Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Jeez!! Another Prime Rib couple of questions - But Thanks

Options
I have been reading all of the PR threads and did the search also, but I have two questions that I haven't seen come up.  So any help would be appreciated.

This will be the first time I have tried the PR.  I am cooking two, a 6 and 7 lb'ers.  I took the advice of another thread and and they will be in the fridge for two days with S&P uncovered.

Both of them have bones, but they are type that have been cut off and tied back on, should I cook them with or without the bones.?

There is a pretty good fat cap on the top, should this be trimmed off or left on?

Thanks for the feedback.  I plan to do the L&S method and hopefully without having to sear them at the end.  There seems to be some good pics of doing it this way and the fridge, S&P method seems to allow for a good crust, by the recommendations.

These are going on tomorrow afternoon, so your timely input would be of help.

Sonny
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Leave the bones on or cook them separately....doesn't really make a flavour difference. I like to score the fat cap just shallow and rub it with loads of course sea salt. Put it in the fridge for as long as you can. If you aren't happy with the crust I would pull the indirect stuff out of the egg when the meat is where you want it and throw in a CI pan with the vents wide open. Do your sear on that. If the fat doesn't render to your liking leave it sit on the fat cap a bit longer. Just remember the meat temp will rise with or without the sear so get it off at least 15* shy of your target. The meat will appear more rare than it is because you won't have the gradual contrast from crust to center. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GaryLange
    Options
    Take the Bones off and place them in the pan below the Rib Roast. Tie the roast up as round as you can get it and when you are ready place it as high in the pan on a grate as this allows the heat to reach all sides of the roast. Use an internal thermometer in each to keep and eye on your internal temp so you don't over cook it. I do mine to 110* then let it rest and it will rise to 120* which is Rare. I cook mine at 250* so it takes about 4 hours with a 7lb roast.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am in the remove the bones camp and then smoke them as a separate beef rib banquet.  As above, helps with getting a more uniform shape to the roast although not a big deal with the cook.    Regarding the fat cap-@Little_Steven has a solid plan but you should not need the finish sear. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I am in the camp of cut meat away from the bones then place back on the bones, tie up and then cook.  This makes carving easy and the bones are good insulator plus,  they are the cook's treat in our house.  
    Watch temp like a hawk toward the end of the cook.  Carry over cooking can reak havoc on a great cook. (VOE, I let one get away from me and we were eating cooked medium meat...DIL was happy)   Pull before the ideal temp.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thank you all for your speedy and well reasoned suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  Been dealing with Chemo Brain for the last few months and short term memory and search/retain has become a little problematic, so thank you very much.  I now have a plan to put into place.

And I know, pics or it didn't happen!!!!
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Amazingribs.com has an educational prime rib cooking process.  Totally logical and when i implemented what they described, my prime rib results went from good to great...
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bones-in gives you more of the Norman Rockwell dinner picture moment...