Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mixer

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Damn Ron, you robbed them LOL.... That's a good deal.. I have a Kohls locally. Just got off the phone with them, and they wont match internet price. Looks like amazon has the 600 series for $350 ish and the (3) piece pasta rollers for $120 and ravioli maker for $150. This is really really tempting!!!
    That non-matching policy obviously is something new. Like I said I bought mine in 2011.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida

The silver Kitchaid 600 is faster than the booger green.  Just sayin...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn Ron, you robbed them LOL.... That's a good deal.. I have a Kohls locally. Just got off the phone with them, and they wont match internet price. Looks like amazon has the 600 series for $350 ish and the (3) piece pasta rollers for $120 and ravioli maker for $150. This is really really tempting!!!
    I just paid $350 ish for the 600 pro last week. That's the deal unless you have Kohl's cash, points, or some kind of store/card reward. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @EggHeadinFlorida

Probably is but my shiny black 600 is truly faster than your silver and is radar proof besides!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @EggHeadinFlorida

for some reason, I like that apple green lol

Maybe race red will be faster haha

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    Drat.  I had carefully curated my intranetz ad viewing to nice camera equipment and women's lingerie, so I always had pleasant things to look at on any forum I visited.  Now its nothing but stupid mixers.  :angry:
     =) 

Still learning a lot from this thread, though.  Thanks @RRP, didn't know Kohl's had that big a discount for seniors; is that "AARP Senior" (age 50), "restaurant Senior" (55), "Social Security Senior" (62), or "2017 republican Senior" (69)?  

I have the KitchenAid pasta rollers, use them a couple times a month during the winter (love homemade pasta).  I'm also amazed at how overpriced the two Macey's ads are on this thread, how can they stay in business in this intranetz age??  

On the "Roller" I see they have 8 settings with 8 being the thinnest and 1 being the thickest.

How thick is the #1 setting?

I like 4 for egg noodles cut thicker with a knife, 4 for fettuccini, and 5 for lasagna and ravioli.

3-4 oz dough chunks.  Things can get out of hand when you get up to the thinner 5 on up settings.

I'm not sure of using 1 for anything that thick.  7 or 8 is angel hair.

You can start with your dough by turning the roller setting back a quarter turn, my 0.5 setting.  Start all of my dough at the 0.5, work my way up each number, 2 passes each.  Flour as needed.  You can move through the numbers fairly quickly.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigbadben
    Options
    Does anyone have the (3) piece pasta roller/ cutter set from Kitchenaid? Ive got a question if you do.
    I do. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you want a retro one, look for a Kitchenaid K5-a. Those are the Hobart ones. Or, just get a Hobart n50, but that'll set you back 7 or 8 new Kitchenaids.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    I always found the Costco/BJs KAs to be the best bang for the buck. 

I have rebuilt one one of mine a few times, parts are readily available online.  

I have stripped metal gears making dough.  No big deal.  

For lean SD loaves I hand mix. Everything else goes in the KA. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @EggHeadinFlorida

for some reason, I like that apple green lol

Maybe race red will be faster haha

nope - race red is the color troopers LOVE to catch and ticket - that's why my sleek black PRO 600 model spins faster even when my radar detector is unplugged 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @bigbadben I agree, this time of year at Costco there are some incredible deals.  After I bought my KA, I was browsing Costco and thought.."damn that's cheap!"  Just a shame I couldn't return the one we purchased a few months prior.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

@bigbadben @focker

Reason I ask about the thickness for #1 setting is it looks useful for possibly making thin crust pizzas. We have plenty of restaurant's locally that sell pizzas 6-8" wide X 10' or so in length..

I guess if it is too thin, you can always overlap the dough and get your desired thickness.  Just thinking outside the box here.

• Focker
    Options

@bigbadben @focker

Reason I ask about the thickness for #1 setting is it looks useful for possibly making thin crust pizzas. We have plenty of restaurant's locally that sell pizzas 6-8" wide X 10' or so in length..

I guess if it is too thin, you can always overlap the dough and get your desired thickness.  Just thinking outside the box here.

The rollers are about 4 inches wide or so.
    Might work for Stoeffers personal size rectangular pizzas, but you're better off to dig out a boat to fit more toppings with an Italian loaf.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

@focker so the dough coming out is 4" wide?  That's not big at all. The pics make it look a lot wider.

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    If it's pizza dough or light bread doughs you want get a Cuisinart food processor. Makes excellent dough very fast. Did four batches yesterday in 15 minutes. Used them today. Won't let me post a video I made. It's pretty awesome. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options

@focker so the dough coming out is 4" wide?  That's not big at all. The pics make it look a lot wider.

My block is 26 x 21 for comparison.  2 sheets will cover one layer of a 9 x 9 or a 13 x 9.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

alright, im fixing to pull the trigger on this.

any thoughts?

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If Kohl's has the same price, check the gift card sites - probably lots of Kohl's cards there for cheap which can save you some money. And 6% cash back at Ebates.com (if you're not a member and are in the mood, PM me and I can send you a link so I can get a referral bonus! LOL)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options

alright, im fixing to pull the trigger on this.

any thoughts?

I'm not sure on the extruder.  You can do a ton with the roller and cutter set.

For those extruder styles, I look for the in store bronze cut stuff vs teflon cut.  Teflon pasta is shiney, smooth.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    For a heavy bread/pizza dough get the Pro Kitchen Aid; the type that the bowl does not lock into a base plate. Better to spend another $100  and get a mixer that can handle dough.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Mikee said:
    For a heavy bread/pizza dough get the Pro Kitchen Aid; the type that the bowl does not lock into a base plate. Better to spend another $100  and get a mixer that can handle dough.

IM not following? The one I listed is secured to the mixer with 2 pivot points on the bowl.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've got a 12 Quart Berkel commercial mixer that I would part with if anyone has the need for a heavy duty unit. This thing can mix concrete, you have to be careful using it, it won't be stalled down under any load.
    The only downside is that it takes a couple of people to pick it up to place on a counter.
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    We have used and abused this Classic for years.  Any idea if this model has plastic gears? 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    reload said:
    We have used and abused this Classic for years.  Any idea if this model has plastic gears? 
    @reload More than likely Whirlpool with nylon gears. Hobart came out of Troy, Ohio and it looks like your mixer is from St. Joseph, Michigan. The first couple years when Whirlpool bought Kitchenaid they kept everything the same. (Steel gearing) A few years later they started to change parts out. The only true way is to open it up and take a peek. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Trigger pulled, mixer and accessories are on way. Will be here tomorrow
  • Focker
    Options
    Trigger pulled, mixer and accessories are on way. Will be here tomorrow
    Cool!
    Best tip..do not rinse, or wash, or get any amount of water near the roller and cutters.

Brush, or blow them clean with compressed air if needed, when you are finished.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ^^^ I've read that several times. Why are they so sensitive to water? They are stainless made in Italy.
  • Focker
    Options
    ^^^ I've read that several times. Why are they so sensitive to water? They are stainless made in Italy.
    The internal gears.  KA recommends 4 drops of mineral oil, one at each end of each roller, annually.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Gotcha!
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I think mine came with a little brush or maybe I had it from my manual pasta roller. A cheap natural chip brush is all you need. I love our ravioli days. Make 6 months worth or more at a time. Sometimes invite people over to turn it into a party and bang out enough for everyone to take home. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM