Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I suck at brisket on the BGE

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    That dude was one of our favorite targets as a teen. 
    That number (800-705-7000) is still active. I just verified it.
    Do you still get a prayer cloth?  Seems like that was a thing. 
    Dunno, didn't listen all that long.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Back to the OP. Buy a packer. 
    And whatever you do, carve it this way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DpjHCRF8rAo

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @dmw just listened. Still get the cloth along with anointing oil and a book.  
  • DMW
    Options

For the love of all that is holy and whatnot, do NOT do that.
    Here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36-BOxajwyQ
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Whatever you do, buy that knife. PM @cazzy for details. 
  • DMW
    Options

That's the only thing he did right.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

This guys knife is awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAP1DG_Vs8

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    Options

This guys knife is awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAP1DG_Vs8
    Wars have been started over less than this...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Those are the funniest things on youtube ( next to that old woman and that girl singing a few pages back- that sh!ts hilarious). 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm gonna start saving my newspapers 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I hope that first guy had newspapers under that table where he threw all his brisket. 

Little Rock, AR

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Stand up guy and an awesome offer!  Kudos
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I could never get a brisket done right. For me, I don't think I was getting a good cut of meat.  
    Been a few years, so maybe time for another attempt.

Anyway, my failure did not condemn me to hot dogs and pizza on the Egg.

I suggest that you give ribs a try.  
    Then pulled pork.  It may be sacrilege in Texas, but you can also do swordfish and salmon.  
    And don't forget burgers — the best burgers I've had were done on the Egg
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Ok here is my $0.02. 

Cooking meat is more about the cross section thickness than total weight. A 3 lbs flat could be the same thickness as a 10 lbs flat depending on how they are cut. The way energy penetrates the meat, all that matters is thickness, NOT total weight.  

I think the OP is on the right track. Let it ride. I would wrap it in foil with beer and honey.  Check for probe tender starting at 200 F. You have hit the stall.  Read up about the stall on amazingribs.com. 
    This here. 
    Im not in the wrap a brisket camp but I can see it on a flat. I normally do full packers 14-18lbs and have never ruined one, I've just planned on 18 hours as my average time with 2-4 hour hold time before serving. Huge cushion and time to make burnt ends. 
    Only peice of meat we ever dried out was called a pikes peak roast at about 4lbs. Not sure what cut that really is, but we rushed it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • DMW
    Options
    Good lord my head hurts from all this .. I'll help. I'll come to your house, take you to the store,
    show you how to choose a brisket, show you how to trim it, rub it, set up your egg, and cook it. We have family in CP so
    we can just make a day of it. If you want help, I'll do it. 
    Take him up on this offer and you will be cooking briskets and ready to open a BBQ joint. Seriously, take advantage of him, the rest of us do.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Several of you have suggested to just cook a packer and not just the flat to get a successful result. Since a packer contains the flat as well... what's the difference? Flat is still exposed as one fairly thin piece of meat.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Good lord my head hurts from all this .. I'll help. I'll come to your house, take you to the store,
    show you how to choose a brisket, show you how to trim it, rub it, set up your egg, and cook it. We have family in CP so
    @RooCeleste, take @The Cen-Tex Smoker up on his offer. You will learn from one of the best, If I were in the area I would come along just to learn a few things myself. And thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for offering to help her that is what this forum is about.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Several of you have suggested to just cook a packer and not just the flat. Since a packer contains the flat as well... what's the difference? Flat is still exposed as one fairly thin piece of meat.
    The flat is covered for the most part by the point, so it has the benefit of that extra insulation. In addition, packers are relatively untrimmed, whereas flats(at least around me) are heavily trimmed.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Several of you have suggested to just cook a packer and not just the flat. Since a packer contains the flat as well... what's the difference? Flat is still exposed as one fairly thin piece of meat.
    The flat is covered for the most part by the point, so it has the benefit of that extra insulation. In addition, packers are relatively untrimmed, whereas flats(at least around me) are heavily trimmed.
    Thanks for the reply... I didn't really consider the trimming. Makes sense...

