Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Buying a barrel of Bourbon

Options
G_S
G_S Posts: 62

So I have birthday coming in about a month, where I get hang another zero on the end.

And I was trying to come up with a cool & memorable gift, to get myself.

And it came into my mind, a barrel / cask of Bourbon! !!!
Or, whiskey, or scotch, or tequila.
I am not to picky.
But a barrel of booze

So has one ever done this?
How does it come?
Is it just a bunch of small bottels?
Or can I get one big barrel with a spicket on the bottom,  where I can just get out as much as need

I have a budget of around $3,000

How does getting one work?
Has anyone ever done this?
Insite?
Experience?
Advice?
Pictures?
Stories?
Is this even do able with my budget? 

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Best bourbon i ever had was cask strength, from natureboy at the Georgia mountain eggfest

he bought a bottle. But my understanding was that he got to taste a few before choosing. 

You might ask him. Chris, from Dizzy Pig

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Have a friend who bought a barrel of JD.  They actually couldn't sell it in the barrel.  They poured it all into specially labeled bottles and sent it all with the empty barrel.  Pretty cool deal.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What can not be done legally can be done in alternative ways, as this quote may be attributed to the wrong seer - Confucius.
    Options
    Ding ding ding. Must be sold through a liquor distributor and bottled. Still a cool idea. I would try to find a whiskey club in existence and join them or strike a deal. They will be very knowledgeable and potentially helpful. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    My brother in law did it with Buffalo Trace. I'll get the link...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Woodford Reserve does it. 
    http://www.woodfordreserve.com/whiskey/by-the-barrel/
    Price, I don't know.  I thought they said $5-6000 when I was there thus past Spring. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please keep us up on this.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• steel_egg
    Options
    Not a whiskey or liquor drinker for that matter but I'm curious as to how his ends up. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Costco is not allowed to sell liquor in my state (just beer and wine) but I vaguely recall a couple years ago from their catalog that they were selling barrels of some kind of whisky for a few thousand bucks. 

Don't know if they still offer that. Might check Sam's Club also.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    When I worked at my friends saw and small engine shop, we would talk about getting a barrel of Early Times and putting it up in the attic, with a plastic tube attached, closed off by a spring clamp, like the battery acid used. You can question the choice of whiskey, but hey- quantity over quality. We drank PBR, too.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    You visit the distillery and sample different batches. Once you decide, they will bottle and private label your selection. The distillery will ship the bottles to your local liquor store for pick up due to all of taxes and local laws involved in selling and transporting alcohol. I would recommend staying at 21c Museum and Hotel. Great place and convenient to Bardstown and Frankfort. Highly recommend Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve but Jim Beam is very good and may be less expensive. I understand barrels run around 5-6k.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Buy yourself a Still.  That would be cool and memorable......and it's a gift that keeps on giving.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Buy yourself a Still.  That would be cool and memorable......and it's a gift that keeps on giving.

I would love to do that. I watch that show Moonshiners all the time. I would just like to do it to say ive done it. Lord knows I have the privacy to do it.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    A barrel is a pretty obscene amount of bourbon... 53 gallons is 114 HANDLES (1.75 liter each) bottles in a barrel. Let's say you drank 1 handle a month.. it would take you 10 years to finish it all. You better really, really like whatever you decide to buy! Yes -- I'm jealous and come up with negatives to talk myself out of it.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Raymont one handle a month?

You have a very different group of friends than I do apparently I have to leave a weekly sacrificial 1.75 of Makers Mark on my work bench in the garage to keep the heathens out of the good stuff!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Jack is $10-12k per barrel and it's put into 240-250 750ml bottles FWIW
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Raymont said:
    A barrel is a pretty obscene amount of bourbon... 53 gallons is 114 HANDLES (1.75 liter each) bottles in a barrel. Let's say you drank 1 handle a month.. it would take you 10 years to finish it all. You better really, really like whatever you decide to buy! Yes -- I'm jealous and come up with negatives to talk myself out of it.
    more like two barrels bourbon and one barrel disaronno per year =) theres 7 empty handles on the counter since xmas eve day im saving for a  friend, i dont know what he is going to do with them yet =) probably a good thing he didnt ask for barrels =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Find a whiskey club. They already do this sort of thing and cut it up among many members. You will benefit from their extensive knowledge and experience as well as their contacts throughout the country. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Find a whiskey club. They already do this sort of thing and cut it up among many members. You will benefit from their extensive knowledge and experience as well as their contacts throughout the country. 
    Sorry to go off-topic, but when is it appropriate to drink commemorative bottles? I have 7 years worth of Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby commemorative bottles unopened. They are nice but aren't really a display (stored in back of cabinet).. at what point do you drink? Do you hold forever? I ask due to your bottle from 2011.. Do you see yourself ever drinking? 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

I am not locked into just bourbon.

I know Emmitt Smith, was doing it with Tequila.
    And I do really like tequila!!

But based upon my current drinking habits.
    I go through about one .750 bottle of any given liquor ever 3 months.

If a barrel comes with
    50_gallons.
    189271_milliters
    189271 divided by 750 = 252 bottles.
    252 bottles divided by me drinking 5 a year = 50 years of drinking. Give or take afew years for Parties, Gifts, Eggfests & tailgating.

I can store a barrel with a tap / spicket on it over in corner of my man cave and it cool.

Not sure where I could 250 + bottles, for the next 50_years.
    It is not like something you can keep in the garage, you have to keep it in semi- temperature-controlled environment.

• SirSquatch
    Options
    Losing 3% of your whiskey every year to evaporation would make attempting to keep a barrel less than ideal. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You don't want to keep it in the barrel. it wil continue to take on the oak and become to overpowering at some point. They age to a certain time frame for the flavor profile. You keep in in there another 20 years it's going to be nasty.and look like coffee. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My bro in law did this for his business with single malt scotch. It was cool. They branded it with his name and made custom boxes for the bottles. 

He gave them out to family and work associates are Christmas presents for a couple of years. IT was great scotch. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't buy a still, make your own.  If you buy you're put into the federal registry and the ATF can show up at any time.  The gooberment loves its taxes, and bypassing that process really makes folks angry.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @RedSkip this is true but as long as you are making for personal consumption you aren't going to get any grief.  Hell the ATF is so backlogged as long as you aren't out at the Farmers Market peddling your brand of Peach Pie they won't hassle you. I have enough legal Class 3 firearms that I have been expecting a knock on my door for about a decade. I finally had lunch with two field agents a few months back (just by odd coincidence with some local sheriff guys) and they flat out told me as long as you weren't getting reported for blatantly breaking the law they don't have the time or resources to pester you. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Or a Grainfather (1 device beer brewing system) and it's still attachement!

https://www.grainfather.com/shop/distilling.html

Beer AND Whiskey!!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit

"Don't sell, don't tell."  I've even read angry wife that ratted out her husband.  

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-02-11/wife-outs-husband-moonshine-still

My my thought is, if your going to take the time to make it, why not learn the craft and make the still too.  It's not hard, but often I find that people are lazy and just want it done for them.  It's the society we live in today - instant gratification.

BTW, not sure on Canadian laws, only speaking for the US.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA