Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you spot my mistake? Rib disaster in the making?

Options
What's wrong with this picture?   Hint: I'm having trouble maintaining temp now that the ribs are on. 
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Kick ass is out and there is no grate in bottom. Lump laying in ash chamber
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Chubbs, yep, what an idiot I am. Rather than trying to remove hot charcoal and start over I decided to press on and go "commando" since I promised ribs for dinner at a certain time.  Dusting off the Weber gasser just in case.  Will have to be vigilant on temps because it's already gotten clogged up once.  Newbies, take note!  Have a pre-flight checklist! 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I hope the bottom doesn't crack!
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    have done that setting up in the dark for an alnighter, cook went fine but it was a full load.  you can get away with a 220 dome temp if you cook them direct on a raised grid, just to keep the fire smaller and it will burn less lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Ha!  Sounds like something I would do.  Well, except for the KAB =)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Good pair of firefighter gloves and you could at least get the OEM grate in there.  But likely too far into it now and besides what's a little challenge.
    And @Chubbs-glad you are back on the forum.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Hmmm... didn't think about possible cracking the base. Sh!t.  I will keep her under 300 and then use the gasser to finish if necessary.  
  • JethroVA
    Options
    "It puts the charcoal in the basket"
    "Put the focking charcoal in the basket!"
    That should help me remember next time...

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Little water will cool that fire down.  Looks like you're in for about $6 worth of charcoal...easy enough to start over.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh.I have not done that yet, but many other things. Laughing with you, not at you.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Now there's one screw-up I have't done yet (although I've pulled my share).
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    It puts the basket or grate in..
    Or else it gets the hose again

XL BGE
    MD
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about cracking.  I've built entire fires in that chamber while unfreezing my lid.  Plus lots of hot lump falls down anyway.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well, how were they?
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I just did this tonight. When I put my electric starter in there I guess I was a bit too forceful and popped the grate sideways. Didn't catch it until I noticed my coals weren't lighting properly. Doh!
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @theyolksonyou they turned out just fine.  I had to poke at the fire through the bottom vent every so often to keep an opening for the air.