Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some input on a second large

2»

Comments

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    edited December 2016
    I have two larges. It is the way to go in my opinion. 
    Would you do the same again if you could rewind? Or, would you get an XL to accompany the initial large egg? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    edited December 2016
    I have a large, medium, mini, and an Akorn (about the size as a large). On big cooks I crank up the large and the Akorn and if I need more space, then I go to my medium. 

Mofo with the large if you don't have any other grills. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Jameson19 said:
    Would you do the same again if you could rewind? Or, would you get an XL to accompany the initial large egg? 
    I would still get the large. I am actually thinking of adding an XL to the mix. I just like the way the larges fit in my table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I would get the second large since you entertain often. I've only had my LBGE 2 months and already considering adding a mini max or another large myself. 
    Large BGE

Richmond, VA
  • Jameson19 said:
    I would still get the large. I am actually thinking of adding an XL to the mix. I just like the way the larges fit in my table. 

Your table looks like a sweet setup. Do you happen to have the plans?
    Large BGE

Richmond, VA
  • I have a large and a mm my next one will be the XL I like the idea of more room for bigger cuts of meat or multiple cuts, and having the smaller grills for appetizers and or sides while the main protein is cooking. I agree that sharing accessories will soon go out the window and you will need two of everything.
  • I have the XL and just picked up a MM.  Best of both worlds in my opinion.  No matter what the incredibly talented, smart, well endowed(@SGH), and good looking crowd says, it's going to come down to personal preference.  

Figure it this way, buy what you think you want and then the other to just in case you were wrong. =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    I have the large, the medium, and a mini. The one I use most is the medium. Easier to bring up to heat for a small cook, although it seems to eat lump at a much quicker rate than the large. I use the large on bigger cooks, where I'm smoking a whole bunch of chicken or other meat. I have only used my mini as a searing source for steaks cooked on the medium. I'll bring the mini up to high heat just about the time I'm ready to pull the steaks from the medium. I'll most likely take it with us when we go on our annual long visit to Texas early next year, in the wintertime.
    Just me, though!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Never understood the rationale with sharing accessories?  You can only use one accessory, in one egg, at one time.  :s

I have yet to buy two of any eggcessory.  The AR and spider for one large, and platesetter for the other. 

Don't undersestimate the small, it can hold its own.

8lb shoulder

12" pan pizza

Zagna

And this

Good luck.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Just wanted to stay a quick thank you to all that responded your input has been very valuable.  Now i just need to either with a good grill cart or build a  table?

Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited December 2016

I have a Large and a Small at my house. I like the combination (I live by myself, the Small works for me, and the Large for having people over). My 3rd egg will be another Large for entertaining. I would much prefer 2 Larges over Large/Medium combo, I would rather share accessories.

My Dad has a Large/Medium combo at his cabin. I cooked for a party of 33 people this summer and made it work, but I would rather have Large/Large.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    This may be heresy, but Costco has the Pit Boss 24 (really a 21 1/2) on sale for $549 delivered.  If not for their last sale, I'd never have had a ceramic cooker, because I could never justify the cost.

For the much lower price, I'm doing Kamado cooking as a regular part of the rotation and loving it.
  • I like my XL and Large combo.  Had a small that I never used so I sold it to a friend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Sethwvu said:
    Jameson19 said:

Your table looks like a sweet setup. Do you happen to have the plans?
    Thanks. I am sorry, but I don't. I didn't build it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • 2 larges.  No regrets!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    No regrets on getting the second large. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle