Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long and what temp for short ribs?

Options
tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
Planning to make these gems tonight from Costco. What temp would you cook them at and to what temp for the meat?  First time making these and not sure how long to plan for. 

Boneless short ribs ribs cut about 1 1/2". 

Thats a large food saver bag for size comparison. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    No help here-I went with boneless short ribs one time and hosed it up.  I went with the standard 250-260*F on the dome temp and they were done much earlier than the traditional short rib cuts.  I'm guessing even with the 1 1/2" thickness since there is no bone they will finish quicker.  I would plan for 3-4 hours tops but go with the feel.  I just used the forum search function and found this link:  FWIW-

Boneless Short Ribs  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those, in my opinion, are better braised.  I would suggest the Travis method @travisstrick

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

Options
    I've made boneless chuck short ribs many times. Bought them at Restaurant Depot where they come as the whole slab. I just cook them the same way as ones with the bones - 250 or so for 5-7 hours.  They are done when they probe like butter - temperature doesn't matter.  Yours look like they have been cut into pieces which might make them cook very differently.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I'm going to go with 275 and just see when they are done. As far as when to start checking, I assume meat temp will end up similar to a brisket?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    They came our pretty good. The smaller one better than the bigger one. I think the bigger one could have gone a little longer. 

These re are definitely something to play with!!!

Livermore, California