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• acmoser76
    Options
    My first brisket was a flat that someone picked up for me. It turned out "OK"- not terrible but not all that good either. The second brisket was a full packer from a local butcher. Turned out amazing. Since then, I've done probably a dozen briskets all of which have turned out pretty well but some definitely better than others. I consider myself a novice when cooking brisket, but here's a few tenants I follow:

1. I typically buy prime briskets. Luckily my local Costco carries them. Most will say don't buy anything less than choice.
    2. I use meat temp more as a guide for my cook than an absolute endpoint. I always cook to feel/tenderness but I start to probe and test starting at certain temps.
    3. Each brisket I've cooked has it's own personality. Some I've screwed up along the cook but still turn out great. Others I've done exactly to plan but don't turn out as well. The brisket gods can be fickle.

I do agree with suggestions that say at the very worst you can use the meat for chili. I think even mediocre brisket is good on nachos.

Whether or not to keep trying it obviously a personal decision. If it's truly frustrating you to the point of anger, I'd step away for a period of time. I wouldn't let this get you so upset that you sell your egg though. It's good for so many things even if brisket never works out.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The title suggests he's an accomplished brisket chef on other cookers doesn't it?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    This forum is not good for my ADD!!  Brisket, uh four fat guys singing... bad...., uh gochjang-korean chili paste, uh a farting pastor, gulf coast shrimp, brisket!!!!  I am all over the place!!
    You guys are awesome!!  

I don't mean to be rude but if you are quitting after two tries at brisket.... ummmm....  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    The title suggests he's an accomplished brisket chef on other cookers doesn't it?
    It's a she, and you're right - the title does suggest that.  The opening post, OTOH... not so much.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    piney said:
    @RooCeleste, take @The Cen-Tex Smoker up on his offer. You will learn from one of the best, If I were in the area I would come along just to learn a few things myself. And thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for offering to help her that is what this forum is about.
    I would not hesitate with this offer of help.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    By far the best flat I have done.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141803/i-might-be-catching-on-to-this-cooking-brisket-flats#latest

Flats are very hit or miss and I have missed my fair share that turned into chopped brisket sandwiches with bbq sauce on it. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Man, you just can't give up on it.  I am quite the opposite, I've had every single brisket turn out perfect.  The flat can be challenging.  Read up on the stall....it's important.  Do some research on the FTC method......helps get you to perfection.  And go to Amazon and buy yourself a copy of Aaron Franklin's book......it has all you need to know about the science of a good brisket.  The one thing I've never done that he preaches is to spend extra $$ and get higher quality meat.  I do the opposite, I buy the cheapest of the cheapest and my guests have always raved over my brisket.  So, why change what works?  :)

Good luck......but don't give up just yet.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Reddogwood
    Options
    From another newby... hang in. I've pulled off one brisket and it was probably mediocre. But mediocre is still pretty darn good in my book. I read a lot of these posts and used the info.  Don't under-estimate leftovers either - they were almost better.... sliced it up into a sauté pan with a little "home-made" BBQ sauce (modified Sweet Baby Ray's), melted horseradish cheddar over it with banana peppers (pepperoncini would have been better) slap it on a toasted bun. It was easily a $12 sandwich from a restaurant!

maybe you try some pork and get a little comfort with the egg since it's so much cheaper.

Good luck and use this forum.
  • Reddogwood
    Options
    And btw, that one brisket of mine was 7.5 lbs. I estimated 8.25 hrs and it took 10 @ 230-260. We didn't get to enjoy any until almost 9:30pm (a late start due to battling high pit temps in the AM contributed to the late finish). so yes, patience is necessary.
  • cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited January 2017
    Options

There're excellent YouTube videos that will walk you through cooking this. Look for competition brisket cook. Lots of info on what works and why. Also ck out Aaron Franklin on PBS or you tube.  He has mastered brisket ins and outs.

Flats are tuff to do, I always inject my flats with  Moore's beef injection available at Academy Sports.  Also a big fan of wrapping brisket at 165 with butcher paper then pulling at 195, then 2 hour in a igloo.  You are at a real dissadvantage by not using a good thermometer to monitor your cook.  Just trying to use time as a indicator of being done is not the best way to go. An experienced brisket cooker can go by looks and feel to judge doneness but this in its self is a learned skill .

Good luck

Endeavor to persevere.  (outlaw josey wales)

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas