Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try Dry Aging

Options
Ok @JustineCaseyFeldown, I found this at the grocer, at what I think is a deal, and I will start the Dry Age process tomorrow. If everything works out as planned I should have some good steaks by Valentine's Day. Thanks for all your advice, will keep you posted!
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Good luck! 

Long history of dry aging in this forum (and its predecessor).  Can't take any credit. But don't panic, and keepnus posted. 

Have you had dry aged beef before?
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I was also inspired by a recent post and bought a rib roast at 1/2 price today!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Good luck! 

Long history of dry aging in this forum (and its predecessor).  Can't take any credit. But don't panic, and keepnus posted. 

No I have not. I am very interested in this...wish me luck and thanks for the inspiration!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Options
    I was also inspired by a recent post and bought a rib roast at 1/2 price today!
    I too went shopping for a rib roast and found this NY Strip and thought I would try this. I have 3 rib roasts in freezer don't know why I didn't thaw one of those. I don't know if the moisture content would be the same after a freeze.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    piney said:
    Good luck! 

No I have not. I am very interested in this...wish me luck and thanks for the inspiration!
    Gary, this is as easy as it seems so long as your dry aging environment is good.  Insure your temp is 38 or below, some say <40 and have your roast elevated over a sheet pan for airflow.  You're in for some tasty beef my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JustineCaseyFeldown last night and decided to be on the lookout for a nice priced roast...lucked out today! I've been lurking on this topic for about 3 yrs...
    I placed it in bottom of fridge when I got home and set my calendar for 45 days=2/9/2017. Will cook on the 11th so will be 47 days. My plan is real easy...just wait!!! Nothing else!    
    Rome, GA
  • piney
    Options
    ^^^Thanks Brent, I'm going to give it a try
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Biggest thing to remember is that you are not merely making a nice red fresh steak taste a little better, you are fundamentally changing it and encouraging it to become something different.  

Different texture, color, smell, flavor, etc. 

so don't be alarmed

i usually advocate trying to find a local source for aged beef, and buying some. Untrimmed, too. 

Most only go 21-28 days. Barely enough for a good start. 

I didn't notice much of a difference my first couple dry aged steaks (purchased elsewhere). Part of the reason was that steaks on the BGE were so much better than from my gas grill, that the incremental difference for dry aging was lost on me. 

Took a year before things became clear. That, and I found a place that went 45 days. Which is MUCH different than 21-28. 

Goofle for a place called "The Meat House" near you. They expanded across country with a handful of shops. They are the originators of the 45 day number (which is why this place ended up with the same preference.  Followed by most of the web now via the brethren and umai forums).  

• bgebrent
    Options
    piney said:
    ^^^Thanks Brent, I'm going to give it a try
    Look forward to your results brother!
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JustineCaseyFeldown last night and decided to be on the lookout for a nice priced roast...lucked out today! I've been lurking on this topic for about 3 yrs...
    I placed it in bottom of fridge when I got home and set my calendar for 45 days=2/9/2017. Will cook on the 11th so will be 47 days. My plan is real easy...just wait!!! Nothing else!    
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    The 1st 1/2 of my post disappeared... sorry if it does not make sense
    Rome, GA
  • piney
    Options
    I will start mine tomorrow and 2/10 will be the day. I will probably cook 2/10 or the next couple days because 2/10 is on Friday and that gives me the weekend.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I am interested in trying this, but my wife is not getting on board......  I picked up a prime rib today and tried to sneak it into the fridge, but it is now cut into steaks and in the freezer.  She cannot grasp the idea of leaving it in the fridge for more than a day or two.  I may have to find a few steaks that have already aged and cook those for her, if she does not get sick I might have a chance (of course I would not tell her they had been aged until the next day  =)).
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Remind her that the meat has been in the fridge for two weeks or so already. Before it got to you. How does the meat suddenly  go 'bad' after two days in your fridge?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    That is the front page of the umai forum
  • bgebrent
    Options
    That is the front page of the umai forum
    Bag fags.  Sorry up front ;)
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Oh man. 

Now. I give them grief but jeez. Hahaha

there ARE good reasons for using them

it's just none of those reasons have ever been proferred here. It's ALWAYS because "my wife doesn't want unwrapped meat in the fridge"

Bad brent. Bad bad brent. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Oh man. 

Now. I give them grief but jeez. Hahaha

there ARE good reasons for using them

it's just none of those reasons have ever been proferred here. It's ALWAYS because "my wife doesn't want unwrapped meat in the fridge"

Bad brent. Bad bad brent. 
    Just a little humor.  Never had the need.  100 included.  I'll retreat and wish everyone a happy New Year.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    100 days was too dried for me. You win
  • bgebrent
    Options
    100 days was too dried for me. You win
    I concur.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    LOL, some battles just need to be fought with strategy.  Full on frontal attacks are not always the most successful.

She loves good steak, just need to get past the visuals.  I may have miscalculated by showing her some videos from Youtube, some of those chunks of meat were rather crusty.  I am going to check out the fag bags......or whatever Brent called them.  That might at least be a good starting place.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Go for it, Gary.  1st try, stay away from the extremes.  I'm sure you have spider-hole secret refrigerators you can stash and age the meat to keep the little lady from complaining about your "science experiment".  Knowing you, you're like me in that just regular steaks just ain't enough for a manly man...push the limits, brother!!
    Options
    ps - obviously I've been drinking.  Post plenty of pics!
    Options
    I use the bags because it does placate my wife. I would rather have dry aged beef than not, so if that makes me "whipped" or a fag" - so be it. 
    I choose my battles, and this one I still feel like I won. I apparently get the same result as unbagged and the added $7 cost per full 7 bone roast at about $11/LB for prime is still > 50% less than what you would pay if bought at the store - if it can even be found locally.

My wife said she has a big surprise that is associated with this charcuterie and meat aging aspect of my cooking because she really likes it too, and I will find out what it is the first week in January. I do not know what it is, but I know I can not wait!!! She is great at giving gifts!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.