Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled pineapple ?

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I now have a headache from searching the archives for the grill pineapple recipe that I know someone posted just a few days ago but now I can't find it. aaaaggghhhh!!!!.......[p]Anyway, I have this beautiful organic pineapple that I wish to grill tonight. I'm certain that I read recently where someone soaked the pineapple slices in coconut cream and sprinkle with cinammin (sp) (can't for the life of me spell it) sugar and then grilled. [p]It sounded so good I would like to grill some for my family tonight myself.[p]What else do I need to know? [p]What temp, how long, rasied grid or not?[p][p]

Comments

• Tiger Tony,
    This is not the one posted recently, but maybe it will help![p]Pineapple, Grilled Sugar-Dipped, Mike Oelrich

A perfect finale to a high temperature cook. Just remove the steaks and put on the pineapple!
    [p]Ingredients:
    1 Ripe pineapple
    1 Stick of butter, melted
    1 cup Turbinado (or regular) sugar
    Zest from one large lime
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp Ground cloves
    Dark rum (optional)
    Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Preparation Directions:
    1 Preheat BGE to 450-500F (or just leave it there after you do your steaks!).
    2 Cut the top and rind off the pineapple and core it. Slice it into discs about 3/8" to ½" thick.
    3 Place melted butter (you can melt it on the BGE in a cast iron skillet or on the stove) in a shallow dish. Mix sugar, cinnamon, lime zest and cloves in another dish.
    4 Dip each pineapple slice in the butter and give the excess butter a chance to drip off a bit. Next dip the slice in the sugar mixture to coat lightly.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Grill the slices for about 5 minutes per side or until they are browned or even slightly charred.
    2 Remove from the BGE and place on a serving plate. Serve immediately. If you want to, sprinkle the slices with dark rum right after taking them off the BGE and serve with ice cream.
    Special Instructions:
    1 If you really want to show off and have already lost your arm hair from cooking too many steaks, try this: Put about ½ cup of the rum into a small skillet. Warm it for a bit over the (open) top vent of the BGE until it is just warm (look for the very first wisps of "steam" to come from it -- if it is boiling, this won't work!). Hold the rum away from your face and hold a flame over it (the rum, not your face). Use a long match or long butane lighter. The rum should ignite. Pour this over the pineapple and serve immediately (you might want to blow it out just prior to eating it). Note: I will not accept responsibility for lost arm hair, facial hair, or any carpet damage caused by outlandish attempts to show off one's cooking prowess, but I will admit that playing with fire *is* pretty darn fun sometimes . . .

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Mike Oelrich icandig@att.net[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mike Oelrich[p]"Barbecue! Bible"

[p]

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I might can help you. Didn't see the recipe but what you said sure sounds good! Back in the gasser days if I grilled something like pineapple I would have it on medium heat and cook it until I liked the texture, especially vegetables like zuchini (sp?) Point is that since you can eat it raw, cook it until you think it is done. 350 has always been good to me. Grill marks rock! Heck throw in some Dramboui in the mixture for that last little kick. No alchohol will remain so your kids eating it is OK. Go direct.

• Richard,
    Jake 42 posted with great pics in july, here is pineapple portion.[p]Tried a twist on the grilled pineapple recipe that I saw here this morning. Dipped in coconut milk sprinkled with sugar cinnamon mixture. Bout' five minutes per side. came out pretty good. Next time I'll cook at 400 to get better caramelization

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Richard,
    We have a pine apple, just waiting for it to get ripe, then will try what you have recommended. We love your humor by the way.
    Willie.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Over the weekend, I talked a couple of times about the great results from the recipe that was posted by gdenby. A copy of his original post is shown below. Since then, I did one that was equal parts honey, lime juice, and brown sugar with a good shake of Dizzy Dust and it was great too![p]Also, as an aside, I used some of the leftover grilled pineapple along with left over spatchcocked chicken to make a chicken salad that was really good. I added one granny smith apple, two stalks of celery, three green onions, about 2 tbsp dijon mustard and enough mayo to get the consistency I wanted. [p] Grilled Pineapple
    BGE Forum by gdenby[p]Twice this weekend I cooked fresh pineapple section. I decided to use fresh, because tries with canned just resulted in disintegrated pineapple.[p]I made it with stuffed fatties, and, as pictured above, with pork tenderloins. It turned out much better than I expected. The first time with the fatties I used 1/4 sections, and those weren't quite fully cooked. So with the tenderloins I did 1/8 sections. Both times I used a simple glaze of lemon juice, honey, and butter. I cooked them direct with a dome temp around 350. The 1/4s I turned three times, each after about 7 minutes, the 1/8ths turned 2 times at ten minutes. The meats were placed over drip pans.[p]The thing that was really nice was that the glaze picked up both the smoke flavor and the meat and spice flavor. Evidently the fumes coming up from the drip pan adds to the flavor.[p]I used the leftover pineapple in thin slices in some lo-mein, and it worked really well. [p]

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Thanks for the suggestions. I got side tracked last night and didn't get to grill the pineapple. I'm going to shoot for tonight.[p]I'll post the results and maybe some pics.[p]