Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting my charcoal , am I doing it wrong?

Options
I see a lot of comments about special starting cubes or fancy electric starters even weed burning torches.  I wad up a paper towel with some canola oil and stick in my lump charcoal and light it with a match. Am I missing something ? Will this screw something up eventually ? Just curious

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    That way is perfect. I have been doing it that way for 3 years now.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    been doing that for years now, have used most of the other methods and have always come back to whats on hand, paper towel and oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I use propane when I have it, paper towel and used frying oil when I don't. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Propane torch kept in the cabinet of my egg table. I feel I get much faster starts than any other method, and a bottle of propane seems to last forever.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you can tell with just the postings here, many ways to get there and about all will work.  Experiment if you want but once you find a method that works for you, that's all you need.
    Wait til you ask a recipe question if you want to see divergent opinions.  It's all good.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    Whatever works for you is the best way. I use a heat gun from Northern Tool. Got the idea from this forum. I used to use a chimney starter but got tired of the charcoal popping and burning my gasket when I was pouring it in the Egg. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Whatever works, do it.  The only thing a torch can come in handy for is lighting really quick, or lighting from the top or bottom (or in a selective spot).

The BBQ Dragon is another way to really speed the process up.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I also have tried all the methods mentioned.  I keep coming back to 91% rubbing alcohol.  Quick, clean, odorless.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Oil on paper works fine.  I normally use a propane weed torch because it's more interactive. Loads of fun making the charcoal spark!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I use my Looftlighter for 4 or 5 years now. I looks like a lot of the more recent devices are trying to ride on it's reputation while being just different enough to be a bit cheaper and to avoid being sued for patent infringement.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    I am in the chimney camp---quicker up to temp and stable--I do have a weed burner for my Trailer set up, mine would be a bit overkill on the Egg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    paper towel and oil here, but I want a looflighter simply cause they look like fun!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I like to light with a torch. Before lighting in one spot I hit the entire surface area with fire. It burns off much of the V.O.C.'s, cutting down on the time it takes to get rid of the white smoke.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Yeah, you're doing it wrong. If you don't do it my way all your children will be born naked.
    Cooking on the coast
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    I use a cheap heat gun. Works as well as a Looflighter from what I can tell. I get glowing embers in 30 seconds.  If I'm going for a hot fire then I use my small shop vac in blower mode. I can be nuclear within a few minutes. 

Note: if you use the shop vac method then be careful of flying sparks.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    No more kids please!!!! Mine are grown that's why I could finally afford and egg!!!!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I've tried oil and napkin, starter cubes, electric starter, butane torch, and the weed propane torch. Hands down the weed torch wins. It lights the egg in seconds and you can have your food on in minutes with good lump. I dislike having to light the egg any other way. 

$20 Harbor Freight:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I started with the cubes and when I ran through those I switched to paper towel and oil and have not felt any reason to "upgrade" to any of the other options. I'm sure the others are great, but I'm to limit the non-essential gadgets I have sitting around. In addition to that, my egg is in a wooden table so limiting the sparks is probably best practice for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    I see a lot of comments about special starting cubes or fancy electric starters even weed burning torches.  I wad up a paper towel with some canola oil and stick in my lump charcoal and light it with a match. Am I missing something ? Will this screw something up eventually ? Just curious

If it results in burning charcoal, it is an approved method (as long as it doesn't contain gasoline, kerosene or lighter fluid). 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This just works. Grilling in 4 or 5 mins from lighting the torch.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• setdahook
    Options
    If you go fast you cant relax and enjoy a conversation with a neighbor over the fence with a beer. Napkins in a coffe can with a oil soaking on them right now. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    setdahook said:
    If you go fast you cant relax and enjoy a conversation with a neighbor over the fence with a beer. Napkins in a coffe can with a oil soaking on them right now. 
    Ok, unless that neighbor is topless get a torch. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I've tried oil and napkin, starter cubes, electric starter, butane torch, and the weed propane torch. Hands down the weed torch wins. It lights the egg in seconds and you can have your food on in minutes with good lump. I dislike having to light the egg any other way. 

$20 Harbor Freight:

I use this as well. It works great and a 20 pound tank of propane will last forever.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I like to light with a torch. Before lighting in one spot I hit the entire surface area with fire. It burns off much of the V.O.C.'s, cutting down on the time it takes to get rid of the white smoke.
    I never thought of that. Getting rid of the V.O.C.'s is a good thing. It seems to take so long to burn them off using the lighter cubes. That's the only thing I don't like about my egg.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    I have a torch, (from a recommendation here), and firestarter cubes, (from a recommendation here).  Use both.

Torch is faster when I want a large area lit for grilling in my XL.  And it allows me to plan my time more accurately.  I mean, if doing burgers or steak, I know about how long the cook will be, and how long it will take the coals to be ready, so I know when to start in order to have meat on the table at 6:00.

A cube is fine when I want to light one small area for a low-and-slow or roasting.  For these cooks, predicting the time you'll be ready to serve is less critical because you have more leeway and resting time.  And a cube kinda fits this laid-back cook.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    herbu said:
    I have a torch, (from a recommendation here), and firestarter cubes, (from a recommendation here).  Use both.

Torch is faster when I want a large area lit for grilling in my XL.  And it allows me to plan my time more accurately.  I mean, if doing burgers or steak, I know about how long the cook will be, and how long it will take the coals to be ready, so I know when to start in order to have meat on the table at 6:00.

A cube is fine when I want to light one small area for a low-and-slow or roasting.  For these cooks, predicting the time you'll be ready to serve is less critical because you have more leeway and resting time.  And a cube kinda fits this laid-back cook.

I even use the torch when I am going to do a low and slow cook. It will light a small area in the middle just fine. It's not a time thing for me. I don't usually get in a hurry when I cook. It is just convenient and really economical.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger, another way around it is if you have a cook coming up where you will be pressed for time, prep the egg the day before and light it for a half hour or so and let it burn off the bad stuff. 
    A torch gets you up to speed so much faster. First I had this Mapp gas torch
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-High-Intensity-Trigger-Start-Head-Handheld-Head/50126403
    It worked well, but a couple of shirts were sacrificed in the process. Now I have one of these
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Lawn-and-Garden-Torch-Handheld-Head/50126417
    Have not burned a shirt since, and because the bottle does not need to be inverted, it can use the cheaper propane tanks.
    If you like you can go all "Tim Taylor Tool Time,"  and get a weed burner, that is the fastest, but then you have to have a big propane tank.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Mickey said:
    setdahook said:
    Ok, unless that neighbor is topless get a torch. 
    you need better looking neighbors, this paddleboard craze has been very nice on the lake

Image result for woman on paddleboard

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    SemolinaPilchard I have one of these if I can ever figure out where my wife stashed it. - https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Brass-Pencil-Flame-Torch-Kit/1000095816

I'll have to remember the tip about starting the fire the day before and snuffing it out. Thanks.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• jstewart12a
    Options
    I like the starter cubes myself. I light it and by the time I am done doing my prep work the egg is up to temp, if not it's pretty close. One day I may get an electric starter or a torch, but I am in no rush. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA