Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very disappointed in BGE customer service...

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    VB_egger said:
    @theyolksonyou, no arguments there. I bought strictly on name recognition. No regrets. My next two purchases were of a different brand, no regrets there either.  

What i will say is the company needs to look at some things if they want to stay relevant for the long term. Check a KJ forum and see how many of their consumers are using BGE products, having over/under bite issues, complaining about customer service, quality or price of accessories. 

What do you mean I am unhappy with available product? What exactly are you saying?
    Obviously, you're not happy with a stock BGE. That's what I mean. 

Our division President tells us all the time, "customers vote with their wallet."  If enough people do their research and vote with their wallet, BGE will be forced to innovate. Simple as that. 

BTW, I have two hi que fire grates, two woos/AR and two SW caps. Have rutlands still in the box, but other than the fire grates, I'd be fine. 
    And how do people do their research? One way is to search for threads like this of user's that experience bad customer service.
    Make one customer happy and they might tell a few people. Make one customer unhappy and they will tell everyone who will listen. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've got a flat tire.  Anybody have the number for the warranty claim department number for Goodyear Corp? :tongue:  Handle problems at the lowest level possible. Agree you should've at a minimum received a courtesy email or phone call.
    FWIW I've only needed to get the MS involved 2x...both involved the MM. They handled it appropriately and swiftly.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've got a flat tire.  Anybody have the number for the warranty claim department number for Goodyear Corp? :tongue:  Handle problems at the lowest level possible. Agree you should've at a minimum received a courtesy email or phone call.
    FWIW I've only needed to get the MS involved 2x...both involved the MM. They handled it appropriately and swiftly.

Blake, I wasn't able to find his cell #, sorry! Try 411. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    On a serious note, we have been BGE dealers for over 15 years and have never had a single warranty claim denied. Keep in mind, I'm quite certain there were a few that were not legit. They honor them anyway. Great company! That's why they have a cult following and brand recognition. This story is an aberration. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I must be missing something here... I've owned my first egg for 20 years or so.  During that time I've had 2 fireboxes, 3 rings and 2 or 3 grates replaced without issue.  I simply take a photo or the actual piece to my dealer who quickly just takes care of it.

I've seen a NUMBER of requests for @Gravytrain84 to explain why either the dealer is not providing these replacements or why @Gravytrain84 has not been in touch with the dealer.

All I hear of that question is .."Chirp chirp chirp"  (The sound of crickets)

WTFO?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Always responsive and always helpful for me! Bruce is a great guy! 
  • My experience has been, I don't have a dealer. They went out of business.  I don't have the original receipt. Lost it moving to another house.  But I did register my eggs online. Had several items crack.  Took pictures and emailed Bruce.  Within a day or two, got an email back saying eggs were registered and warranty covered.  Since I had no dealer I could pay for shipping, try to get another dealer to order the items or stop by the MS?  I was going by Atlanta the following month and stopped to see what the MS was all about.  Walked in, explained to the guy at the register was I was there for.  Couple of computer inputs and she says they will have the items on the loading dock to load into my vehicle whenever I am ready.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    FYI, I just pinged the mothership (warranty Dept) with a quick email and they responded to me in less than 5 minutes. So their lines are definitely open. They're aware of this thread...
    Again, Bruce's email is:
    b.bohannon@biggreenegg.com
  • By coincidence, I noticed my firebox was badly cracked a little over a month ago. Went in to my local dealer where I bought it and filled out a little replacement form. Emailed photos of the cracked firebox. They didn't have a spare in stock, and I wasn't in a hurry, so I said it would be OK to get one from their next shipment.

Several weeks later, I happened to be in the area and stopped in to ask about the replacement. They still had not received it, but they gave me one out of one of their stock Eggs. No problem at all.

Honestly, it never even occurred to me to contact the mothership instead of the place I bought the Egg.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I can honestly say that with years of BGE ownership I have had nothing but excellent customer service from both The Mother Ship and at the Dealer/Distributor levels.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • You'll have to color me a little bit shocked here, I've always had and heard that BGE customer service is top notch
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have had 6 or 7 warranty claims over the last 3 years and I have always gone back to my dealer on them.  They were all taken care of in a quick manner and I usually had my replacement part back at the most 2 weeks.

As for changing out parts on the egg for aftermarket items that I have done as well with my vehicles and didn't expect the auto dealer to supply them with the original cost of the vehicle.  The Egg will cook just fine with out a SmokeWare SS cap, KAB, AR or anything else.  These items improve the performance IMO just like putting a K&N air filter, different tires, spark plugs or what ever you want to add to you vehicle.   Now it would be nice if a dealer that sells all the aftermarket items would put that into a package when you buy and egg, but I don't know if that will happen.  By the way I am cooking with out much of a gasket right now and have been for some time.  I am not going to replace it unless the performance of my XL goes down.

I looked at the KJ, but the dealers in town were not willing to work with me on price and I got a better deal on the BGE.  That's why it is good to have a good dealer.  My dealer became a premier dealer in town this year.  That means when you do a search for BGE in KC his dealership will be on top and BGE thinks very highly of them.   

