Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss.... Help

Options
been cooking butts since 6 this morning. Flame Boss working fine.... All of a sudden I lost both meat and pit probe..... Every once I a while I'll get a reading but it's fluctuation is all over..... Hope so one can help. I've trying calling them with no answer. Also trying turning off and back on 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Remove the flame boss. Set your vents and keep on cooking. Someone later will be able to answer or flame boss will help you monday. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Wiggle the probe connectors at up and down angle and see if you can make a connection.

The connection from the probe receptacle to the circuit board may have come loose.....I had this happen with mine on the meat probe side.  I opened it up, and with one drop of solder it was fixed.  Either way, Flameboss will replace or fix it promptly come next week.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Can't get anything....

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Can't get anything....
    Use the force...rip that thing off and go commando.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • corey24
    Options
    Oh I've done that....

Got a cook tomorrow and was going to be at church.... So that poses a problem

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Hopefully @MichaelCollins will be along shortly. 
  • corey24
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Oh I've done that....

No problem. Just get it stable an hour before you go and enjoy the service. Controllers are a luxury and far from a necessity. You got this. 
    Agree.... Just frustrating. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    corey24 said:
    corey24 said:
    Oh I've done that....

No problem. Just get it stable an hour before you go and enjoy the service. Controllers are a luxury and far from a necessity. You got this. 
    Agree.... Just frustrating. 
    I hear you. Never fun when you gadgets don't cooperate. I'm sure they will take care of you and your cook will go as planed
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Oh I've done that....

Seriously, the temperature stability of the BGE is one of the reasons we all have them. I love my Flame Boss, but it's hardly a necessity.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Oh I've done that....

That's why you bought an egg. It will stay constant until you run out of coal. I love my controllers, but once it's set you can believe it won't move. 

XLBGE 
  • corey24
    Options
    True true.... Flame Boss just makes a little more spoiled

• etherdome
    Options
    I own a flame boss and it works great , however I have found that they are made VERY cheaply. I'm on my 3rd unit and have also  had to Replace the meat thermometer twice. Thing is, I don't even use it that often and not rough on it either .  That being said, they always replace no questions asked. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I have two Flameboss'.  An FB200 and an FB100.  I have been pretty rough with both units and neither have failed.

One thing to make sure is the cables are shielded from direct flames.  Cables + direct line of sight to flames/coals is no good.  I use a fire brick to shield the cables.  Some people use aluminum foil.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • etherdome
    Options
    Maybe I just had bad luck. Once when I pulled the temp probe out of a turkey breast the metal stayed in the turkey and I just had a wire in my hand. Another time the piece that plugs into the unit came off . Then I had one that WOULD NOT connect to wifi under any circumstances. Last but not least I had one that do what is described here in his thread. Would not make a solid connection with meat and grill temp probes unless i put  extra pressure in them, pulling them to side and taped them in place. Again, all were replaced with no problem, and yes I still use it. Been a while since I had an issue. 
    Upstate SC
  • stlcharcoal
    edited December 2016
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Maybe I just had bad luck. Once when I pulled the temp probe out of a turkey breast the metal stayed in the turkey and I just had a wire in my hand. Another time the piece that plugs into the unit came off . Then I had one that WOULD NOT connect to wifi under any circumstances. Last but not least I had one that do what is described here in his thread. Would not make a solid connection with meat and grill temp probes unless i put  extra pressure in them, pulling them to side and taped them in place. Again, all were replaced with no problem, and yes I still use it. Been a while since I had an issue. 

That's definitely some bad luck......I've sold 100+ of them and have replaced a handful of probes.  One guy had a controller that did not reboot after a firmware upgrade, one had another issue I can't remember, then I had the board problem (which I fixed myself.)  Otherwise, mine is one of the single digit serial numbers and I'm still on the original probes.  It's new technology, so there will be problems, but when you have a company that stands behind them 100%, then no worries, right??

I disagree on the "very cheaply made" though.  Compared to other units I've used and sold, these are pretty nice.  There's not too much to them.  Like I said, mine is one of the oldest out there, it's plugged in 24/7 for demos, and it's only needed one drop of solder.
  • etherdome
    Options
    I am likely wrong based on the fact that they are still selling . Can't blame me for thinking that based on my experience though!!!!!  its a good little machine . My first serial # was 200 something. Then 800 something. Current one 2000 or more 
    Upstate SC
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    @corey24 Sorry to be slow to respond and that you had trouble with your Flame Boss controller over the holidays. We will be in the office tomorrow and be happy to help you.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They will take care of you. It has usually taken less than 12hrs for them to respond to an email and make things right. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • corey24
    Options
    Talked to them first thing this morning. Replacing controller... No questions asked. Great customer service

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    etherdome said:

That's definitely some bad luck......I've sold 100+ of them and have replaced a handful of probes.  One guy had a controller that did not reboot after a firmware upgrade, one had another issue I can't remember, then I had the board problem (which I fixed myself.)  Otherwise, mine is one of the single digit serial numbers and I'm still on the original probes.  It's new technology, so there will be problems, but when you have a company that stands behind them 100%, then no worries, right??

I disagree on the "very cheaply made" though.  Compared to other units I've used and sold, these are pretty nice.  There's not too much to them.  Like I said, mine is one of the oldest out there, it's plugged in 24/7 for demos, and it's only needed one drop of solder.
    My FB I purchased from you went bad. Meat and pit started acting up, then went out.
    It was one of the first 200 units by number.
    Sent email to Flame Boss and had reply in about an hour. New unit was shipped out same day and I returned the bad one. Could not ask for better service...Excellent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    etherdome said:

My FB I purchased from you went bad. Meat and pit started acting up, then went out.
    It was one of the first 200 units by number.
    Sent email to Flame Boss and had reply in about an hour. New unit was shipped out same day and I returned the bad one. Could not ask for better service...Excellent.
    Yep, that was the other one.  I think it was the same deal.....probe connections to the board broke loose.