Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Griswold Cast Iron

Options

Comments

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Came across this place just outside of Hocking Hills, Ohio. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    It's amazing, I was raised in Erie, PA and never knew that some of the best CI in the world was made there.  Too bad the industry is gone and manufacturing is on the way out.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @travisstrick: who would that be?
    It's http://www.irongargoyle.com/

the cast iron guy has a large booth inside. If it's cast iron he probably has it. 
    Thanks sir.

But wrong part of North Florida for me. I'm over on the east coast on the banks of th St. Johns river.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @focker Pretty funny. We  exchange gifts with some friends (more like extended family).  They always ask what I'd like.  Response... Old CI preferably Griswold or Wagner. I even prefaced with i don't care if it needs some or a lot of TLC. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Lots of YouTube videos on smoothing out CI. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Lit said:
    @Lit is that the antique mall on Roswell Rd near Williamson Brothers? 
    I think it's just called the Marietta antique mall. It's by the chicken house looking restaurant. Sorry I don't know the area well but I have been there a couple times and remember seeing some pans. Probably not cheap but you might find a nice one. Remember there's more to it than just getting a #10. I got a small logo #10 that my parents got when my grandma passed and it's heavy as crap. Still cooks great and is smooth as can be but it's twice the weight as the earlier large slant logos. I watched for deals on griswold stuff for several years and they don't really exist around here I had much better luck on eBay. 
    Yeah, I walk by the small logos.  Would take a Wags over a small logo any day.  Same goes for the dual logos, no bueno.

Large logos, or the old unmarked Griswold and Wags, are the ones you want.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Options
    @focker Pretty funny. We  exchange gifts with some friends (more like extended family).  They always ask what I'd like.  Response... Old CI preferably Griswold or Wagner. I even prefaced with i don't care if it needs some or a lot of TLC. 
    Good stuff Blake.  I too, have rehab'd some doozies dirt cheap.

Like the Trump train, I am extremely proud to ride on the Vintage Iron Bandwagon.

You can never have too much Wags and/or Griswold IMO. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How much was that hotel waffle iron, top left?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options

the cast iron guy has a large booth inside. If it's cast iron he probably has it. 
    Thanks again Travis. I called them I was able to pick up a small logo #10 and a Birmingham #14 for a price I couldn't resist. Those will tide me over until I can find a good slant logo with a lid that doesn't break the bank. That B'ham is going to be awesome on the XL. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I concur. However, all the buffing in the world won't get you the same skillet as an original oldie.  The weight tells the story.  It's easy to pick out an imposter.  Nothing wrong with a well seasoned Lodge etc...I own plenty of these.  Collecting vintage CI is a different animal all together.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Logan Antique Mall? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    So...just like with Beanie Babies or Tickle Me Elmos or Cabbage Patch Dolls, when is the cast iron fad/bubble going to burst and folks can once again start finding pieces at dirt cheap prices? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Somebody here turned me to this guy on twitter.  Great feed and some really cool cast iron!

http://theculinaryfanatic.com/
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• travisstrick
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Somebody here turned me to this guy on twitter.  Great feed and some really cool cast iron!

http://theculinaryfanatic.com/
    He has a video of a closet with his full collection. Super impressive. I've been watching him for a year or two. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options

Thanks again Travis. I called them I was able to pick up a small logo #10 and a Birmingham #14 for a price I couldn't resist. Those will tide me over until I can find a good slant logo with a lid that doesn't break the bank. That B'ham is going to be awesome on the XL. 
    The guy who owns the booth inside the mall used to work for lodge. He knows everything there is to know. 

You can can pick up non collectible #8 smooth pans for $20 all day long. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Focker said:
    How much was that hotel waffle iron, top left?
    Don't know. Most of the pans were $20-50. I found a 10" wag for less than $10 in one of the other booths 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Logan Antique Mall? 
    Sounds right.
    Probably should have bought them all and resold to everyone here. 
  • Focker
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I concur. However, all the buffing in the world won't get you the same skillet as an original oldie.  The weight tells the story.  It's easy to pick out an imposter.  Nothing wrong with a well seasoned Lodge etc...I own plenty of these.  Collecting vintage CI is a different animal all together.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I remember playing with the little red barn on the bottom right!

The double griddle on the bottom left is very intriguing!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks to the recommendation from @travisstrick, I was able to pick up a #10 Griswold and a #14 Birmingham for a very reasonable price. I'll need to season the Griswold a little more but I'm stoked. The B'ham is a beast! 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @DoubleEgger homie-quan, did they ship? I'm looking for a 12 inch old school one
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger homie-quan, did they ship? I'm looking for a 12 inch old school one
    Yes they did. No problem. Good folks down there. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Might want to call that Logan Antique Mall denoted above if the Iron Gargoyle can't help you. 
  • Focker
    Options
    FWIW for anyone interested...

Called Logan, they don't ship, because it's usually the dealbreaker.
    But she offered $135 for the hotel waffle iron over the phone.  She was willing to contact the seller for more.  I declined.

A Griswold recently went for $478 with 30 bids on fleabay.  They book for $400-500.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looking for a Poffertjes cast iron pan. 19 dimple would be great!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Like this:

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looking for a Poffertjes cast iron pan. 19 dimple would be great!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Like this:

I have seen plenty of vintage ebelskivers out in the wild.  They usually only have 7 spots.  

May be better off finding a Chinese CI Japanese takoyaki pan.
    http://niceyfemme.com/2011/02/03/my-new-toy-a-takoyaki-pan/

Best of luck.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Focker Yep I saw those but the well is to deep for Dutch pancakes. Oh well I may have to get one from Australia. Seems it is common there. Thanks.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    So what is the difference in quality of Griswold vs Lodge? Just trying to learn something here  tia
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    So what is the difference in quality of Griswold vs Lodge? Just trying to learn something here  tia

Besides the history, griswolds are lighter, and glass smooth.  Lodge are a fair bit rougher.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2017
    Options