Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Bread

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks Dr. Chicken for the 2 bread recipes. I am not sure what the differences are - other than one has a 2nd rise - but I will review the recipes I just printed out and give them a try soon. I have to ask, because I really know little about baking, what does it mean to "roll dough into itself". What does that mean? Is that just rolling it to blend it all together or what? I don't have a bread machine so I see where C~W had to make a few changes - as I would to. Other than that term - it sounds easy enough. Anybody tried this in the egg other than Woody??[p]Tim

Comments

• Tim M,
    Blending it back into itself means to seal it so there's no air gaps and as it cooks it will cook as 1 piece, not as 2 pieces. All your doing is making a rectangle out of the dough and then rolling it up like you would a flat piece of paper. Sealing the layers as you go. Follow me? I'll e-mail you the recipes this weekend like I told C~W I would for him with the originals on ms/word. Does that work for you?[p]Dr. C

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, and Tim, ..I was hung up on that one for about 30 seconds but as Dave says, and may I inject, if you flatten out your dough into a sheet about 1/4 inch thick or less, and 12 to 14 inches long and 5 or 6 inches wide..all approximate to your dough ball size, then begin by taking one edge on the long part, and roll it up pinching the ends as you go into a tight roll of about 2 - three inches thick and you have a nice thick dough stick. Then place it on the greased or Pam'ed aluminum pan with a sprinkle of corn meal much like a pizza prep, slice it..and rise it in your oven at 100 degrees..till doubled in size..then into the 400 degree pre heated BGE. As per Dave's (Dr.Chicken) instructions. It works great...Nice bread.[p]My doughball acted a lot like pizza dough and it likes to retract back till you get it hammered out.[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks - I will try this really soon. Sounds great.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, don't forget a barrier..the (3 legged whatcha call it) should be the ticker for it. I would use that one and sit the pan right on the (whatcha call it) :-) Throne??
    C~W[p]