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    ckali7 said:
    FYI, I just pinged the mothership (warranty Dept) with a quick email and they responded to me in less than 5 minutes. So their lines are definitely open. They're aware of this thread...
    Again, Bruce's email is:
    b.bohannon@biggreenegg.com
    His email has changed I believe that is his old email. It's just bruce@biggreenegg now I believe.
  • I agree with most the posts here. We are a dealer as well and have nothing but great things to say about their warranty process. Any issue at all, they take care of it. Usually we just rob the broken piece from a display unit so the customer can leave with the piece they need. Can't say all dealers act they way we do, but we like to take care of any of our customers problems.
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    When I had a cracked fire ring, I went to the dealer. After more than a month of wrangling with them, I "complained" about the dealer - not the mothership -   to warranty@biggreenegg.com.  It took ~3 days to get a response back, however, I did send it on a Friday.  Within a week, I had a shiny new fire ring. 

This time of year, I give everyone a bit of slack in my expectations for response as a LOT of people take vacations (well deserved in most cases).  (Especially since it seems that the warranty dept is a team of Bruce - could be wrong on that).

Thanks Bruce!! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I guess I'll pile on as well... To reiterate what a good dealer can do for you.

A year or something ago, I realized my LBGE base had cracked. Called the dealer. They asked for a picture and copy of the receipt to be emailed to them . All of my egg receipts are scanned . Picked up my new base later that afternoon. 

5 mins on the phone, 20 min drive to the dealer. 10 mins tops in the store then back home. Pretty painless. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    edited December 2016
    I must be missing something here... I've owned my first egg for 20 years or so.  During that time I've had 2 fireboxes, 3 rings and 2 or 3 grates replaced without issue.  I simply take a photo or the actual piece to my dealer who quickly just takes care of it.

I've seen a NUMBER of requests for @Gravytrain84 to explain why either the dealer is not providing these replacements or why @Gravytrain84 has not been in touch with the dealer.

All I hear of that question is .."Chirp chirp chirp"  (The sound of crickets)

WTFO?
    Sorry been busy all day. I will be in touch with my local as soon as I get a chance... it still doesn't make it right that BGE ignored my emails and calls.. 

Fyi, I received an email from Bruce today and all will be made good like I figured it would.. but them not responding to customers for a month is still disappointing. If you can't see that then.. well I'm sorry lol. I guess I hold higher standards than you do. 
  • Glad it worked out for you. 

I only posted that because I sound like Morgan Freeman when type. 
  • Did I miss it? Did you call your dealer? (That would be the place where you bought the egg) 

i have never heard of anyone having an issue when working thru a dealer, there may be some, just never heard of any problems. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I've had about 3 or 4 warranty claims. Called my dealer, emailed them a picture and then either picked up that part or they ordered it for their next delivery. The only thing I have had to pay is $10 for shipping. Very satisfied with the warranty and the service I get on claims dealing directly with my dealer.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Never an issue with warranty. I go to the mothership because it's only a half hour away. They've taken care of me in less than 5 minutes every time. 
  • The_Stache
    Did I miss it? Did you call your dealer? (That would be the place where you bought the egg) 

i have never heard of anyone having an issue when working thru a dealer, there may be some, just never heard of any problems. 
    It appears that @Gravytrain84 is as unresponsive to this question as his claims of responsiveness from the Mothership... hmmmm...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• I've had about 3 or 4 warranty claims. Called my dealer, emailed them a picture and then either picked up that part or they ordered it for their next delivery. The only thing I have had to pay is $10 for shipping. Very satisfied with the warranty and the service I get on claims dealing directly with my dealer.
    Should you have to pay anything on a warranty replacement?  
  • Did I miss it? Did you call your dealer? (That would be the place where you bought the egg) 

It appears that @Gravytrain84 is as unresponsive to this question as his claims of responsiveness from the Mothership... hmmmm...
    he replied directly to you.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    bigbadben said:
    I've had about 3 or 4 warranty claims. Called my dealer, emailed them a picture and then either picked up that part or they ordered it for their next delivery. The only thing I have had to pay is $10 for shipping. Very satisfied with the warranty and the service I get on claims dealing directly with my dealer.
    Should you have to pay anything on a warranty replacement?  
    If you wanted shipped separate, depends. Some dealers will and others just get it on the next shipment so they don't charge you. I would guess that small-volume dealers are more likely to charge than large-volume ones. 

Open your eyes, boss. I responded to you directly. 
  • The_Stache
    edited December 2016
    Did I miss it? Did you call your dealer? (That would be the place where you bought the egg) 

Open your eyes, boss. I responded to you directly. 
    You did indeed, my apologies! (Pulling head out of A$$, Where's that shot down in flames emogicon?)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Glad it got taken care of.  I agree, waiting for a reply is always annoying.  Luckily, with BGE you know things WILL get resolved.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Appreciate the help, fellas.