Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FYI: RTIC Rotomolded Coolers on sale

Options
2»

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I should sell my Yeti 20, 45 and 65 on CL and then buy RTIC and put a load of cash in my pocket... Uggh. Not worth the hassle.. *Insert pic of me kicking self*

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Soft pak on sale, too.  Now we're talking.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/softpak
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    SGH said:
    For those RTIC owners out there have you done any comparisons with yeti (ice retention and build quality etc...)?? Looks like a good product, I would like to pick up a 65 without the yeti price tag! Side note I've been happy with my yetis, they keep my drinks cold and meat hot! Had to use the 45 for a 6 days when the power went out after a hurricane (frozen food from the refrigerator). Thanks for the info @cazzy
    I have Yeti, Engel, Orca, Pelican and RTIC. The performance between all of the rotomolded coolers is very similar. There is not enough difference in them to argue about. They are all made of the same material, they all use just about the same amount of insulation. The biggest difference in them is cosmetics and shape. Yeti makes a couple of "extra depth" models that I really like for the extra depth that they provide. But other than things like that, the performance is similar.  
    For the money, RTIC is hard to beat. I have not heard of anyone being disappointed in the RTIC's yet. I have four of the RTIC's and have zero complaints with them. 
    Thank you @SGH ! Happy Birthday as well! That's enough for me to give RTIC a try. Out of curiosity is the rotomold on the RTIC's a smooth finish? One of my older yeti's has little pores in the finish that collect mold, it is tough to keep that black mold off! Good thing we have a pressure washer!

LBGE
    AL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SGH said:
    For those RTIC owners out there have you done any comparisons with yeti (ice retention and build quality etc...)?? Looks like a good product, I would like to pick up a 65 without the yeti price tag! Side note I've been happy with my yetis, they keep my drinks cold and meat hot! Had to use the 45 for a 6 days when the power went out after a hurricane (frozen food from the refrigerator). Thanks for the info @cazzy
    I have Yeti, Engel, Orca, Pelican and RTIC. The performance between all of the rotomolded coolers is very similar. There is not enough difference in them to argue about. They are all made of the same material, they all use just about the same amount of insulation. The biggest difference in them is cosmetics and shape. Yeti makes a couple of "extra depth" models that I really like for the extra depth that they provide. But other than things like that, the performance is similar.  
    For the money, RTIC is hard to beat. I have not heard of anyone being disappointed in the RTIC's yet. I have four of the RTIC's and have zero complaints with them. 
    Thank you @SGH ! Happy Birthday as well! That's enough for me to give RTIC a try. Out of curiosity is the rotomold on the RTIC's a smooth finish? One of my older yeti's has little pores in the finish that collect mold, it is tough to keep that black mold off! Good thing we have a pressure washer!

The finish on my RTIC 65 which I got last summer is as smooth as glass.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    They also have a new color "Ocean Blue"

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Good prices.

My 35qt Pelican fully loaded is no joke, and I lift humans.  Wouldn't want either end of a 100-150qt fully loaded roto, F that.  This was the biggest factor for me, opting for two smaller Pelicans(2 35s), instead of one beast.  One for food, one drink.

My Igloo 120qt ATC cooler, even with wheels, is a beast loaded up.  I have wrestled it loading and unloading solo, akin to a field dressed, mature deer...and it sucks.  The pain and burn feels good, with deer though. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I'm really tempted to get one.  I hoped the 20 would be good for traveling, but we're too loaded up for that.  One of the soft paks would probably be perfect for that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm really tempted to get one.  I hoped the 20 would be good for traveling, but we're too loaded up for that.  One of the soft paks would probably be perfect for that.
    I can't stand the yeti hopper 30 I asked for and received as a gift last holiday season -- it's difficult to load and unload through the slit opening, it's capacity is weak with a very small and oddly shaped inner bottom, and the zipper's a PITA to use.  But I didn't want to suffer what used to be a disqualifyingly long order-delivery time for the soft pak.  Now that they're shipping quickly and also are ON SALE, it's a no-brainer.  Question is how do I unload the expen$$ive yeti hopper??  I'm taking offers . . . it'll look great in the back of a blinged out Escalade!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Just picked up the 30 soft sided for the wife for her Bday.  Thanks @Cazzy for the heads up!
    Edina, MN

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Just picked up the 30 soft sided for the wife for her Bday.  Thanks @Cazzy for the heads up!
    I would be in so much trouble if I got my wife a cooler.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Lit said:
    Budgeezer said:
    It's obviously a shoe/purse storage organizer! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    cazzy said:

I can't stand the yeti hopper 30 I asked for and received as a gift last holiday season -- it's difficult to load and unload through the slit opening, it's capacity is weak with a very small and oddly shaped inner bottom, and the zipper's a PITA to use.  But I didn't want to suffer what used to be a disqualifyingly long order-delivery time for the soft pak.  Now that they're shipping quickly and also are ON SALE, it's a no-brainer.  Question is how do I unload the expen$$ive yeti hopper??  I'm taking offers . . . it'll look great in the back of a blinged out Escalade!
    List your Hopper on Craigslist. Anything sells there.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Lit said:
    Budgeezer said:

She has been eyeing up the Yeti, so I thought I would surprise her with the RTIC.
    Edina, MN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have the 40 softside RTC.  Great cooler.  Zipper can be a beotch unless you lubricate it periodically.  It actually came with some zipper lube (made in KY I imagine).
    i ordered the blue 45 today. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • cazzy
    Options
    i ordered the blue 45 today. 
    Man, those went fast!  At least their website only allows you to buy what's in stock now. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    I have the 40 softside RTC.  Great cooler.  Zipper can be a beotch unless you lubricate it periodically.  It actually came with some zipper lube (made in KY I imagine).
    I was going back and forth between the 20 and 30 for road trips.  I almost bought both of them, but I ended up just getting the 20.  Since we're always fighting for space, I figured the smaller footprint was the way to go.  The 30 isn't much bigger than the 20 (1" wider and 1.5" more depth), so I think the 40 will be the way to go if we need another one.  I expected the zipper to suck, but I'm glad Mr. Cooking Nurse's lube makes it a lil easier.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm thinking a soft pak is coming my way for Christmas......fingers crossed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA