Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moose meat

Options

The rundown:

I make beer...  someone traded me some beer for 3 lb fat tube of moose meat... was told it was lean...

Ok so do I go to a butcher and get some ground fat to mix in?  What percentage for say... mooseburgers?  should I make something other than burgers with it?  I want to taste it, so not thinking chili.  But I'm open to suggestions for sure.

Strongsville, OH

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    You will taste it no matter what you do. If you don't overcook burgers they will be ok. Maybe rub each patty in some cool bacon grease and grill to rare. Moose sausages are incredible but you would need to mix in some pork fat. A lady I knew used to make tarts out of it in those little puff pastry shells. I think she added butter or some kind of fat with garlic and onions and seasoning. They were righteous.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I've made them as well without mixing anything in and they were outstanding...but I was told to make them medium rare at the MOST so they did not dry out. We mixed Italian seasoning with ours and it made for a good flavor.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    They can be a bit dry but likely better than venison. I find moose to be much more like beef than other game. I would add in a bit of ground pork or even suet just to get a bit more fat but you can also do chili, spaghetti sauce, lasagna meatballs in sauce etc etc and I wouldn't add fat unless you are doing burgers. 

For sauages I would always do 50:50 with pork with moose or venison because sausages have to be fatty or they can be dry. 

Enjoy. 
    What beer did you trade?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah man I would mix fat in it and make sausage and serve in a scramble with some hot sauce and a strong cup of coffee. 

It can leave avery strong flavor that can't be hidden simply by making smashburgers with some cheese and carmalized onions. 

I like to do a strogonoff or something like that with cubed meat but with hamburger I usually skip the processing of it and make like jalapeño cheddar sausage and mix with pork fat. 

Or find a  s a way to cook it down in a recipe that has some rich elements like red wine or dark gravy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try burgers because I want taste moose, although who knows if I'll like it. I've made venison meals and we usually go to efforts to mask it because family doesn't really care for it much. Usually chili or spaghetti. 

@gmac it was my version of Zombie Dust. It is a big hit with the family so my buddy recognized the gift with something I've never had before. 

Strongsville, OH

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Drinking home brewed 2 Hearted tonight as my fantasy championship hopes implode. 

Strongsville, OH

• gmac
    Options
    Drinking home brewed 2 Hearted tonight as my fantasy championship hopes implode. 
    Which yeast did you use?  I found 001 doesn't really do a perfect job for a 2 hearted clone but I don't know what else to use. I tried culturing Oberon dregs once but it didn't go well either (just not set up for lab work in the kitchen). Never had Zombie Dust, not available on this side of the border but I will look it up next time I go South. 
  • setdahook
    Options
    Its very potent stuff imagine something that lives in the tundra and is nit a carnivor, the only thing i have had that is more gamey is wild boar. If its me i am seasoning it hard and maybe try something like a meat pie split with some sausage and a heavy gravy in it. Now that actually sound
  • gmac
    Options
    I'm clearly getting my moose from a different area than you guys. I find it very mild compared to other game (have never had wild boar). Not doubting you, likely different forages and grazing but I know my wife would prefer I hunted moose to almost anything else. I am sure age and thoroughness trimming are all factors too. 

Try an unseasoned patty and let us know how gamey it is. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @gmac you're probably right. Every time we have harvested one it has been up in some rough country. But I'm sure a smaller one with ample vegetation would probably taste less funky. Of course any time someone has gone after one someone was looking for a massive trophy in some areas where packing one out involved a boat or a helicopter. 

Make sure you post a review. You now have my curiosity.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN