Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig for XL.....worth it?.....

Looking for some advice from any XL owners as to whether an AR is needed.....wife is looking for Christmas present for me.....love to have one but not really sure how much I would use it....love to hear your thoughts....thanks!

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348

How many are you cooking for? There are 5 in my family, and I use it fairly often. It's nice to be able to have several levels available.

The accessory I use the most is the spider/woo combo, though. I'd say get them both.

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Thanks.....It varies on the amount I could for.....But I can see using regularly.....do you have the Woo setup as well?
  • FWIW, I have the AR and Woo2. Never seem to cook without using 1 or both anymore. Next best purchase I made for my Egg after Thermapen. These three items have done more for my cooking than all the rest combined.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    The best advise I can give you is to just call Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store and tell him what and how you cook on the XL. He will put you on to what will be best for how and what you cook. And go over other options you may want.
    If she's buying, get everything!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Tak
    LOL....thanks!.....That was my thought....was trying not to appear greedy....LOL....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The XL Adj Rig is great...Different than the one made for the Large Egg.
    Helps if you put your location in your signature line.
    If you are in the Houston area you are welcome to borrow mine.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have an XL and a homemade raised grate, but I would like to have the AR/Woo2 combo.  The Woo2 has the spider built in and you use it with a wok and there are many things you can do with the set up.

Here is a Youtube video using the AR and there are many more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0X9AEMbVA

@Hotch has a great idea in call Tom and talk to him about how you like to cook.  You have a great wife there if she is getting the AR for you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tak
    Appreciate the offer.....I'm in Philly area.....I think I'm going to ask for the whole combo...hopefully the wife doesn't pass out....LOL
  • Can't go wrong with more cooking area and versatility. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited December 2016
    I've had an XL for about 3 years.  For most of that, I've used a cheap extra grid that raises the height and give me two levels.  Last year added a woo2 and absolutely love that.  Just bought an AR a couple of weeks ago because I'm finding I cook most things raised and this gives me more flexibility to get more than one grate raised.  I don't regret not getting it sooner, but it does feel like it was inevitable.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2016
    Tak said:
    Appreciate the offer.....I'm in Philly area.....I think I'm going to ask for the whole combo...hopefully the wife doesn't pass out....LOL
    Use discount code"photoeggpimpmyshit"...when you call Tom...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tak
    LOL...will definitely do that.....thanks for the insight on adding the AR...I totally agree about never a bad thing to add cooking space
  • I have had the AR and spider for about a year, and as others here have said I use one or both for nearly every cook.  It is nice to have 3 grid levels for regular grilling (stock height, slightly raised, and even with felt line).  AR allows for meat on bottom / veggies up top, 2 pizzas at a time, 2 (or more) layers of wings at a time, optimal brisket (or other meat) placement in the dome, and theoretically something like 7 racks of ribs.  You will see a return on your investment easily.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yes. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I have the combo and I use at least part of mine 90% of the time. I use it a ton to go raise direct. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I don't have one, but everything still seems to come out pretty awesome...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf