Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Score!!!! Van Winkle Reserve 12 yo

Options
i just got the email from the PA liquor board that I was picked in the Pappy's lottery. I can get a bottle of 12 yo Van Winkle Family Reserve, for $99.  Just checked the going price online and it looks like $750 a bottle. So what do I do?

Drink it now?  Put it away for years?  Make someone's day with a heck of a Christmas gift?  Cook a brisket, invite a bunch of friends over and throw a tasting party?  

I'm leaning towards a party. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Congrats to you! Drink it or have a party are my recommendations. Cheers! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I'm hoping the VA ABC gives me a call soon!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Invite me over for the taste party.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nice!!  Gotta drink it or share it.  You could pour it into another bottle, pour in some cheap booze and sell it for $750 to a clueless money'd hipster.  Best of both worlds.

(I don't condone immoral behavior, but just throwing the idea out there)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm hoping the VA ABC gives me a call soon!
    I'm right there with you. It would be a great way to toast out the year for the wife and I. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Egg fest!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Bepier
    Bepier Posts: 22
    Options
    Bourbon meatballs
    Cumming, GA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Congrats, I had a buddy who won a bottle of PVW as well a few months back.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I'd sell the hell out of it for $750. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    i just got the email from the PA liquor board that I was picked in the Pappy's lottery. I can get a bottle of 12 yo Van Winkle Family Reserve, for $99.  Just checked the going price online and it looks like $750 a bottle. So what do I do?

Drink it now?  Put it away for years?  Make someone's day with a heck of a Christmas gift?  Cook a brisket, invite a bunch of friends over and throw a tasting party?  

I'm leaning towards a party. 

This is probably what I would do, though I might not invite any friends over.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    If you've never had it, find a bar or restaurant that has it and spend a bit to get a taste.  Then decide.  It could be you don't love it and that tips you to sell it, or it's the best thing ever and you want to keep/share it.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Congrats, I managed to score a bottle of PVW23 two years ago but have been shut out ever since. As for storing it for a couple of years, keep in mind it doesn't get any better in the bottle, aging stops once it comes out of the barrel. 

As for selling or drinking, that's a personal decision, but personally I would drink it. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Do what Legume said. Go to a bar that has it, spend a little money and try it. I have friends who drink lots of different Bourbons and they have found bars that have PVW. Some liked it, others were unimpressed. One friend found a bar that 4 different types of PVW. He said one was good, one was OK, the other 2 were not that good. If it were me, I'd consider keeping it for a special occasion or maybe an awesome gift for a friend. BUT, if I could get a $650 profit off it, I would really consider selling it as well.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'd sell it and buy a case of Makers Mark. With the leftover cash you could still finance a whole bunch of USDA Prime mammal parts for your Egg.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I can PM you my address if you get a yearning for the Christmas Gift option.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    A few years back bought a bottle of PVW20. Same problem with the secondary market prices.  Ultimately decided to keep it.  Pour myself a dram every now and again to congratulate myself and usually another pour during Christmas Eve or NYE.  Enjoy.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'll probably break it out Christmas Day after dinner.  Both my boys will be home, and we'll have a couple of friends over.  It will be a good after dinner sip following the Cap of Ribeye I'll be Egging.  Dinner will also be a taste test.  I have a Wagyu Cap from SRF, and 4 pounds of Prime Cap from Costco.  We'll see if folks can tell the difference.
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    A few work Christmas parties ago my coworkers husband cracked a bottle of scotch that was bottled from the 1960's his boss gave him as a Christmas bonus one year. I'm not a scotch drinker in the least. Moral of the story, don't crack your bottle when you're a few beers deep and give it to some idiot who has no idea what the hell they are drinking. It's probably the most expensive drink I'll ever end up drinking and someone could have told me it's Old Crow scotch and I wouldn't have known the difference. He didn't seem to care and we did some damage to that bottle. I'm sure some aficionado scotch drinkers would have kicked my arse throwing down scotch drinks the way we did. Got to love work Christmas parties!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    A few work Christmas parties ago my coworkers husband cracked a bottle of scotch that was bottled from the 1960's his boss gave him as a Christmas bonus one year. I'm not a scotch drinker in the least. Moral of the story, don't crack your bottle when you're a few beers deep and give it to some idiot who has no idea what the hell they are drinking. It's probably the most expensive drink I'll ever end up drinking and someone could have told me it's Old Crow scotch and I wouldn't have known the difference. He didn't seem to care and we did some damage to that bottle. I'm sure some aficionado scotch drinkers would have kicked my arse throwing down scotch drinks the way we did. Got to love work Christmas parties!
    Lol. I have a buddy who on several occasions has poured some of my top shelf scotch (nothing over $100) into a glass over ice, then topped it off with coke! Good lord, that's what the $20 bottles are for, right? Oh well, cheers!
  • Luke_dogs
    Options
    Very nice!  I guess I lost as I did not get the e/m as of yet. 

I did did get lucky on the last lottery for the Thomas handy sazerac, have not tried it yet 

looking forward to your review. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Well that is a wake up call for me.  Thanks for the price point check as I have a bottle of the 12 year, unopened and I may pace myself with it given the inflation.  I scored a PVW 20 year old about three years ago and took every bit of two years to finish it off.  
    The exclusiveness of the pour definitely elevates the value much more than a unique and different wow factor with the taste IMO.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well that is a wake up call for me.  Thanks for the price point check as I have a bottle of the 12 year, unopened and I may pace myself with it given the inflation.  I scored a PVW 20 year old about three years ago and took every bit of two years to finish it off.  
    The exclusiveness of the pour definitely elevates the value much more than a unique and different wow factor with the taste IMO.  
    I agree.  It's a nice bourbon for sure.  I've had the 23 private reserve(restaurant), the 20 and the 12.  I'm not willing to pay the premium though.  Plenty of other great options IMO.  You got a great deal there.  Enjoy it brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would think you would want to share it with your Egghead forum friends at the first annual Van Winkle Blast.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    Looks like I will be able to enjoy a bottle of 15 yr in a few weeks. It will be a nice adult celebration for my wife and I after the birth of our daughter Friday morning. It's a good thing she drinks bourbon with me otherwise I would be in trouble for even entering the lottery. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    Congrats on the PVW and your new baby!

I wasn't lucky enough to get a bottle in the VA lotto so the search continues.
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks like I will be able to enjoy a bottle of 15 yr in a few weeks. It will be a nice adult celebration for my wife and I after the birth of our daughter Friday morning. It's a good thing she drinks bourbon with me otherwise I would be in trouble for even entering the lottery. 
    Congratulations.  Great reason for a celebration. 
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Lol. I have a buddy who on several occasions has poured some of my top shelf scotch (nothing over $100) into a glass over ice, then topped it off with coke! Good lord, that's what the $20 bottles are for, right? Oh well, cheers!
    Had someone put ice cubes in a 100 point hillside select the other day at the restaurant where I work. Merry Christmas!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Had someone put ice cubes in a 100 point hillside select the other day at the restaurant where I work. Merry Christmas!
    Did they order the wagyu brisket burger too? 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Nice!  Here in KY where it is made we have lotteries where hundreds of people show up hoping to win the chance to buy a bottle. My daughter and I lucked out and both got a bottle of ten year Old Rip Van Winkle!
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Congrats Tjcoley!
    I didn't know PLCB did lotteries for spirits. I do now.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset