Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib How-To:

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2016
    DMW said:
    Put my 7 lb. prime rib in the sous vide bath at 125.6° an hour ago. So it'll be seared around 8 pm tomorrow night before slicing. No idea why 125.6° but it's what my Anova sous vide app that operates my device said to use. Before closing the bag I added salt, pepper, worcestershire and fresh rosemary.
    @egghead_bubba - You don't want to exceed 4 hours below 130F.  So the recipe would be 125.6F for 4 hours then sear and eat.
    That's odd, the recipe stated 24 hours at that temp. It's been going since 2 PM today. Guess I should bump the temp up to 131°. Whatcha think?
    What recipe are you following? I would bump.
    Here's the recipe... so do you think bumping it to 131° until I sear it tomorrow night around 7 PM will be okay?

Most of the comments are questioning the safety of the recipe.  

Personally, I would take it off in the morning (or even now) and toss in the fridge.  This will allow you to achieve an even better sear without fear of overcooking. NOLA taught me this trick and I've done it with everything from short ribs to poultry breasts.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Put my 7 lb. prime rib in the sous vide bath at 125.6° an hour ago. So it'll be seared around 8 pm tomorrow night before slicing. No idea why 125.6° but it's what my Anova sous vide app that operates my device said to use. Before closing the bag I added salt, pepper, worcestershire and fresh rosemary.
    @egghead_bubba - You don't want to exceed 4 hours below 130F.  So the recipe would be 125.6F for 4 hours then sear and eat.
    That's odd, the recipe stated 24 hours at that temp. It's been going since 2 PM today. Guess I should bump the temp up to 131°. Whatcha think?
    What recipe are you following? I would bump.
    Here's the recipe... so do you think bumping it to 131° until I sear it tomorrow night around 7 PM will be okay?
    I don't see the value in going 24 hours on a prime rib, but anything over 4 hours I would go 131*. I glanced at the recipe and there isn't any reason given for the extended SV at those temps. Doesn't make sense to me.
    I agree.  2-3 hours cooks the roast.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I'm not going to risk it. It's going in the trash. So with that said... I'll buy another one tomorrow and SV it at 131° for 3 hours before searing. Would that be long enough SV to get a thawed 7 lb. prime rib to 131° at the center?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm not going to risk it. It's going in the trash. So with that said... I'll buy another one tomorrow and SV it at 131° for 3 hours before searing. Would that be long enough SV to get a thawed 7 lb. prime rib to 131° at the center?
    Don't trash it. Bump it to 131* for an hour or so and then pull it and toss it in the fridge like @cazzy said.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    I'm not going to risk it. It's going in the trash. So with that said... I'll buy another one tomorrow and SV it at 131° for 3 hours before searing. Would that be long enough SV to get a thawed 7 lb. prime rib to 131° at the center?
    Don't trash it. Bump it to 131* for an hour or so and then pull it and toss it in the fridge like @cazzy said.
    It's been in the SV since 2 pm today at 125.6°... 7 1/2 hours.

• cazzy
    edited December 2016
    DMW said:
    Exactly, don't toss it!

True...Set it for a safe temp for a hour or two to pasteurize it, then drop it into an ice bath and refrigerate it.  You'll be good to go for tomorrow with very lil work to do.
  • bgebrent
    Bring the temp up to 135 for an hour.  Take it out and put it in the fridge.  Take an hour or overnight and reheat it in the oven at 130 then serve.
  • I don't know guys, it would probably be just fine but I'm feeding several tomorrow night and I just can't afford to get anyone sick. I'm going to err on the side of caution and just buy another one.

• cazzy
    I don't know guys, it would probably be just fine but I'm feeding several tomorrow night and I just can't afford to get anyone sick. I'm going to err on the side of caution and just buy another one.
    Sure, buy another but don't you throw that away Bubba.  Cut into steaks and eat on that all week!
  • cazzy said:
    I don't know guys, it would probably be just fine but I'm feeding several tomorrow night and I just can't afford to get anyone sick. I'm going to err on the side of caution and just buy another one.
    Sure, buy another but don't you throw that away Bubba.  Cut into steaks and eat on that all week!
    I would love to but I'm spooked... It was below 130° for so long!

• cazzy said:
    True, but by raising the temp to over 130 and leaving for an hour or so you will kill off any nasties that may have popped up. Like other said, get a fresh roast for tomorrow and use the SV mistake for steaks after reheating at or above 131
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    Meh...Any bacteria on the surface will be destroyed during a hot sear.  
  • cazzy said:
    True, but by raising the temp to over 130 and leaving for an hour or so you will kill off any nasties that may have popped up. Like other said, get a fresh roast for tomorrow and use the SV mistake for steaks after reheating at or above 131
    So you're saying if I take this prime rib that has been at 125° since 2 PM and get it to 131° in the center for an hour there is no chance of problems with bacteria etc. throughout the prime rib?

