Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Getting a 5-bone prime rib for Christmas - how early should I get this thing? I've searched and have seen the recommendation of rinsing, drying, salting and then leaving uncovered in the fridge until cooking (essentially dry aging). I have this one schedule for pickup on christmas eve - should i grab this one earlier?

Whats the best route to take here?

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Get it earlier if you can.  If not, its really not the end of the world.  The longer you let it dry out, uncovered in your fridge, the better crust you're going to form when you roast it. 

Ideally you would have gotten it 45 days before Christmas. Ha!  But, I'd shoot for mid-week, instead of Saturday.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Even 1 night before is better than nothing, but yeah, snagging it this weekend and leaving it uncovered in the fridge will improve things more.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Reltserw said:
    Getting a 5-bone prime rib for Christmas - how early should I get this thing? I've searched and have seen the recommendation of rinsing, drying, salting and then leaving uncovered in the fridge until cooking (essentially dry aging). I have this one schedule for pickup on christmas eve - should i grab this one earlier?

no salting

as for the rest.  there is plenty of info here.  but.... if it is your first time, you might want to skip it this year.

why? it's not pretty looking, it's 'new' to many people, and you may feel skittish risking a hundred bucks worth of meat only to flinch on christmas day and decide "not to risk it".  especially if the wife is rolling her eyes at you.

• GaryLange
    Options
    The hardest part of cooking Prime Rib is buying it. If it has the bones on it cut them off and tie the roast as close to round as you can get it. Use a 9"X13" pan with a rack on top and put the bones in the bottom. Rub the roast down with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper set it on the rack. You want it setting high so that the heat can get all sides. Put the roast in the fridge until you're ready to cook it. Set temp at 250* and place the roast in the oven with an internal thermometer to watch the internal temp. I did a 7lb roast and it took about 4 hours to get to 110* internal temp. Remove it and set it aside with the probe still in and cover lightly with foil. Temp will rise to 120* which will be Medium Rare. This will take about 30-40 min. meanwhile you can get the other things ready for te dinner like Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus. Mine turned out amazing and was Medium Rare to rare from the outside in. This is thanks to following the article in Amazing Ribs.com. It took three tries with the Prime Rib until I found the Amazing Ribs article and used that. I am sold on this method now and will use it every time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    "Temp will rise to 120º which will be Medium Rare."  First time I have seen 120º considered Medium Rare.  Its Rare by most conventions I've seen.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Reltserw said:

no salting

as for the rest.  there is plenty of info here.  but.... if it is your first time, you might want to skip it this year.

why? it's not pretty looking, it's 'new' to many people, and you may feel skittish risking a hundred bucks worth of meat only to flinch on christmas day and decide "not to risk it".  especially if the wife is rolling her eyes at you.

I wear the pants in this household!

not my first prime rib, but the first I'm considering letting this thing sit uncovered in the fridge for a few days. 

Here is the most recent go at it: 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    So we are thinking about a prime rib for New Year's Eve.  When should we purchase?  Would like to try to dry-age it in the refrigerator as well.  Thanks.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    dihtn said:
    So we are thinking about a prime rib for New Year's Eve.  When should we purchase?  Would like to try to dry-age it in the refrigerator as well.  Thanks.
    Now, go purchase it now. We decided on prime rib for our Christmas party this Saturday. Unfortunately that was not decided as early as I wish it had been. So I'll only have 17 days drying/aging on this guy.

I just took this picture, 15 days in, it's coming along nicely, but I wish I had started a bit earlier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dihtn
    Options
    Thank you.  Ok, so I'll ask, so which cooking technique to you use?
  • DMW
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Thank you.  Ok, so I'll ask, so which cooking technique to you use?
    That was 16.7lbs when I started. We probably will only have around 14 +/- at our party, there are some that won't know if they can make it until day of. I'm planning to cut steaks off until the approximate amount needed is left, then vac seal and freeze the steaks. With the remaining roast, I'm planning to go low and slow indirect on the XL around 225*-ish until it's around 120* IT and then let it rest until it's time to eat. Before cooking I'll tie it up to keep it uniform as much as possible and season with EVOO, salt, pepper, and maybe a little Montreal steak seasoning if I feel like it.  
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dihtn
    Options
    I think I would have problems holding a 225 temp since we don't have a controller.  So would you go for a sear at the end?
  • DMW
    Options
    dihtn said:
    I think I would have problems holding a 225 temp since we don't have a controller.  So would you go for a sear at the end?
    Nope, not needed really. Even if you only dry it for a few days in the fridge and cook it at 250*, you won't need to sear at the end. You'll get a decent crust without a sear. I've done reverse sear with prime rib, and it's really not needed and can present problems.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• dihtn
    Options
  • dihtn
    Options
    One more question, how long per pound will it take to do the prime rib at those temperatures?
  • Aquaticdoc
    Options
    I've a 15# prime prime rib, aged since the first week in December, looking pretty good. At 225° how long (indirect) might I need to cook?