Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smoker?

Comments

• double said:
    Cen-tex do you just light the one corner?

Yep. And it follows the maze until its gone. Really simple but perfect
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Thanks not even 24hrs after Xmas and the list is already filling up! Thank goodness for birthdays :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • double said:

Thanks not even 24hrs after Xmas and the list is already filling up! Thank goodness for birthdays :-)

That's the cool part about this one: its only $40. Compared to everything else we buy on here, it almost free
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bacon, cheese, salmon....what else can you do? Thinking of getting one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's not just for cold smoking - you can do a low and slow AND use this for smoke.  Gives you very even smoke over a long period of time.  Another way to do it.
    I assume in the egg?
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, egg, gasser, whatever.  I saw a video of a guy using it in his gasser.  It's probably more expensive to buy the pellets or sawdust than regular chips or chunks, but it's convenient, and from a quality control standpoint - you know exactly what you're getting, versus trying to strategically plant wood in your lump....
    So it can get hot?
  • nolaegghead
    I think it's stainless (will take plenty of heat), but I'd put it over the plate setter or on a grate so it doesn't cause the whole batch to light up all at once.  I'm thinking about getting one.
    They're not expensive...
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    This may solve my "lack of smoke" issues for my birds. I assume you can put this thing on the grate above the platesetter when you are smoking something? 
  • I got one just before Christmas and did cheese and butter cold smoked on it. Soooooo easy!
  • I think it's stainless (will take plenty of heat), but I'd put it over the plate setter or on a grate so it doesn't cause the whole batch to light up all at once.  I'm thinking about getting one.
    It's heavy duty steel. It can get hot. I agree that I would shield it to keep the pellets from going up at the same time if I had lump burning in there. It could just sit on the platesetter or grate
  • henapple said:
    I assume in the egg?

i t can go anywhere. A bucket, an old fridge. Anything you want to use. It fits in the egg perfectly though
  • Yeah, egg, gasser, whatever.  I saw a video of a guy using it in his gasser.  It's probably more expensive to buy the pellets or sawdust than regular chips or chunks, but it's convenient, and from a quality control standpoint - you know exactly what you're getting, versus trying to strategically plant wood in your lump....

14 hours of smoke for under $2 worth of Traeger pellets
  • nolaegghead
    I could have sworn they sold these on Amazon.  I can't find it there.  I like supporting the little guys and buying their stuff, but I don't trust any of their security with my plastic.
    I could have sworn they sold these on Amazon.  I can't find it there.  I like supporting the little guys and buying their stuff, but I don't trust any of their security with my plastic.
    They have a paypal interface - I ordered one today.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    Ug.  I hate paypal.  I have an account, but I consider them rapists, and I try not to give them my money. ;)
    Yeah, egg, gasser, whatever.  I saw a video of a guy using it in his gasser.  It's probably more expensive to buy the pellets or sawdust than regular chips or chunks, but it's convenient, and from a quality control standpoint - you know exactly what you're getting, versus trying to strategically plant wood in your lump....

Do you have a pellet preference for different cheeses or butter?  They send oak pellets with the amazen pellet thingy but I think hickory might be good with butter.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2012
    I just ordered the 5x8 like cen-tex, I have the 12" round also. I got peach and maple pellets from them. I got 20 lb. bags of apple, cherry and hickory from our Ace store (traeger). I hooked up my small to my large when the temp. outside was 75 or higher for cold smoking. But now I'm going to hook up my large to my master built smoker when the temp. is higher than 75, more rack space. I'll do it all in the large when it's cold out. I'll post pics in the next few days.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • dlk7 said:

Do you have a pellet preference for different cheeses or butter?  They send oak pellets with the amazen pellet thingy but I think hickory might be good with butter.

I've never done cheese or butter (yet) so I have no preference. All ears though.....
  • nolaegghead
    from http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/wosmch.html

Alder — the wood of choice for Pacific salmon, but also good for most seafood, pork, poultry, and other white meats, because of its light and sweet flavor.

