Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back from Vacation... First Cook.

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Reebz.jpg
<p />Spares![p]Lazy Man's Ribs...[p]Trim spares to a St. Louis cut. Rub with your favorite.. in this case it was the last remnants of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, Dizzy Dust and Raging River mixed with turbinado sugar. Cooked at 260 dome indirect for 6 hours without touching except to sauce 45 minutes before pulling off.
Served with squash casserole from the garden.... awesome summer meal second to Stike's post of beets and lamb chops. [p]Summer food is good![p]john

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    oh my god.
    to heck with me and my fancy crap lately.[p]as they say in france. sh!zznit, yo. dassum damn fine spares.[p]ultra stoopid question, here. when i get done, no matter the sauce, i never get them glistening beautiful glazed looking ribs.[p]what's in the sauce? and how much do you add?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    stike,[p]Dude, it's all in the trick of the light... aint nothing different from what you're doing. :~)
    Apply a very thin coat of sauce about 30 to 45 minutes before you pull them off the grill is all. The sauce on my ribs was Blues Hog... but any sauce should give you the sheen you're looking for. Maybe if you wait until dusk when the light is low like I did you'll get the look you're searching for....

• stike
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    hahaha[p]will do.
    'thin' sounds like the trick[p]and dusk, yeah. that too

• WooDoggies,[p]Dumb question, but what does "St. Louis cut" mean? Thanks.
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    JBuffett,[p]Thirdeye put together a very good pictorial on how to trim spares to a St. Louis cut. Click on the link below.
    Here at the Woo Farm we will freeze the rib trimmings until we have accumulated enough to fill the large for another slow cook. We like them as much as the spares. Good meat with just a little more work... kinda like dismantling a blue crab.[p]john

[ul][li]Thirdeye Trims Spares[/ul]
  • stike
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    i screwed up once (there's a joke there, i'm sure) by putting my trimmings on with a butt at the beginning of the overnight.[p]meant to put them on in the morning after the butt's head start, then eat them both around 1 pm.[p]well, when i got up, the trimmings had been on maybe eight or nine hours and i thought they were wrecked.[p]no joke, they were the BEST ribs i ever made. hard to wreck them. i ate a pound of ribs at around 8 am for breakfast. thery were perfect and moist, etc.[p]love them things

• WooDoggies,
    Glad your back buddy, I am guessing the trip was a complete success. It's hard to have a bad time, what with all those mountauns and such.
    Belair is just a few days away, are you going to be able to make this one? Awful close to home and it looks like we might have the whole team for once, can't imagine seeing all your smiling faces together at the same time.[p]Talk at ya soon,
    Hatch

• WooDoggies
    Options
    ThreeCooks.jpg
    <p />Hey Kenny, [p]Yes, I will most definitely be there. Not sure if it will be thurs. night or early friday morning when I arrive. Talked with Tony and he's all jazzed about being there... and I think this will be the first time we'll all be together since New Holland last year.
    See you in a few short days, brudda!

• WooDoggies
    Options
    RibTips.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]That's the kind of screwup I like.... rib tips sho am good eatin!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    DSCN1271.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    well, hopefully, it won't be as hot, and you boys will be better behaved this year!! .. ..heeeee

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Now that's funny.[p]Don't you like how the handicap sign is illuminated and floating over Nature Boy?[p]I think the heat made Bob just a wee bit testy.... well, a little more than usual. [p]heee!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    LOL. ..never noticed that before. ...knock on wood, early forcast for this friday/saturday is mid 80s during thday and 70s in the evening. ..should be good weather along with the good company. ...glad we're gonna get to see ya!!!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Now that's a nice suprise!! Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the team on Friday. [p]Chuck
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Great Shot. I always knew the Guru guys were number one in draft control. Heeee.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    No cat?

• WooDoggies
    Options
    July132006021.jpg
    <p />Smokin' Todd,[p]I don't eat cat but here's one of Dr Foo with his entourage just for you....[p]heee!

• WooDoggies
    Options
    It's gonna be a blast, Chuck. See you in a few days, budday![p]john

• WooDoggies
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]It's been way too long, max. Can't wait to see you and all of the Free Range fellers.
    Don't worry, I'll be bringing fresh mushrooms from the mushroom capitol of the world..... shitake and oysters... mmmmmm.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    WooDoggies, been on vacation and next thing you know, off to a competition. You hiring.....LOL[p]Have fun. T

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Thanks Tom. :~) Nice thing is, Bel Air is just 45 minutes down the road.
    Why don't you drop in and join in the fun... at the very least, we'll feed and water ya.