on my hands. 
    But the parts you are supposed to see do look good on yours. I like the green. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Only thing I don't like about our pro 600 is the lift bowl. Head it in the way often
    Dyersburg, TN
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    gmac said:
    When I have time to look at the arse side of my mixer I will truly know I have too much time on my hands. 
    But the parts you are supposed to see do look good on yours. I like the green. 

The top of the mixer looks good. very shiny and no clumps in the powder coat.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    leemschu said:
     Head it in the way often
    ???
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Anyone have any issues with the attachments breaking over time? These look like cheap pot metal. I see that KA sells other attachments that are stainless, but they cost a lot more.
  • gerhardk
    Options
    You are mixing doughs, batters, icings etc. not cement and gravel. I have used mine for over 10 years without issue, we don't use the mixer daily but there aren't many weeks where it isn't used.

I read of one person in a warm climate making a yeast dough and he added ice cubes to slow the dough, he ended up breaking the nylon gear in the planetary system. As far as I know his hook survived.

Gerhard
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Anyone have any issues with the attachments breaking over time? These look like cheap pot metal. I see that KA sells other attachments that are stainless, but they cost a lot more.
    I have stripped the metal gears inside my mixer.  I was pushing it hard with thick dough, my fault. My attachments still look brand new.  Keep in mind the gears are designed to strip before you damage the motor.  That mixer can handle any cookie/cake/frosting/pie crust ect you throw at it.  Thick bread doughs are fine too, but they will jam up anything.  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

Did you have to mail your unit in to get the gears fixed? What did it cost you?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    just a guess but the bottom of my mixer probably looks cleaner than the top =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Search eBay and Craigslist for a KitchenAid KSM5 ProLine 325W 5Qt mixer made in St. Joseph Michigan. You can frequently find them for $200 or less with lots of accessories.

I recently bought this same model (used, on eBay) for my 25 yo son who has become a really great chef/cook/baker in his own right.

When I got married 30 years ago, I bought myself this stand mixer and have been making 100% of the bread, doughs, pate a chous, pie crusts, steak tartar, grated cheeses, grated vegetables, grinding my own wheat into flour, etc... ever since, and it's never had a single malfunction and as I check the grease annually I've never had to do any maintenance on it either.

I've made 20+ pounds of bread/roll/baguette/pizza dough a month for the past 30 years for our family so the number of hours on this motor are exceedingly high.

Accessories for this mixer are still available today.

Here's what mine looks like after all these years - a model KSM5PSGR (KSM5 Pro Stand mixer in GRey coloring)

This was just after Hobart stopped manufacturing these wonders.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options

Did you have to mail your unit in to get the gears fixed? What did it cost you?

I did the repair myself. Gears, housing, gasket and grease were less than $80. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had a leaking gearbox on my old Kitchenaid.  Disassembled it and put a new seal in from my generic seal kit.  Loaded it up with grease and no more problems.  We have since unloaded it on a friend and bought the larger HD 475.

And no, I didn't look under it because I could care less if the bottom is powder coated.  The coating doesn't stop a non-ferrous metal from oxidizing (because it won't) so who cares?