Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg or extra large egg that is the question.

Options
I am going to purchase an egg in the near future but I am on the fence about what size.  I currently cook on a weber with a 22 inch cooking surface.  My concern is I look to cook sides on the grill while cooking the meat.  I don't want to go to small but I also don't want to fire up a monster grill like the XL for everyday grilling. I also wonder about grate accessories that stretch your cooking surface.  Has anybody used the smokeware Stacked grill grates with the pivoting post?  It looks like a great option if it can carry a decent amount of weight and still function.

Comments

• outrageous
    Options
    How many people do you usually cook for?    the large plus a small/mini max combo works well for some people who are thinking about a xl egg..

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I use the pivoting grate stacker from Smokeware.  I really like it.  Very simple and provides easy access to food below.  It is typical high quality SW stuff.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    If I  could only have one it would be the large. It's the most used in my collection. I do have the swing type grate. It's prior to the smokeware model which looks to be better built. I  have one on my XL and large.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    welcome.  i'd get the xl.  the lg may feel cramped coming from the 22" kettle.

(i would keep the kettle for sides)

Phoenix 
  • Abarnette
    Options
    Typically I am only cooking for three which everything I read says that the large is plenty but it seems small.  I may just have to be more efficient with my space than I currently am.  I cook potatoes in a cast iron pan I like the slight smoke flavor.  Thank you for the mini max combo idea Outrageous.  Ozzie Isaac thank you for your input that definitely makes me feel better about the capabilities of the large and the smokeware pivoting grate stacker.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and get ready for quite the journey.
    As you can guess, you are not the first one to have this debate on the forum.  Give the search function a look or google with egghead forum added to your query and you should find many threads of info.  Wherever you land you will enjoy.
    Happy New Year.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I typically cook for under 4 people and my large with a adjustable rig from CGS has always supplied plenty of real estate. I am adding a small/mini-max soon for those short, fast cooks when it's just myself and SWMBO 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Abarnette
    Options
    Lousubcap thanks for the search tip it led me to a lot of good responses, that make me feel more certain about the large.  Colts Fan thanks for your input I was also wondering about the adjustable rig.  I assume you are talking about the one that has the sliding grate similar to a grate out of your oven.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I cook as much as I can on the grill- year round. 

I have three young kids, but often have people over for dinner at times. I have a large and minimax. Depending on cook and needs one or both get fired up and we have plenty of space. 

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    XL
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I have a large and find it has plenty of room. I use my Weber kettle if I need extra room for sides. Did 34 lbs of prime rib on my large just before x-mas!!!!

• Reltserw
    Options
    XL. I have a large and I wish I went with the XL. Would like more room for ribs, larger cuts, etc. 
  • KeithEGG
    Options
     I did the same Back and forth when I got mine I decided to get the XL and very very glad I did 
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • Abarnette
    Options
    Keith EGG thanks for your input
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Abarnette said:
    Typically I am only cooking for three which everything I read says that the large is plenty but it seems small. 
    I wondered the same thing, but you can't really make the best decision by just looking at eggs in the dealer's showroom. Have you ever been to an Eggfest to watch the cooks at work?

I only cook for two, occasionally three, and my Large has never been too small for anything I've attempted. There is always a little more room I could make use of if I needed it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Get a large and a small.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Cooking for 3, large is perfect. I cook for 5 regularly on mine. I am fostering a small currently and it's a nice combo but if I could do over I'd get an XL and a medium. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Large and MiniMax here... two of us at home (happy empty nesters!) but between the 2 I was able to cook for 17 at Thanksgiving including a 16lb turkey plus all the other accoutrements... If I were in to big entertainment I would probably go with 2 XL's or 2 Larges... but very happy with my setup.

PS... I bought the Large what seems like 20 years ago PX (Pre-XL) and at that time I was cooking for 4 and would have weekend friend cooks for 7 or 8 without issue.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any choice....

Best of luck!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Is that the question?
    And if so...if so...
    Who answers?
    Who answers?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    If I started all over I would get the XL (Have the Large + Minimax which I'm very happy with).  

You can get a 'lump reducer' or something like that for small cooks, also you can have a hot and warm zone (I have this now on my large because of a cracked fire box :), but will correct soon).

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    If $ is not a deal breaker go with the xl, you won't regret it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    XL + Medium

Love this setup.  If you are worried about the cost of lump then delete your account here and forget you ever saw this place. We are murder on your wallet.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have an L and an XL.  I use the L the most, by far.  With your prerequisites, I'd recommend an XL.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    We are just 2 and have a large. I will cook for 6-8 a few times a year and have never regretted my choice. The only time the large seemed small was when I had to drape a brisket over a fire brick because it was too long, which was no big deal.
    Stillwater, MN
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As I have said many times, go big or stay home.  On the XL you can always do smaller cooks, but on the L you can't do larger cooks.  I have an XL and have fired it for 20+lb turkey or just a single hotdog... (could have probably just used the weber chimney for that... but it was fun to fire up the XL. 
  • Abarnette
    Options
    Ozzie Issac I also have seen a person that chose to have 2 large eggs.  I can definitely see how the egg could take your wallet the from you. 
  • Abarnette
    Options
    Ozzie Issac I have a friend who has a primo xl and is talking about getting a medium to compliment it. I think in the end I am just going to have to jump in feet first. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    As I have said many times, go big or stay home.  On the XL you can always do smaller cooks, but on the L you can't do larger cooks.  I have an XL and have fired it for 20+lb turkey or just a single hotdog... (could have probably just used the weber chimney for that... but it was fun to fire up the XL. 
    Dang, I keep forgetting I DO have 3 grills... a Large, a MiniMax and a Weber Chimney!!  :)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Have had 6 kettles, own 3 now, and 3 eggs.

Keep the kettle.

Going from a kettle to an egg is a real estate challenge, but doable.

A large egg, OTG kettle is the perfect combo, better than any 2 egg combo.

I'm a little nutty, and by preferences, usually grill the mains on the bigger and better grill(kettle), or smoke the mains on the WSMs or KBQ...and do the sides, bake, stir fry, on my large. 

That is why I have 2 larges, and 2 OTGs.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."