• cazzy
    You can always feed a test steak to your neighbor.  If they don't die (they won't), you're good to go.  Pull it out of the trash!!!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2016
    You've probably grilled some raw pork chops that had more bacteria than that roast does.
  • I didn't think you were supposed to SV thick cuts of meat like a roast?

Right now I've got this 14.5lb prime rib roast waiting in cryovac for Christmas day. My plan is to open it up tonight or sometime Saturday, rub it with kosher salt, and let it dry out in the fridge for a day. On Sunday, rub it with something simple like Montreal Steak Seasoning and let it come to room temp for an hour or so before throwing it on the XL at 225 with one chunk of post oak. Once at 115-120 internal, I plan to FTC it for the 30min ride to our Christmas gathering, pop it into a 450 oven to sear, then slice n serve.

I want it Med Rare, evenly cooked with some outside sear, and I need it hot when I go to serve 8-10 adults. Does this sound like a good game plan?
    Gittin' there...
  • cazzy
    I didn't think you were supposed to SV thick cuts of meat like a roast?

Right now I've got this 14.5lb prime rib roast waiting in cryovac for Christmas day. My plan is to open it up tonight or sometime Saturday, rub it with kosher salt, and let it dry out in the fridge for a day. On Sunday, rub it with something simple like Montreal Steak Seasoning and let it come to room temp for an hour or so before throwing it on the XL at 225 with one chunk of post oak. Once at 115-120 internal, I plan to FTC it for the 30min ride to our Christmas gathering, pop it into a 450 oven to sear, then slice n serve.

I want it Med Rare, evenly cooked with some outside sear, and I need it hot when I go to serve 8-10 adults. Does this sound like a good game plan?
    FTC can intensify the carry over so make sure to let it come back down before you wrap it.  I'm doing the same for the most part, except I'm not searing it.  In your case, your crust will soften in the foil, so searing makes sense. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    These things can rest an hour on the table wirhout cooling very much at all. Foil will increase carryover. Don't be too aggressive in trying to preserve its internal temp because it may overshoot. 

(But you are helped by the low temp cook. It won't carryover as much to begin with, than one roasted higher)
  • I did a roast, not a rib, when I first got my sous vide controller. I think it was 125* for 24 hours. There was no question about tossing it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I did a roast, not a rib, when I first got my sous vide controller. I think it was 125* for 24 hours. There was no question about tossing it.
    Yep, I just couldn't feel comfortable about serving the one I had started yesterday. Heading out shortly to get another one for tonight's meal. I'll SV it but for only 3 1/2 hours at 131° before searing it.

• cazzy
    I did a roast, not a rib, when I first got my sous vide controller. I think it was 125* for 24 hours. There was no question about tossing it.
    Yep, I just couldn't feel comfortable about serving the one I had started yesterday. Heading out shortly to get another one for tonight's meal. I'll SV it but for only 3 1/2 hours at 131° before searing it.
    I think you read it wrong.  He's saying he didn't think once about tossing it.  He's still alive...For the most part.
    I would be concerned that the center would not get to temp in 3.5hrs on something with that much mass. Maybe your SV has more horsepower than mine?

I did a one off prime rib in my Demi once when I was going apes**t with it. Seasoned and vacuum packaged a ribeye steak with a large pad of butter, then after a about 2 hours I pulled it out and seared it on the grill. While not technically a prime rib cook, for all intents and purposes it was...and it came out wonderful.

Actually that's not a horrible idea, One could portion the roast out and vacuum pack each serving in advance, then sear the individual cuts. I think some restaurants cook steaks that way.
    Gittin' there...
  • Bacteria is on the outside. Whole muscle meat doesn't have the risk of fecal bacteria inside it that ground meat does

• Ha Ha JCF, I see now that you hijacked the buff's duncecap avatar. It would be funny if a whole bunch of folks here did that at the same time. New people would be like, "Holy crap, BGE forum must be really strict!"

Like No-Shave November...Banned-User Banuary. =)
    Gittin' there...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited December 2016
    I like to debone, tie it round, then use bones as rack. Easier to serve. Simple S&P only, 225-250 all the way till IT 120-125, no sear. 

canuckland
  • Here's a nice source of information about maximum sous vide times. Look at the first section of the table (Beef) and you see it says a maximum of 4 hours for something like this, although it goes up to 30 hours for tough cuts like flank steak or brisket, and even that is at 134°F or higher. The whole idea is that it only has to sit in the SV long enough for the temperature at the center to rise up to the temp of the surrounding water.
    http://www.molecularrecipes.com/sous-vide-class/sous-vide-cooking-time-temperature/
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Was happy with how mine turned out. Great meal!

• bgebrent
    Was happy with how mine turned out. Great meal!

That looks delicious brother!
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited December 2016
    bgebrent said:
    Was happy with how mine turned out. Great meal!

That looks delicious brother!
    Thanks! It sure was. Everyone loved it.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I'd be happy with that too.  Very nicely played.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.