Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Glenn, RIP

Options
One of the greatest Americans to ever live.  They don't make them like that any more.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Rocked along to 95.  Amazing life!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've always admired that guy.   I wish everyone on this forum was a John Glenn.
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Rocked along to 95.  Amazing life!
    Yes it was.  He was a student pilot during WWII at the flight school in Corpus Christi, TX where my father was an instructor.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Amazing man of God.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    An American Hero!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I've always admired that guy.   I wish everyone on this forum was a John Glenn.
    I could not agree more. I wish more people in this country had his spirit.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Amazing man of God.  
    God created everything according to popular dogma, so everything is "of god".  Right? 
    Options
    I think amazing is an amazing word.
    I think amazing is an amazing word.
    It's pretty remarkable, isn't it?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited December 2016
    Options

Major John Glenn & Captain Ted Williams discussing aerial maneuvers at K-3 Air Force Base in South Korea (1953).
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Amazing man of God.  
    An American Hero!!
    He was both of the above indeed. He was also a brother Mason. He belonged to Concord Lodge #688. 
    Keep to the East in your travels brother Glenn.

And may the Light guide you safely to Celestial Lodge above. 

Truly a great man, a great American, and a great brother Mason. Travel well my brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I'm glad you're ok with him having been a "dumbocrat" (in your words). ;)

High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, —and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of —Wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
    I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air...
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark or even eagle flew —
    And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RIP John Glenn

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    What amazes me about all of the early  astronauts, is how fearless they seemed to be.  I can imagine John hearing them say well there's a 1 in 4 chance your not going to make it... and him asking what time they launch. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Being an astronaut is about 60 times more dangerous than logging.   Those guys had to be brave.
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ryantt said:
    What amazes me about all of the early  astronauts, is how fearless they seemed to be.  I can imagine John hearing them say well there's a 1 in 4 chance your not going to make it... and him asking what time they launch. 
    Bravery isn't the absence of fear, but action in the face of fear.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @SGH - I'm glad you're ok with him having been a "dumbocrat" (in your words). ;) 

Not just a Democrat.  Glenn was pro-choice, supported gun control, and believed in affirmative action. An American hero in more ways than one. Rest in peace.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Not just a Democrat.  Glenn was pro-choice, supported gun control, and believed in affirmative action. An American hero in more ways than one. Rest in peace.
    I certainly did not say that he was perfect. But because he was a brother Mason I still respect him even though he had some stupid views. Heck Nola has some stupid views but I love him like a brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    PBS reported tonight that Glenn's wife, 96 (!!) went to the supermarket when she heard he'd passed, because she knew "the house was going to have a lot of visitors"!  
    I was working at Thiokol when Glenn took his Space Shuttle flight, and got to read the background about his suggestion to send an old former astronaut into space, for "medical research", NASA's reply that it wasn't in their plans, and SENATOR Glenn's restriction of funding until someone's plans "changed".  Millions of dollars so one guy can do one more "ride" (exact same thing happened with the "honorable" SENATOR Jake Garn, R-utard, who had to be nursed by the astronauts the entire flight while he threw up).  
    Like h r clinton and patreus, politics induced a rot that ate away any integrity in certain folks' lifetimes.  fwiw.    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I remember thinking that shuttle ride was so much BS when it happened, but I choose to remember Glenn for his heroic deeds. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I remember thinking that shuttle ride was so much BS when it happened, but I choose to remember Glenn for his heroic deeds. 
    I agree with Fred, probably for this first time ever.
     :o 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
      :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Options
    Didn't mean to throw a turd in the punchbowl, but most if not all "heroes", with their massive "drive", have their faults.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
      :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Would've been cooler had you spelled out NASA with all of those.  Just sayin'
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Duke fag.  Always unaccountable.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Me and a buddy were talking about this at work. Sadly one girl asked who he was
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2016
    Options
     :o         :o    
     :o:o     :o  
     :o     :o:o

:o  :o
                   :o:o:o

:o:o:o:o

:o  :o
                                          :o  :o:o
                                        :o          :o
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Greg Lake also passed away. One of the greater musicians of our time. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options

Major John Glenn & Captain Ted Williams discussing aerial maneuvers at K-3 Air Force Base in South Korea (1953).
    I think the caption is wrong, Glenn was asking why Ted had problems hitting the curve from southpaws.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC