Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control suggestions

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Temp control suggestions? (low and slow especially)

Comments

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Most times you want to sneak up on a temperature without going past. But for low & slow I usually start & hold my fire at 300-320 for about 15 minutes or so. That seems to get my charcoal going pretty good. I'll then open the lid and put my meat on. And then I'll close the bottom vent to around 1/8-1/4" or so. That usually keeps me around 250. If it tries to slowly creep up, I'll adjust with the daisy wheel at top. However, if it's determined to head back towards 300, I'll adjust with the bottom vent (always leaving it cracked some). I keep checking and making minor adjustments about every 15 minutes or so. When it seems like I've locked in, I might check it every once and a while.[p]...that's what works for me. Others have their system too. There have been some good suggestions on charcoal placement. But in my opinion the best piece of advice is to clean out the ash and make sure the air holes are not clogged before doing a long slow & low.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    James,
    Here's a link to my webpage on temperature control:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • hakalugi
    hakalugi Posts: 12
    Options
    TNW's pages are req'd reading and great.

note the latter section about the BBQ guru

After i did one boston butt and didn't sleep much that night (and had a flame out at 5am), i knew there had to be a better way.

I've since done 4 more with the guru, sleeping all night, and even use it for my dozen or so 3+ hr prime ribs.

without it, i could get good control for about 2hrs - 4hrs**, using the venting and charcoal arranging techniques, but for the overnight portions, it works great.

so learn 'long hand' first, then for your extended cooks, consider the calculator - a tool- not a replacement for knowing your egg, but a good tool in my view.

**i know, i know, tending it and drinking beer is 1/2 the fun. during the day/evening: you're right! but at night, i choose to sleep :)

-Hak
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    James,[p]
    Nice handle. Unfortunately, it is already taken.[p]I see you put as much careful thought into selecting your as I did mine. But, I got here first, so you're the one who has to pick a new one. :-)[p]There can be only one James. [p][p]