Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin question

Options
My wife picked up a 4# loin and wants me to smoke it in my MBGE. 
Looking at my cookbooks , they are suggesting 375* for about 2 hrs. 
My question is will it hurt the meat to drop it down to 200-225 and leave it in for 4-5 hours?
My MC electric smoker turns out good in that range, not sure if EGG will be close to the same.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @PoppasGrill
    Brother you can cook a loin anywhere from 200-425 degrees with outstanding results. If you want to run 200-225, go for it. For decades that was the most common temp for cooking most all things Q related. The BGE produces incredible results at those temps. 
    Just a note, cook it to internal temp, not time. Pull it around 140 internal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm going to try this soon with a loin...

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/canadian-bacon/
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    injecting wont effect internal temp readings?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    We run slow almost always. 225-250

injecting won't change your final desired temp
  • SGH
    Options
    No sir, a liquid will not affect the the final internal temp. A liquid injected into the meat will rise at the same rate as the meats natural juices as well as the meat it's self. 
    On a separate note, if you lard or stuff the meat, the internal finish temp can change depending on what you larded or stuffed it with. The meats finish temp does not change, but to get the larding or stuffing done you may have to take the meat higher than it's actual done temp to get the larding of stuffing done.
    It is for the above reason that most (not all) folks no longer cook stuffed turkeys. You usually have to overcook the turkey meat to get the stuffing done.  
    As a general rule, a liquid will not change or affect the final internal temp. However a solid (larding or stuffing) certainly can and will affect it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PoppasGrill
    Options
    SGH said:
    No sir, a liquid will not affect the the final internal temp. A liquid injected into the meat will rise at the same rate as the meats natural juices as well as the meat it's self. 
    As a general rule, a liquid will not change or affect the final internal temp. However a solid (larding or stuffing) certainly can and will affect it. 

Thank you
  • outrageous
    Options
    Just do not overcook it.  it will cook faster than you think,   pull at 140*. 

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:

Thank you
    My pleasure brother. Always glad to help when and where I can. 

Status- Standing by.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You're welcome
    Just flat out dissed again! Heck it's just a roast, right? Ha ha 
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    You're welcome
    This will be my 2nd cook, 1st was Tbones for my wife and G baby, and is a trial run.
    Our neighbors were over for Thanksgiving dinner, she and her brother are 70+ and had no where else to go, so we did the right thing and ask that they join us. She wants to do Christmas dinner, Italian style, said she will make the lasagna if I will make the pork loin.
    so this cook is to work any bugs out so I don't mess up for Christmas.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    You're welcome
    No. thought he was saying thanks

-shrug-
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You're welcome
    No. thought he was saying thanks