Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adam Perry Lang's Beef Tenderloin - Pics

Options
Well, after debating on doing just steaks or a tenderloin, we settled on the tenderloin. Followed Adam Perry Lang's recipe from the Serious BBQ book for his "Whole Beef Tenderloin With Worcestershire Glaze" (pg 166). Turned out to be really good and the feedback was very positive. Will definitely be doing this one again. We had 5 adults for just under a 3lb tenderloin (tied the end up on one side) and had a few slices left over....not much though.

Seared first on Spider with CI grid then brought back to 350 degrees on AR/indirect to get it to Medium Rare. Had a few prefer theirs to be MW to WD, so cut a few pieces and threw them back on to get to that temp. Only thing I regret was getting too caught up in everything that I forgot to cover my heat deflector in the AR, so that doesnt look too sporty now...DOH!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:

=P~

=D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sorry I missed my invite. That looks phenomenal.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Yummy! That looks amazing!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks incredible.  I have never done this (probably because I'm cheap and tenderloin never goes on sale). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great looking meal

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nicely done! I'm sure the glaze put it over the top on flavor factor. =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Wow that is great! ^:)^

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Beautiful color on that tenderloin tdub. 

Wish I didn't have family allergic to seafood - no Worcestershire sauce allowed... (anchovies)
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Awesome!  APL is the real deal.  

Pissed I had to return his cooksbooks back to the library after multiple renew/fees.  

I have the last laugh though as my Sauced-Up Thumbprints are stamped on every page!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    That sliced meat photo is a classic! I could stick my hand through the computer screen and fork a slice right onto my plate.
    Judy in San Diego
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Once you click on the thumbnails the beauty of that meat really hits you. Nice cook! You nailed it.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Smoker317
    Options
    NDG said:

Pissed I had to return his cooksbooks back to the library after multiple renew/fees.  

I have the last laugh though as my Sauced-Up Thumbprints are stamped on every page!
    I bought my copy a couple weeks ago or so from Amazon, used but like new condition for less than twenty bucks.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    NDG said:

That's why your phone has a camera........pics of every recipe you want to try!!!  No late fees.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Can't believe all of y'all missed this post! Great bump PNW!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I got APL Serious BBQ for Christmas.  I've made the German Style Roast Beef Deli twice last month (it was that good) and it worked great for a Sunday roast and leftovers for deli meat.

I haven't tried any other recipes but that book is a winner for sure!

@tdub4 - great looking tenderloin. What did you serve it with?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

I have so much to learn...

That looks utterly amazing

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    I noticed the APL recipe has quite a bit of chili powder and cayenne in it.  Does the honey and other spices and such mellow it out?  Wanted to do the recipe but a few guests don't care for spicy dishes.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Wow... that looks fantastic!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Whoa!  I'm jealous
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Just to pile on, that is perfection.
    Toronto ON
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Agree, that looks great.  HD, I am doing this for this Christmas and I'm also a little concerned about the cayenne mostly.  I'll see and may even cut it back a notch.  Can't wait as I'm doing two tenderloins for a large party.  I bought the cookbook as an early present for myself!  Merry Christmas.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    edited December 2016
    Options
    HDmstng said:
    I noticed the APL recipe has quite a bit of chili powder and cayenne in it.  Does the honey and other spices and such mellow it out?  Wanted to do the recipe but a few guests don't care for spicy dishes.
    It does.  There's a bit of heat in the flavor, but it's pretty mild.  It's overpowered by just about everything else.

LOL at you fools not realizing this post is a couple of years old.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, will probably cut back on it as well.

Used the search function but no specific reply so figured an older thread is still good.

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I made this for Christmas dinner. It was outstanding! They layers of flavor built up with the paste, rub, glaze & board sauce made this really special. We had 11 for dinner with a 7 lb tenderloin and 0 leftovers 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Man I wanted to but as time got away from me I didn't have all the ingredients so opted for salt/pepper with Bernaise sauce.  I will try this again with the APL recipe. Your thread motivates me now!
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Those OP pics are a couple years old, but it's still looking good! 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice cook - even two years later!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95