Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot: new toy Jeep

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Focker said:
    Zip with those much larger tires, and stock speedometer settings, your 60 is actually closer to 70.
    I wondered about that, not so much for the speed but the odometer, has to throw that off a good bit over time too. 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Got my '05 a couple of years ago, just had it painted and added a lift and tires
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Zippylip said:
    Focker said:
    Zip with those much larger tires, and stock speedometer settings, your 60 is actually closer to 70.
    I wondered about that, not so much for the speed but the odometer, has to throw that off a good bit over time too. 
    You can have the speedo recalibrated. Might have been done already.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Zippylip said:
    Dobie said:
    Zippylip said:
    Had a jeep for years, TJ. Bought it for 21k, sold it six years later for 17k.  Lots  of fun. It worked in Dallas where the speed limits were 45mph on city roads.  I moved to Austin, and speed limits were 65mph.  The jeep is not built for a smooth daily commute at those speeds!!
    As much as I like this thing I really can't imagine it as a daily driver & I think it would kill the fun aspect of it.  I took it out on the highway just to see what it could do, and what it did was 60mph with my foot to the floor, couldn't coax another mph out of it :o, but that's fine by me, it'll rarely see the highway =) .

For the daily grind I prefer small quick automatic & efficient matchbox type cars with all the necessary comforts...
    Sounds like you have the 4 banger in it? If so yeah it sucks with oversized tires.
    Nice off-road toys but a 500 mile days with the road manners of a tractor combined with soft top flapping so loud you scream at each other to talk at speed was too much for me as I got middle aged. If it's not your daily driver, it can be fun to play with. 
    Dobie, I didn't mention it above but two of my other must haves were the 4.0 straight six and 5 speed manual, both of which this one has; those two items knocked a good many otherwise good looking Jeeps out of the running, just can't fathom a Jeep with an automatic trans, & I did a good bit of reading before hand & came to the pretty quick realization that in the Jeep world the old six is one of the best motors ever made so I never considered the 4 either.  Could my issue be low gearing?  I don't know what's in there but I figure maybe the guy before me did something like that...
    Good, was afraid you got the 2.5 four. That inline 6 cylinder 4.0 should be strong. Maybe they regeared it if it lacks top end. But like has been said unless they adjusted the speedo your close to 70, with the poor handling you likely won't want you go much faster anyway. I put 200K on a 4.0 in a Grand Cherokee, it was rock solid. My wife's nephew has it now, still going after 20 years. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I drove a jeep for quite a few years. Loved it....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Zippylip said:
    Had a jeep for years, TJ. Bought it for 21k, sold it six years later for 17k.  Lots  of fun. It worked in Dallas where the speed limits were 45mph on city roads.  I moved to Austin, and speed limits were 65mph.  The jeep is not built for a smooth daily commute at those speeds!!
    As much as I like this thing I really can't imagine it as a daily driver & I think it would kill the fun aspect of it.  I took it out on the highway just to see what it could do, and what it did was 60mph with my foot to the floor, couldn't coax another mph out of it :o, but that's fine by me, it'll rarely see the highway =) .

For the daily grind I prefer small quick automatic & efficient matchbox type cars with all the necessary comforts...
    Mine does 85 with no problem.  The newer models have more horsepower. When you get hooked look at getting a new one next time.  It's fun to fully customize it. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • please keep off topic posts in the "Off Topic" forum, which was specifically set aside for this type of uninteresting, unhelpful, post.

Get a rope...

• This was my daily driver for 15 years. Sold it in 13 and still miss it. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Nice looking Jeep!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SloppyJoe said:
    please keep off topic posts in the "Off Topic" forum, which was specifically set aside for this type of

Get a rope...

Hang him? No. but sinking his thread and shadow banning for a week should do it. 
  • My speedo, with 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires, is off 5 mph based on GPS reading. Haven't checked the odo. Bought an 09 this summer completely stock with 32,000 miles. Lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, winch, etc. Not sure which is worse, egg or jeep. Doing my part to support the local oil and gas industry; smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited December 2016
    Congrats on the new toy!
    No offence but I would shorten that dangling rope from the garage door opener disengage lever, may be the camera angle makes it look lower than it really is. You don't want it to catch anything and yank it, don't ask how I know, I've shortened mine since the close call that scared the **** out of me  :)

canuckland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Congrats on the new toy!
    No offence but I would shorten that dangling rope from the garage door opener disengage lever, may be the camera angle makes it look lower than it really is. You don't want it to catch anything and yank it, don't ask how I know, I've shortened mine since the close call that scared the **** out of me  :)

Covered mine in blue painter's tape for a quick fix.  Slides right over as I pull in, to a tighter fit.

To the Jeep guys, do y'all all wave to one another, like the Harley guys?  Cracks me up when I see both do it around here in the Quads, aside from the small town IA/IL, where everyone waves, at anybody.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Ive had three in my life plus an international scout.  Wish i kept all of em.  Business goal for '17 is a rubicon...stay tuned....
  • Zippylip
    dorfami said:
     Not sure which is worse, egg or jeep. Doing my part to support the local oil and gas industry; smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon.
    I don't know, yet.  I do recall buying my egg & thinking wow, $600 is pretty steep (in 04) for a smoker but at least that's all I have to spend & it'll last a lifetime; funny the naivety.  Of course a few years later I needed the $11,000 roof over it so I could stand next to it in the rain, and a brick & stone table, and two more eggs, and a blackstone, and all the other crap I can't (& don't want to) remember hahaha.

