Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax untouched for a while, KAB rusted , CGS woo not

Options
why is that the case? The egg had some mold on the grid, cleaned her up and thighs are on.
The KAB has rusted out and the CGS woo.. well done Tom has 0 rust. 

Both stored the same exact way.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The kab is directly touching lump and gets much hotter than the Woo.

The heat changes the properties of the stainless steel and it will rust faster, has to do with chromium and carbon forming carbides that move to grain boundaries.  No matter what you use (within reason ... inconel would be fine) will loose its corrosion resistance under the temps lump burns at (1000+ deg F)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    the woo is stainless, kab is not.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Perfect xplanining right there... thanks
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    KAB is not made of stainless steel and CGS woo is.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    KAB is not made of stainless steel and CGS woo is.
    Kick ash answer, thank you sir!

Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was under the impression it was, but at least now you know why it isn't stainless.  The conditions it is used in would defeat the purpose.

Btw, thank you for correcting me on that point.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited December 2016
    Options
    He has a stainless version out for the large but it is a little more expensive. I imagine he will come out with a stainless version in other sizes at some point. 

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=16

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I was under the impression it was, but at least now you know why it isn't stainless.  The conditions it is used in would defeat the purpose.

What makes the KAB's heat abuse different than the HighQ?   Not being argumentative just curious. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options

What makes the KAB's heat abuse different than the HighQ?   Not being argumentative just curious. 
    Nothing that I know of.  I have never used a HighQ.  Does it not rust?  My only guess would be the fact that the KAB is a basket and actually keeps the lump of the ceramic walls locating more heat directly into it, but I am out on a limb on that guess.

SS and heat is a well defined and studied effect.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I have a few high ques... 0 rust.
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Nothing that I know of.  I have never used a HighQ.  Does it not rust?  My only guess would be the fact that the KAB is a basket and actually keeps the lump of the ceramic walls locating more heat directly into it, but I am out on a limb on that guess.

SS and heat is a well defined and studied effect.
    But the lump sits/burns directly on the HQ as well. Have two, no rust. Not a materials science guy either. Just pointing out. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I have a few high ques... 0 rust.
    Cool!  Good to know, defintely a bonus for the HighQ.

I am not real pleased with any of my KABs in relation to rust.  They work well, but they do rust real bad and mine have warped a little.  They are the heavier gauge steel too.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The one in my large is at least 5yrs old and no rust, the one in the small is 4yrs and the mini is 1 1/2yrs old. No rust.  

No scientific proof but I would guess that the woo in the mini prolly catches almost as much heat abuse (being so close to the flame) as most KAB.  Maybe stainless would be a good KAB move.  Just guessing with no proof.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Thanks. Didn't know he started making a stainless version. For what it's worth I'm still using my original kab from 3(?) years ago, it rusted and falling apart but holding. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first buyers. I've since got one of the beefier versions for the mm, (he actually personally delivered it to my campsite at the ga man eggfest!) and will get another for the large soon. Great product and seriously a great guy to buy a product from.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I didn't know Kick Ash had the SS version now. Doesn't matter though. $60 is the reason I'll never own even the mild steel one. That, plus I don't see the benefit of one anyway. $100 is just obscene, SS or not!

The High Que is SS.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Carolina..... always the voice of reason in this out of control $$$$ BBQ world some of us have gotten wrapped up in.
    Seattle, WA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    a burning lump pile is a wicked place for metal.  couple pics of my lump bucket from the early days when I was playing with metal and heat.  It's 304 stainless and shows the affects of high temps.   

The bucket is circa 2007.  It's somewhere in the shop, probably should pull it out and give it a couple ripping hot cooks to see if father time has had any affect on it.

the pics remind me, with y'all's support, how far CGS has come.  I hand rolled the rings on the bucket.  We moved up the technology ladder a bunch since those days........thanks,         t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    The kab is directly touching lump and gets much hotter than the Woo.

The heat changes the properties of the stainless steel and it will rust faster, has to do with chromium and carbon forming carbides that move to grain boundaries.  No matter what you use (within reason ... inconel would be fine) will loose its corrosion resistance under the temps lump burns at (1000+ deg F)
    I've got some inconel laying around.  $6/pound
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FYI KAB (if requested) can be made in 304
    & it won't rust regardless of extreme heat.
    But, the offset in cost to manufacturer doesn't appeal to most thus why it's made with steel.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    tjv said:
    a burning lump pile is a wicked place for metal.  couple pics of my lump bucket from the early days when I was playing with metal and heat.  It's 304 stainless and shows the affects of high temps.   

The bucket is circa 2007.  It's somewhere in the shop, probably should pull it out and give it a couple ripping hot cooks to see if father time has had any affect on it.

the pics remind me, with y'all's support, how far CGS has come.  I hand rolled the rings on the bucket.  We moved up the technology ladder a bunch since those days........thanks,         t

That was done in your Mad Scientist Lab?
    I remember I had the opportunity to visit it years back!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I've got a KAB that should arrive in the next few days. I'll keep an eye out for trust but I ma not worried. Grill parts rust. Its all part of life.

I have a PSwoo and I've got to call the guys at CGS and order an extender and sliding grate for it. Kind of waiting until after Christmas in hopes of getting some Christmas cash. Love their stuff but I'm unemployed at the moment so got to cut my spending.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    After 2 summers worth of cooking (not much done in the cold winter months) mine looked like it was dug up from an archeological dig. Warped, rusted out. Flaking. I was very disappointed. 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    had mine for a few months now and Its already rusty. 
    LBGE circa 2016