Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last nights Beer (Sierra Mist) Butt Chicken

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I made a Citrus themed beer can chicken. Marinated the bird in orange and lime juice and the following spices. Coated with lemon pepper, lime pepper, bitter orange spice(Goya Brand), and citrus grill. Instead of using beer in the can I used Lemon and Lime soda. I used no smoking wood at all. The bird cooked for about 1.5 hours at 325 degrees dome temperature. [p]The skin was too rubbery for my liking, but boy oh boy did the meat taste GOOD! It was really moist too.[p]The flavor wasn't quite as "bright" as I would have liked. Maybe next time I will only use lime juice for the marinade.[p]E[p]P8060009.jpg[p]P8060010.jpg[p]P8060011.jpg[p]P8060013.jpg

Comments

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    I've had problems in the past with rubbery skin too. Some of the chickens today are just so (BLEEP)ing fat. I've had better luck with a slow-ish & low-ish cook (around 250-270 for about 3 hours). The chicken is still moist but the skin gets really crisp.[p]Next time I'm going to use one of those injectors on my chicken. Not for the moisture, but to get some of the flavors down into the meat. ...assuming they stay there. I'm wondering whether heat & pressure will force them out. But those citrus flavors sound good and different from what we normally have.