So yea there's precedent for escalation.  But who cares, already on a solid trajectory to die broke anyway =)
    Congrats on the new toy!
    No offence but I would shorten that dangling rope from the garage door opener disengage lever, may be the camera angle makes it look lower than it really is.
    actually the camera angle doesn't make it look lower but does a good job of misrepresenting it's depth, it's about a foot to the left of the jeep; I park my car in there too so they're both as close to their side of the garage as possible
    happy in the hut
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have owned two, a 78 CJ 5 Renegade 3 speed, with the Levi interior, kept it and replaced everything on it you could replace, twice. It was still made by AMC at that time.
    Finally rust got it.
    Then I bought a 98 Wrangler 4.0. I held out until the headlights went round again. I was not fond of square headlights on a Jeep. Kept that vehicle until a couple years ago. Miss it every single minute of every day.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Zippylip
    YukonRon said:
    I have owned two, a 78 CJ 5 Renegade 3 speed, with the Levi interior, kept it and replaced everything on it you could replace, twice. It was still made by AMC at that time.
    Finally rust got it.
    Then I bought a 98 Wrangler 4.0. I held out until the headlights went round again. I was not fond of square headlights on a Jeep. Kept that vehicle until a couple years ago. Miss it every single minute of every day.

yup, the square headlights were an absolute deal killer for me; saw quite a few jeeps of that vintage on the market that were otherwise perfect for what I was looking for but just couldn't get past those lights, just kills the front end.  Has to be a bigger blunder than new coke
    happy in the hut
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited December 2016
    Nice looking ride Zippy. I have owned many Jeeps over the years, starting with a '65 Wagoneer, currently have a '14 Grand Cherokee, and at least 3 Wranglers in between.  
    You made a comment above about auto tranny's - serious off-roaders want the automatic transmission because it makes inching over an obstacle easier. 

Couple of things to watch out for:

- Death wobble.  Google it if you don't know what it is, and be prepared when it happens so that you don't end up in a ditch on the side of the highway. 

- Whatever you do, don't go to www.quadratec.com, that place is like the Ceramic Gill Store of Jeep accessories. 

- Jeep wave. Typically done with only the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the steering wheel. There is a hierarchy concerning who waves first.

- Mallcrawlers always wave first. 

- If you're not sure if your Jeep is a Mallcrawler, then it is. 

In all seriousness, have fun with your new toy, nothing better than running down the road with the top down and the doors off. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @CTMike that's funny! I just sent that to
    my wife. Mallcrawler. Hahahah
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Zippylip
    CTMike said:
    Nice looking ride Zippy. I have owned many Jeeps over the years, starting with a '65 Wagoneer, currently have a '14 Grand Cherokee, and at least 3 Wranglers in between.  
    You made a comment above about auto tranny's - serious off-roaders want the automatic transmission because it makes inching over an obstacle easier. 

Couple of things to watch out for:

- Death wobble.  Google it if you don't know what it is, and be prepared when it happens so that you don't end up in a ditch on the side of the highway. 

- Whatever you do, don't go to www.quadratec.com, that place is like the Ceramic Gill Store of Jeep accessories. 

- Jeep wave. Typically done with only the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the steering wheel. There is a hierarchy concerning who waves first.

- Mallcrawlers always wave first. 

- If you're not sure if your Jeep is a Mallcrawler, then it is. 

In all seriousness, have fun with your new toy, nothing better than running down the road with the top down and the doors off. 
    yea, I'll admit to knowingly entering into this deal intending Mallcrawler status.  Like I said above, my original plan was a convertible, preferably a late 60's muscle car for use only on sunny days/warm weather/slow cruising.  Other than the type of vehicle I switched to, nothing has changed about its purpose.  From my understanding I'm about 2 hours from the nearest serious Jeep friendly offroading & I have little to no desire to make that round trip.  Most of my early vehicles were manual, loved them, the best part of driving.  Got older, grew weary of the Mon-Fri slog through traffic & went automatic years ago but given this thing's purpose it had to be stick.

I'll take your advice re Quadratec.com, problem is I can walk to the actual Quadratec from my house, see signature :s=)
    happy in the hut
  • Nice Jeep I don't have one now but have usually had one around. You are doing it right they are best when not your daily driver. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I need a bigger garage 
  • Nice Jeep.  I started this addiction about 5 years ago and love it. If built right, they are great daily drivers in the summertime. The soft top gets loud and can be a PITA. With the 5 speed and I6, you should easily be able to go faster. Use a GPS to check your speedometer. If the Spedo is correct, then the PO probably didn't regear.  There are plenty of gear ratio calculators on the Internet to use to help get your Jeep close to factory specs. Get out and wheel. You will know what you need/want to upgrade after each trip. Enjoy the addiction and may God have mercy on your wallet. 
    San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2016
    It's always a good idea to buy something like this after someone sunk a bunch of money (much of it that they won't get back) in it.  ...and they did the things you want.

Image result for mercedes 6 wheel

Wife bought her 2013 new and just loves the thing. Forecast today is for 7-11" of snow, the Jeep just laughs. :) 

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Zippylip
    znagle28 said:
    Look into fluid filming the undercarriage of your jeep. I did mine in the spring and before winter. The thread below has all you need. Short story it's much better than traditional udnercoating and protects from salt and dirt. Keep that thing rust free. Wranglerforum is also the mecca of everything you'll ever need, beware though it's just like this website. You find something new you want to buy every day...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-end-all-fluid-film-thread-1267809.html
    so yea I joined that forum, read the thread & added a few $10 cans of Fluid Film to the shopping list as it's clearly a necessity; oh, of course now I'll need a car lift (& a bigger garage to erect it in) to properly apply the film so my initial modest investment will no doubt cost me $75,000 by the time all is said & done  :s=)

Can't take it witcha
    happy in the hut
  • Mano'pause

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Mano'pause
    Menopause = Men on pause  =)
    canuckland