Apple — light and fruity, and works well for the same foods as alder, except for swordfish.

Cherry — also a mild and fruity wood, suited to almost everything from beef to chicken and pork to salmon, but again, not swordfish.

Grapevine — described as tart, and good with poultry, red meats, and wild game, but not lamb or fish.

Hickory — tends to impart a stronger flavor, and is better suited to red meat and game.

Maple — sweet and mild, good for pork and poultry; less popular for fish.

Mesquite — a strong wood, also described as sweet, particularly good for red and dark meats. Not so good for lamb, and imparts a bitter taste to swordfish.

Mountain mahogany— hard to come by, but mild and well-suited to poultry, beef and salmon.

Oak — for many, the wood of choice for beef, but also good for any full-flavor meat, including mutton and wild game.

Pecan — another mid-range wood, with more flavor than the fruit trees, but less than hickory and mesquite. Good for white meats

ALMOND: - Nutty and sweet smoke flavor, light ash All Meats

APRICOT: - Milder and sweeter than Hickory Great on White or Pink meats; Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Fish

PEACH: OUR MOST POPULAR WOOD!! Slightly sweet, woodsy flavor, milder and sweeter than Hickory. All Meats, Great on White and Pink Meats; Especially Chicken, Turkey, Pork, and Fish.

PEAR: lightly sweet,woodsy flavor. Poultry, Game Birds, Pork.

PLUM: Milder and Sweeter tan Hickory Great on White or Pink Meats, Especially Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Fish

MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    For those who have used the A-maze-n Smoker, do you find that, after smoking, you need to wait a few days to allow the smoke to "mellow" in order to enjoy the food?  Any difference if using pellets or dust?  I've cold smoked using both the soldering iron and couple of pieces of lump in a can methods, and as detailed in the Naked Whiz's write up on cold smoking cheese, have found the smoke flavor is overwhelming at first.  Thanks! 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Agreed you need to let it mellow for a couple of weeks, at least on cheese.
  • I use the Tube Smoker. Never had any, and I mean any problems with it in any way. Whenever I cold smoke cheese, I vacuum seal it and put it away to age for anywhere from 6-12 weeks. Mellows the flavor right out and makes the best cheese! As for regular smoking in the Egg, I only want smoke hitting the meat for the first couple of hours or so. Smoke doesn't get absorbed after 140* F so what's the point of an 8 hour smoke? After 140* F all you're doing is wasting money!
  • nolaegghead
    People say you stop getting a smoke ring after around 140F but the smoke ring is really a function of having all the right conditions - surface moisture, salt, nitrous oxide from the fire - it all reacts to form sodium nitrite/nitrate that turns the myoglobin into nitromyoglobin, which is apparent through a reddish tint to the meat....same process that a sodium nitrite cure performs on brisket to make corned beef/pastrami.  The smoke flavor gets deposited on the meat less quickly as the food warms up, but it still has an impact on the final flavor.  When cold smoking fish, for example, a pellicle is desired - a protein skin around the meat, which absorbs the smoke flavor better than if it isn't allowed to form through a curing process.  I've thrown wood into the egg near the end of a low and slow and I could taste it.
    edited December 2016
    For cold smoking bacon, is there a temperature range that is too cold? I'm planning to try a cold smoke with the a-maze-n, but its supposed to be in the teens to 20s. Is that too cold? Ive read some stuff about putting a heat lamp, but dont know if i want to do all that. What about heating the egg up to like 150-200, snuffing the fire and then starting the cold smoke? 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • nolaegghead
    @byrne092 as long as the bacon isn't frozen, you should be fine.  The only reason I say don't let it freeze is because any ice on it would melt off and take the smoke flavor with it.
    Also, the insulation of the ceramic in the egg works both ways.  You've probably heard you can heat an igloo up with a small fire.  The heat off the a-maze-n-schmoker should keep the meat, if you start with it thawed, above frozen.