Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glad to finally be here!

Options

Greetings Eggheads from a newly hatched Egger!

I figured after reading this forum daily for the last 5 years that I should introduce myself since I finally pulled the trigger on the Egg I’ve wanted for so long!

My name is Jon and I live near Frisco, Texas with my wife and two dogs.  I love cooking and I’ve been “in the market” for an Egg for quite some time now.  For years, I read about the majesty of the Ceramic Grill Store but never looked into where it was located.  Imagine my surprise to find out that CGS is less than 3 miles from my office!  I went in last year and realized that Tom wasn’t an Egg dealer.  As a result, I had planned to buy my egg locally and then go to Tom for all the fun toys to go with it but never got brave enough to do it.  A couple weeks ago, I saw someone here post that CGS is now selling Eggs!  That was all I needed to push me over the edge and this past Friday I took home my baby, a new XL with the AR and Woo combo!! Oh Yeah!

I must say, many thanks to Tom, Terri, and the outstanding Brandon who came out Saturday to help me get everything set up.  They are all super people and I feel lucky to have them so close by.  Props to all of them, I had such a fantastic experience and can’t wait to do more business with them.

With a hectic holiday schedule I haven’t even had a chance to light it up yet, but I hope to share some great creations with everyone real soon.  I’ve spent so much time researching and learning from all the funny and talented folks here that I feel I have a good knowledge base to get started, so thanks to all of you who have helped me without even realizing it.

Last item… in the early 90’s, my dad was a regional president with Fireman’s Fund insurance company.  Quite often he would bring us home incredible briskets from one of his favorite employees who was getting into competitive barbecuing.  Quitting one’s job to cook full time would be a bold move for most people, but things worked out for a guy named Johnny Trigg! Thanks to my reading about Johnny on this forum, he and my dad were able to reconnect in the last couple years which was really cool for both.

Again, thanks for having me here, thanks for everything you all have taught me so far, and I hope to soon share some pics that are worthy of the masterpieces you all come up with.

Cheers friends!

Jon

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Quite a story right there-glad everything worked out all the way around.  No pressure on you to crank out some brisket  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction.  Johnny seems to know his stuff from watching him on Pitmaster on TV and is quite the character.  He is the Godfather of BBQ.  I basically use his rub method with my choice of rub.

Enjoy the XL and Merry Christmas.    
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Welcome.  Once you get everything ready to do some cooking, check out Restaurant Depot - there is one near you in Richardson.  It is a membership store where the membership is free.  To get one you need to have some kind of business license (not just restaurant businesses) or you can join the Kansas City BBQ society and use that card as a day pass to RD.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the Herd John!
    I'm next door in Prosper TX so if you need anything just send me a PM.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DialSquare
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! 
    @Shiff thanks for the tip about RD!  I was aware of its existence, but didn't realize I had one so close. Great info, I will be be checking it out soon! 
    Cheers
    J
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Welcome! You're going to dig the egg. Congrats
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    welcome aboard
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Great introduction. Look forward to your many creations.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow