Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza pie

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This afternoon will try my first pizza. Large egg, ceramic plate setter, and my own rectangular 14x10 stone. Don't have a peel. Any suggestions on bake times, temps (@dome?), whether to pre-bake crust without cheese initially, etc.?? As always, thanks fellow Eggsters!!
**I have read to clear out old lump and smokewood from firebox, so as not to overwhelm w/smoke flavor, etc. Gracias.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]The only time you need to prebake the crust is when cooking a classic italian pie that then is topped simplly with olive oil and tomato (sometimes cheese).[p]I use 550°F and cook using well heated stones for about 6-8 minutes. Below is the link to more detailed directions.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Assembly and cooking the pie[/ul]
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the "re-pie" Coincidentally, I'm using your recipe for the sauce, and am now getting my lump fired up. Will use a cutting board to replicate the peel I don't have yet...it's the same size as the stone---Wish me luck! Toppings tonight for this first-time Egg pie will be Pepperoni, Red Onion, Mozzarella & Aziago Cheeses, and Red Bell Pepper (9X the vitamin C as greenies!) Gracias bro!
    Big Murth
    p.s. Guess I'll need to boost the height of the stone so it's above the level of the bottom half of the egg.

• Big Murth, Ironically enough, I used a cutting board as a peel on my pizza as well.......just make sure you have lots of corn meal under your dough and just before you plop it onto the stone make sure it`s "sliding" ok.
    When I put mine onto the stone I was sliding it around on the cutting board and then when it was lined up I just slid it on with ease.....good luck...
    Roger![p]

• Big Murth
    Options
    Roger,
    Yup, copious amounts of corn meal did the trick. I blew it though, and didn't either get enough lump fired up and/or didn't wait long enough to build temperature.. however, things came out fine and the crust was crisp!! I guess when you put in the plate setter and the stone, it will absorb heat, and cause dome temps to drop---I had things at 550, and when the stone,etc., went in, it dropped to 300-350 range and never went up. Finally, popped the pie in and left it alone for 10-12 minutes, and though the dome temp dropped further to 300, it was pretty well done & OK.
    Thanks for your input, amigo!!

• Big Murth,......Yes, I noticed and posted that with my pie as well.......When the stone went in the egg the temp dropped like crazy........I just had to wait till it climbed back up......It actually took more time than I thought...
    Roger!