Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Frustration

Options
I am on my 2nd thermometer on my XL BGE. 1st one was defective where I celebrated the thermometer to only found out every time I would touch it the needle would move because the nut in the back was lose for some reason. Took that back and calibrated the 2nd one, was off 200 degrees after I carefully installed it and adjusted it while cooking and using a prove inside the BGE. I noticed when I touch that one it also tends to move by 10 degrees. Does anyone use there thermometer on the front or is it just a decoration? Does anyone have something better?

XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Get a good wireless/Bluetooth set up. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Stop touching it!  You'll go blind!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Never had an issue. Calibrated once when new and haven't touched it since 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    When my BGE thermo finally kicked it, I bought a Smokeware 3" thermo.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/black-smokeware-temperature-gauge

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just curious, are you using the included spring clip for the thermometer? If so, don't. Re-calibrate it and put it in without the spring clip.
    Yes I am, And that clip is the worse design. Thanks
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    DMW said:
    Just curious, are you using the included spring clip for the thermometer? If so, don't. Re-calibrate it and put it in without the spring clip.
    Throw.  It. Away. Now. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Never calibrated mine.  It gives me an idea of how hot the fire is.  But I don't rely on it
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • sjm1027
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    DMW said:
    Throw.  It. Away. Now. 
    Ha, I will for sure
  • sjm1027
    Options
    I have a Webber Bluetooth 2 probe thermometer and it screws up every time I use it. The fix is to remove the batteries on both units, replace batteries, turn on handset first, base unit 2nd then it works for 30 minutes and screws up again. What is a good Blue Tooth unit?
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    DMW said:
    Throw.  It. Away. Now. 
    What's wrong with the clip?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    DMW said:
    Throw.  It. Away. Now. 
    It's unnecessary and a pain in the a$$. If you rotate the thermo it can mess with your calibration.  Makes a good spacer for a drip pan. That's about it. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    If you need another shoot me a PM.  I have a few extra.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is too tight.
    It is not even needed as gravity will keep it from falling out.
    When you decide to egg a turkey, or large roast or a pot of chili you run the risk of closing your dome and either impaling your meat or bending the thermometer, but with the lip removed you can easily pull the thermometer out, close the dome and reinsert it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I like the thermometer straight. Mine works fine and I use the clip on it. I did space it with a copper pipe fitting.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I keep the BGE thermometer in use, just because it serves as a potentially useful backup.

But I rely on either my Maverick 732 or my Flame Boss 200 (whichever I'm using at the time) to tell me the real story.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Good to know about the clip! I never knew it was the norm to remove it.