Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket burger questions

Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The grinding attachment for the kitchenaid mixer arrived. Thanks to all for the help on that one. Now to make brisket burgers. [p]So, during lunch today, I stopped at Sams and picked up two choice flats, just under 7 pounds each. On the way home, I pondered the following. [p]1. Is it best to grind, patty and freeze or cut the brisket to portions, freeze and grind later.
2. Is there any difference between the flat and point for hamburgers. I'm thinking buy a packer, trim the flat for brisket and grind the point for burgers.
3. Select vs. Choice. Sams has choice flats and select packers, Costco which is farther away has choice grade packers and no flats. [p]Any ideas are appreciated.[p]Dang it, just remembered I forgot the beer. T

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    rbeysliced.jpg
    <p />Sandbagger,
    I buy select whole ribeyes and wet age for 30 days (from pack date) before slicing. So tender. I think I would do the same with briskets. I also would cut up the entire whole brisket, grind mix together and grind again. I think a flat would not have enough fat content for a juicy burger.
    It has been a couple days, when I was cutting meat.[p]Mike[p]I didn't forget my aiming fluid. I saw that well conditioned swing on the 2006 video.

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Sandbagger,
    Hey Tom, all good questions. On Friday night I picked up a choice flat that, I thought, had a goodly amount of fat. Used the KitchenAid grinder for the first time (worked great) doing a double grind using all the fat - the wife thought it may have been to much...WRONG.[p]I wanted to cook them the exact same way as my other burgers to get a fair comparision - is brisket the way to go? Put some DP Cow Lick and onto the egg.[p]Although the flavor was good, they were drier than a popcorn fart. I have seen where others had added liquid before the cook, but I wanted to do get a good comparision.[p]Bottom line - need more fat, somehow. Please let us know how yours turn out.

• Sandbagger,
    I got my Kitchen Aid grinding attachment last week and just ground some brisket yesterday. I had a whole packer from Sam’s though I am not sure of the grade. I cut 2 2 inch strips the length of the flat. I cubed these and put them in the freezer for almost 2 hours. The rest of the packer went on the Egg. I ground them once with the course plate, which was sufficient IMHO. I put one burger on the Egg just for a test. The rest are for later in the week. The Egg was set up indirect at 290. I dunno why but I have better luck with my briskets in the 275 to 300 range as opposed to the 225 most people do them at. Anyway I cooked it 20 minutes and them flipped for another 20 minutes. Came out great and was nice and juicy. No need for added fat on this one and as I said all I ground was lean flat. So maybe it depends on the piece of meat??[p]I have not stored any so I can’t really help in the area. I would think storing pre-sized chunks and grinding as needed would produce a fresher product but that means you have to clean the grinder each time you make burger. Lazy me will probably grind it all at once and count on the food saver to keep it good and fresh.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Sandbagger,[p]I think I would be more concerned with the type, quality and flavor of fat in the points when used for burger. Why don't you pick up some beef suet and grind that along with the flat and see how you like it?[p]Do a few trial grinds, say 85/15, 80/20 etc.[p]PS remember to cube and chill your meat in the freezer until it is just icy before grinding.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have never had great results with select grade beef. Would you please give more details on this wet aging for your select grade whole ribeye? Where did you purchase the beef and does that matter much? Thanks, Tom

• Car Wash Mike
    Bajatom,
    The important thing is get the pack date. I put my whole ribeyes in a seperate fridge 34-36 controlled temp. I don't open it very often. I buy the cry-o-vac and sit in there for 30 days.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,[p]So you buy it cry-o-vaced allready and then keep it just above freezing for 30 days after it was packed? what about the sell by date and that old enemy "Mr Rancid"?
  • Car Wash Mike
    chxnwing,
    I'm lucky, my meat cutter puts the sell by date at 30 days after pack date.
    You don't want to really know what goes on in a grocery store.[p]Mike

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Sandbagger,
    After reading recent posts I too pickd up a choice flat from Sams. Grround it twicw with the large die. These made the best most tender burgers we have ever eaten. I cooked them slow, direct with a little hickory. I think those who complain about them being dry probably had too much of the fat trimmed off. Will most definately do this again !!!!![p]PS - Cut the meat in thin long strips - the grinder grabs it a little better than when it is cubed.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    thanks for all the great ideas. Sometime this week or weekend, I'll throw a couple burgers on the grid and see what happens. T

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    "I have not stored any so I can’t really help in the area. I would think storing pre-sized chunks and grinding as needed would produce a fresher product but that means you have to clean the grinder each time you make burger. Lazy me will probably grind it all at once and count on the food saver to keep it good and fresh."

Whitetail,

That's pretty much what I do with chuck. Will set aside a package or two of pre-cut chunks so we have an option of how to use them, and pregrind the rest. Then almost all of it goes in the freezer in vacuum bags at about 3/4 lb each. Works great.