Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else dosen't drink?

2»

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited December 2016
    I quit about 9 or 10 years ago. Not for any moral or religious reasons, I just hated missing out on parts of my life being too drunk to remember. Watched my father miss beautiful parts of his life passed out. Wife and kids have a drink now and then, plenty of booze at parties and we keep it in the house, just no interest in it for me. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • I drink very rarely. After finally retiring after 34.5 years in Law Enforcement, I have seen more than my fair share of the destruction that can be caused by uncontrolled alcohol consumption.  The one demon that I still live with is the sight in 1982. As a young rookie officer, I arrived at a head on traffic crash.  When we turned over the 5 year old boy who was ejected and did a 50 yard face skid in the roadway.  I had never seen such a sight in my life. The sight and smell of that child lying on the hot 2pm July asphalt will always live with you.  Guy who crossed the center line, who was not hurt, was plowed. He had worked a midnight shift and started drinking at 6am when he got off from work. Another run for more beer was the straw that destroyed two families.  He left a wife and child behind when he was sentenced to 40 years in prison.  The child lost a family and I gained a memory I had to learn to live with.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited December 2016
    I totally understand why some people don't drink. I also think not everyone should. Some people can't drink a few they have to drink them all. Angry drunks get in huge fights and such. I mainly drink socially. Hardly ever by myself. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • As a home brewer of craft beers, it is very easy to get out of control with the high alcohol content and tasty brews. I've seen too many family members, friends and ordinary people lose too much. It's not worth losing everything to something you can't remember. 

I've cut back to 2 or 3 drinks a week or none at all. I feel much better and not as young as I used to be... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    ryantt said:
    Wife and I do not drink, just not something we do, we grew up strict baptist. 
    Me too (the baptist part, not the "i don't drink part"). Went to Christian school through 9th grade. Church every Wednesday, twice every Sunday, chapel every Thursday in school and Christian camp for 2 weeks every summer. I like to think I got all my church in early :)
    Exactly how I grew up.  Never understood why Baptists don't drink and then tell you about Jesus turning water into wine.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont drink when im working or fishing. never had a hangover either, i just dont get them. i also dont understand getting angry while drunk, its a family rule never to get angry while drunk, just let it slide, wait til the morning and then go hit the bastard =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    'I feel sorry for people that don't drink...when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day....'
     B) 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • My only problem is two hands and one mouth
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I probably have less than four drinks a month.  When I have a drink it is to enjoy it not to get drunk and I can't remember the last time I had more than one.  Some things just go with beer, i.e. pizza and chicken wings.  I use to work as a bartender when in school and maybe that showed me how silly drinkers behave by being forced not to drink but being surrounded by folks drinking.  That was before it became socially unacceptable to drink and drive.  Never got the pleasure that comes from cigarettes either.

Gerhard
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Count me in as a non-drinker, took awhile to learn that I can have as much fun drinking water or soda, much cheaper, no hangover, don't act stupid....much easier all around.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I've started drinking more non-alcoholic beer. Thing is I love beer, not the alcohol but the taste. Need to find a better na beer though. I've tried making my own before, it's better but such a pain and it doesn't store well. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • I quit in 2000.  I drink that na stuff now
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • gmac said:
    I've started drinking more non-alcoholic beer. Thing is I love beer, not the alcohol but the taste. Need to find a better na beer though. I've tried making my own before, it's better but such a pain and it doesn't store well. 
    What NA beer do you like?  I tried many as well.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • I like a little wine, a tasty beer once in a while, but find the taste of hard liquor (any variety)...disgusting. There, I said it. I don't know how you guys can drink that stuff!
    Judy in San Diego
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Don't really care to drink,  but will have an occasional drink with friends and such. 

I'd rather have tea, Cheerwine,  or Diet Sunkist. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @tarheelmatt diet Sunkist is the best stuff on earth.  I've got to be careful with it as I've been know to chug down a few cans real fast.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited December 2016
    I like a little wine, a tasty beer once in a while, but find the taste of hard liquor (any variety)...disgusting. There, I said it. I don't know how you guys can drink that stuff!
    Judy, it's like the company of women, it's an acquired taste. Jk, jk. Don't shoot. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like a little wine, a tasty beer once in a while, but find the taste of hard liquor (any variety)...disgusting. There, I said it. I don't know how you guys can drink that stuff!
    Judy, it's like the company of women, it's an acquired taste. Jk, jk. Don't shoot. 
    We should gift her a spot of Woodford.  Game changer eh?  Jk.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have consumed a few over the years....as I age, my consumption is dwendling. I seldom consume during the work week....but enjoy a few on the weekends and tailgates. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gmac
    Jeremiah said:
    @gmac not to sidetrack the wagon here but I'd love to talk brewing sometime, just getting into it my self. 
    @Jeremiah. I sent you a pm but it's not showing in my messages now for some reason. Did you get it?  If not will resend. Happy to help if I can. 
  • gmac
    gmac said:
    @ElkhornHusker
    Mostly the Presidents Choice Red Brew we get here in Canada. Don't care for Exel or that Budweiser Probibition. I've heard good things about Becks NA. Probably less choices here in Canada. 
  • BBQBuddy said:
    ryantt said:
    Wife and I do not drink, just not something we do, we grew up strict baptist. 
    Me too (the baptist part, not the "i don't drink part"). Went to Christian school through 9th grade. Church every Wednesday, twice every Sunday, chapel every Thursday in school and Christian camp for 2 weeks every summer. I like to think I got all my church in early :)
    Exactly how I grew up.  Never understood why Baptists don't drink and then tell you about Jesus turning water into wine.
    I know lots of good drinking baptists. My dad drank a little and my grandparents (who were founding members of the church) drank too. I have one tea totaling sister and one we will just say "not so much" :). I don't do the church thing anymore but it has been a huge part up my upbringing. Took me several years to deprogram.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    gmac said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @gmac not to sidetrack the wagon here but I'd love to talk brewing sometime, just getting into it my self. 
    @Jeremiah. I sent you a pm but it's not showing in my messages now for some reason. Did you get it?  If not will resend. Happy to help if I can. 
    @gmac no I didn't. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit said:
    I have been trying to drink less Monday through Thursday. It's hard.
    This is my scenario as well. 

Major props to all who have recognized it as an issue and have acted upon it - this takes great strength and courage. While steps that may have been taken no doubt benefit you as individuals, they also greatly benefit friends and loved ones who value your well-being.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
         Put the Camels down in '96, the booze in '98. I know the Lord helped me with both. Some folks call it cold turkey, but I know I had help from above. almost lost my health, and family, and did lose a career before my eyes got opened.

The hardest thing is when I pour the stout in the pan for pepper stout beef- Damn, that smells good!!!!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • gmac said:
    gmac said:
    @ElkhornHusker
    Mostly the Presidents Choice Red Brew we get here in Canada. Don't care for Exel or that Budweiser Probibition. I've heard good things about Becks NA. Probably less choices here in Canada. 
    Never seen Excel or the Bud product.  I like Clausthauler,  St. Pauli NA, Beck's NA is good.  If you are a Guinness fan, look for Kaliber
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.