Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting my first egg this afternoon

Options
Lovetocook
Lovetocook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any tips on cooking on my new egg would be Great... I think I might try hamburgers first then chicken, then maybe a steak.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Lovetocook,[p]I would do chicken first..it is very forgiving..![p]Some good ideas are at[p]
    [ul][li]nakedwhiz site[/ul]
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Lovetocook,
    Just choose something that you already love and have confidence in, so that you can see the big comparison when cooked on the Egg.[p]I have had mine only since last Sunday and the menu has been:[p]Sunday: 2" thick pork chops with habanero cherry sauce (I substituted dried cranberries) served with roasted sweet potatoes coated with a BBQ rub (Dizzy Dust) mixed with brown sugar and EVOO and sauteed green beans. PC recipe from RhumAndJerk[p]Monday: Burgers (best I have ever had)[p]Tuesday: Grilled 2", NY strips coated with a garlic butter sauce that also has thyme, parsley, pepper, salt, EVOO and cognac; served with the above mentioned sweet potatoes and caramelized onions. Garlic Butter recipe from Retired RailRoader[p]Wednesday: Same steaks served with mashed potatoes with two heads of roasted garlic, butter and sour cream; along with sauteed oyster mushrooms with the above mentioned garlic butter sauce.[p]Thursday: Spatchcocked chicken with BBQ rub (Tsunami Spin) and grilling pineapple with a lime, honey, brown sugar and BBQ rub sauce; plus the left over potatoes.
    Chicken Technique thanks to the Naked Whiz and Pineapple thanks to gdenby[p]Friday Menu: Chicken salad made with leftover chicken and pineapple and and and

• Lovetocook,
    Just bought one myself about 3 weeks ago. Probably the best purchase I've made. I did the same thing starting off...i.e. hamburgers, and chicken. I did some ribs for the first time about 2-weeks ago, and I'm smoking a Boston Butt this weekend. Ask as many questions as you want, no matter how basic. The folks around here are very knowledgeable, and will answer any question you have. Welcome!

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Lovetocook, Good for you! Fill your firebox up with lump asap, and long before you need to eat. Light that puppy and set the bottom vent at about 1-2 inches open and on the top set it so that only the petals of the daisy are open, but the sliding top is closed. Let it go for an hour and see what temp it settles in on, probably 250-275. [p]Now you have an established fire that won't give you any off flavor smoke, and you can see what happens as you slowly slide the top open, or close the bottom some. [p]One of my early mistakes was trying to start cooking too fast, and if the fire is not settled in, the lump puts off unfavorable smoke. Have a blast, Scott[p]PS--read www.nakedwhiz.com and you'll know what I know after 2 1/2 years of egging.

• BobS,
    whats for supper?

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    my first cook was ribs!!!! i had to prove to my wife it was worth the money.sold her the minute she took a bite.then went the brand new gaser to the neighbor for peanuts!!! no looking back!
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    my first cook was ribs!!!! i had to prove to my wife it was worth the money.sold her the minute she took a bite.then went the brand new gaser to the neighbor for peanuts!!! no looking back!
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Lovetocook,[p]You already have some good advice. I'd spend time at Whiz's site like others mentioned. Pay close attention to the flashback video and lesson. If you do go for a steak cook, do not try the T-Rex method first. Please! Work through the learning curve a little before trying to manage extreem high temps.[p]Most of all, make sure you have a clean burning lump fire. Follow the link to a post about that with pictures.
    [ul][li]Clean fire post[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Lovetocook,
    Once you learn to control the temp, it is no more than cooking in your kitchen in the oven. The Egg has smoke flavor and the oven doesn't. Just remember a couple of things. Start out with a firebox full of lump and try not to let the dome temp go beyond your desired cooking temp.
    The most fun with the Egg is experimenting. [p]Chef Jerry