Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Whole Wheat Loaf

Sometimes I use my bread machine though I no longer bake in it. Mix this recipe on dough cycle, shape to fit greased loaf pan, into steamy microwave (1 cup water on high for 5 minutes, leave water in microwave (not running :)) and add loaf pan covered with tea towel). About 30-45 minutes later, or when it's an inch above the top of the pan, into 375° oven/egg for 15 minutes, then tent with foil for 15 more. This one got a little too dark, but still good stuff!

½ cup water
½ cup milk
¼ cup honey
1-1/2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups bread flour(+)
2 teaspoons SAF instant yeast

I got the recipe here. As you can see, I made some changes.

I tried the one I linked to the other day (the Jenny Jones one), but it simply would not rise, even after a very long wait. I finally gave up and baked it anyway. No oven spring either. At least it tasted good. Oh well. Today's loaf was MUCH better! If I were doing it in the egg, I would set it up just like a pizza cook. And don't forget the air gap under the loaf pan. Thanks for looking!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks perfect...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I meant to post the weights of the major ingredients... here they are. Also. 1 tsp yeast, not two. Sorry for the mix up.

3.9 oz water
    4 oz milk
    3 oz honey
    1-1/2 tablespoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    6 oz whole wheat flour
    6.4 oz bread flour
    1 teaspoon SAF instant yeast

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Great loaf!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • I can almost smell it through the screen ......
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That is begging for a sammich to be made :)

I made a honey  oatmeal wheat bread from the KA site several times. Always turned out good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Been meaning to try oatmeal. Thanks for the reminder.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks perfect...
    Says it all.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, folks! Just finished dinner - chicken leg, broccoli, sautéed mushrooms... and a nice toasted and buttered slice of this bread. So good! Give it a try.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That is fantastic.  Beautiful!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Dang, that looks good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Excellent looking loaf. For the guy who does pizza in the big white kitchen clock, why the egg for the bread? (If I understood it correctly, it is only on the egg for 15 minutes)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Excellent looking loaf. For the guy who does pizza in the big white kitchen clock, why the egg for the bread? (If I understood it correctly, it is only on the egg for 15 minutes)

hahaha, thank you! But you misunderstood my post. :) I said IF I were doing it in the egg... But I did not.

I baked brownies in the egg once, several years ago. A chocolate cake too. One of those "because I can" things. I have never baked a loaf of bread there, at least not that I recall. I don't want smoky bread. =)

And this loaf was 30 minutes total, tent with foil after 15.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Great stuff
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I may try this. Made this one last night

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario