Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18.5 whole 7 bone ribroast

Options
The past 2 years I've bought a whole boneless ribeye  for Christmas.
After cutting 1 steak from each end I removed the lip , rolled the remaining roast and tied.
Cooked indirect at 275 till 130. Every thing turns out great.

Well this year a picked up a whole 7 bone in ribeye , 18.5 lbs..
So now I'm trying to decide how to tackle this.
Cook the whole 7 bone roast as a whole or cut into a 4 bone and 3 bone roast for more end pieces and easier handling ?
Leave bones attached and remove after cooking ?
Remove bones before cooking and tie them back on ?
Remove bones and cook as a boneless roast ?

What say ye ?

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If end pieces are highly valued in your home, then cut it up.  We don't value them as much, so I would keep it whole.  Go boneless if heavy crust development is highly valued. Since you are cooking low for the entire time, I'm not too sure removing the bones for crust development would be worth it.  

How well does a 7 bone roast fit in your egg?  If it hangs over the edge of your indirect stone, you may want to cut it up to promote more even cooking.  It wouldn't hurt to check it out now before you decide.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fairchase
    Options
    XL.
      No problem !!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think the best approach would be to cook it whole and if you want more burnt stuff cut it when it's finished cooking and sear the pieces separately. If you are going to 130* you must be looking for a medium well finish?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Do you have a rough estimate of time per lb?
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited December 2016
    Options

Cooking time depends on thickness, not weight.  Once you get beyond a 3 rib roast, the cooking times are the same - a 4, 5, 6 or 7 rib roast all take the same time to cook.  A slow roasted 3 rib roast will be in the neighborhood of 3-4 hours - depending (starting temp, cooking temp, bone-in or boneless, doneness level targeted, searing or not, Choice or Prime grade).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I may be one of the few....but I cook mine bone in to about 100 Internal temp. I pull, remove the bones and place roast back on till about 115 and rest for an hour.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow