Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decisions, Decisions...28" or 36" Blackstone?

Options
Following this thread, I was able to score the 28" Blackstone for $50 and the 36" for $150.

Which one do I keep? I asked this in the other thread and heard about uneven heating on the 28" but not much else. It's just the wife and I so don't really need the size but don't want to sacrifice performance.

Is the 36" worth three times the price in this case?

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I dunno, but I'm in the garage assembling my 36 inch and so far it looks like a great size to do multiple things simultaneously or for a larger group. 

Hopefully I get this dude popped together pretty quick because I plan on doing fried rice and beef and broccoli tonight and pancakes, bacon and hash browns in the am

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Well, at $50 the 28" is certainly a bargain. But I think you will like the adjustability and temp gradient that the 4 burner 36" model allows. I have the 36" and am glad I do. If you have the room I think you will be happier with the larger one. That is a GREAT price as well.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If money is tight and the extra $100 is an issue unbox the 28" and start cooking. If you feel there is not enough room sell it and move up to the the 36".
    If you start cooking on it now, you will know before the 30 return is up. 
    You will always be able to sell the 28" on Craigs List and get your $50 back.
    Other's might know for sure, but the 36", I believe, has a slightly thicker metal in the griddle. I know the smaller 17" model used a thinner rolled steel. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    36 no doubt 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I read a review on Amazon (here) that states that they changed the design of the 28 inch in 2015. The original design had circular burners and then they switched to an "H" shaped burner that resolved the issue with uneven heating.  So, if it has the "H" style burners I think you should be fine with performance. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I read a review on Amazon (here) that states that they changed the design of the 28 inch in 2015. The original design had circular burners and then they switched to an "H" shaped burner that resolved the issue with uneven heating.  So, if it has the "H" style burners I think you should be fine with performance. 
    Cool!  Good to know.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Go 36
    2lbs good bacon, 1lb of turkey bacon and 20 links. Still tons of room. Did pancakes for 6 after  
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    both
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I can't find the 36inch in my area....all are 299.   So I have to get the 28inch 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I would like to have another 36. 

To do a big breakfast I dont have enough room for all the pancakes eggs meat and veggies I like to do. Although I am not sure I could effectively keep up with 2.
    I say go 36!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna keep the 36 since it has 4 wheels and is easier for me to move around the patio. Plus, I doubt anyone has said "wish I got the 28 instead of the 36". Thanks, everyone.

If anyone in the S Florida area wants to buy the 28 from me for the $50 + tax I paid for it, just PM me.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    don't have one, but as I always say (well sometimes anyway...), Go BIG or go home.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    36".   You can never have too  much real estate!!  Just like I shoudl have gotten an XL when I had the chance!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Easy decision.  36"
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I'm gonna keep the 36 since it has 4 wheels and is easier for me to move around the patio. Plus, I doubt anyone has said "wish I got the 28 instead of the 36". Thanks, everyone.

If anyone in the S Florida area wants to buy the 28 from me for the $50 + tax I paid for it, just PM me.
    Where I S Florida r u
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    GlennM said:

Where I S Florida r u
    Coral Springs and downtown Miami.
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm probably missing something here, but dumb question... If a 28" is $50 and a 36" is $150, and if more space is better, why not get two 28" griddles for $100 and have even more space while saving $50 (assuming the burner problems in the 28" are fixed)? Or buy one 28" now and buy a second one later on if you need more space? What's the drawback to this?

With multiple 28"'s around, you could be like the Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson of the griddle. :-)
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Space. Hard for me to justify one of these, much less two, given it is just the wife and me. 

PS - those references are going to be lost on the young folks here. :smiley:
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    We are going to Naples. A bit to far but I would like to get one for $50
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario