Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Too Long?

Options
So can you SV too long?  I'm not talking like stupid too long. 

If I put a Tri tip in at 7 tomorrow morning for 130, would I be. Ale to SV it all the way until it's time to sear it to eat at about 6ish?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So can you SV too long?  I'm not talking like stupid too long. 

If I put a Tri tip in at 7 tomorrow morning for 130, would I be. Ale to SV it all the way until it's time to sear it to eat at about 6ish?
    Too long for tri tip, not long enough for chuck roast. Time and temps depend on the cut.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    If you have to SV that long, start off frozen solid.  It buys you another hour or so.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Ok. Thanks. Just not the time to try then. Everything I read says 6 hours for Tri tip. Is that right?

i am cooking two tomorrow and want to do a comparison but have to either start SV at 7 am or 230.  Doesn't sound like either time will work. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
     Time and temps depend on the cut.
    I have really been struggling with the above. I'm new to SV and have discovered that what you know about cooking Q in general does not directly transfer over to SV. 
    As an example, and I say this in all seriousness, I thought I would trial run the SV with some hog and goat anus as they are free of charge. With that said, I prefer anus between 155-160 internal. Anything lower and the the anus is gummy and mushy. Anything higher
    and the anus is snappy and stringy.  
    Thus far, all my attempts at SV anus has been stringy. I'm taking a guess that i need to shorten the cooking time with the SV. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can extend times by lowing temps, but 130F is min temp for over 4 hours.

Stuff can get mushy.  At the extreme, you can mix up the meat with a fork and drink it with a straw.  Great if you have a jaw wired shut.  Or use a blender.
    Options
    I don't feel like typing, so I'll link.
    http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    Well aren't you lazy! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Or change your cut of protein my friend ;)
    Nothing better than the ole hole my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Well aren't you lazy! ;)
    And drunk
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Thank you brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    While I'd agree, hole-heartedly, our definition of hole may differ slightly my friend  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    I prefer mine deep fried.  Its like a meat donut.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options

DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Well aren't you lazy! ;)
    And drunk
    Now you're thinking clearly.  Good reference you provided for sure.
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Myself as well brother Ozzie. I have always deep fried Anus as well. All my SV Anus has been finished by deep frying. But I have yet to achieve the desired end result. 

Status- Standing by.

• bigbadben
    Options
    Thermoworks sells sealing tape and a waterproof probe that can be inserted through a vacuum sealed bag.  You could monitor for how long to reach your desired IT then hold for the minimum pasteurization time. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @tikigriller
    My apologies for the anal highjack my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Myself as well brother Ozzie. I have always deep fried Anus as well. All my SV Anus has been finished by deep frying. But I have yet to achieve the desired end result. 
    Scottie, I know you'll be able to push through!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I never thought this topic would get you all talking about Anals!!!!  More power to ya all!!!!!  Love it!!!

Livermore, California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    This sort of scenario is the one thing where having a sous vide unit with WiFi capability would actually be useful.

Plopping the meat in the tub with a mix of ice/water to keep it near frozen when you leave for work and then being able to turn on the heat from your office a few hours before you get home is a useful capability.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    Options
    @heavyg you are a genius!!!  The one I have is a wifi!!!!

so now, how long do I SV a Tri tip?

Livermore, California
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This sort of scenario is the one thing where having a sous vide unit with WiFi capability would actually be useful.

Plopping the meat in the tub with a mix of ice/water to keep it near frozen when you leave for work and then being able to turn on the heat from your office a few hours before you get home is a useful capability.
    This is exactly what I was thinking... Asked the wife for the Anova WiFi unit, so I could do just this. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    DMW said:
    does anyone have this book and know what the cover of the second edition looks like. I want to order this book but not sure if the Amazon listing is the 1st or 2nd edition
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Deep fried anus does sound like something we need to do at the Butt Blast.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    HeavyG said:

This is exactly what I was thinking... Asked the wife for the Anova WiFi unit, so I could do just this. 

I've posted this link before but here it is again for anyone that never saw it: http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/experiments-to-determine-how-long-will-a-sous-vide-ice-bath-keep-food-safe

When I use my immersion circulators I usually use a cheap 20qt cooler rather than just a pot or plastic Cambro type of vessel. If you want to do the "time-delay" sous vide thing I would definitely use a cooler and the article agrees. A cooler will make it easier to keep things cold and with smaller quantities of ice.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    John, on a very serious note, it's a delicacy. Anus is used by many places (myself included) to make mock or imitation calimary. 

Status- Standing by.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2016
    Options
    interesting link...I would do what NOLA says 
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sous-vide-tri-tip-cilantro-butter
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    John, on a very serious note, it's a delicacy. Anus is used by many places (myself included) to make mock or imitation calimary. 
    Note to self:

dont eat calimari at scottie's house. 

Little Rock, AR

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Well aren't you lazy! ;)
    Went to Amazon this morning and wasn't sure if they were selling the 2nd edition. I emailed the author and heard back in about 2 hours. Pleased the order and book should be arriving Tuesday. Thanks for the link (even if you were Lazy or drunk)
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• DMW
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Well aren't you lazy! ;)
    Went to Amazon this morning and wasn't sure if they were selling the 2nd edition. I emailed the author and heard back in about 2 hours. Pleased the order and book should be arriving Tuesday. Thanks for the link (even if you were Lazy or drunk)
    Cool, let us know how you like the book, I've only used the web reference guide.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA