Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - what's your favorite fiction novel or author?

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SGH said:
    Botch said:
    For non-humorous, give me Tolkein 
     Brother Botch, I have a copy of everything that J.R.R.Tolkien released. I also have a copy of everything that his son Christopher released. 

"Leaf by Niggle" was always one of my faves, my wife's too. Hard to find at this point.
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Anything by Cormac McCarthy.  It's not going to tickle your funny bone though.  McCarthy is probably my favorite author. 

Roald Dahl's short stories are often very witty and entertaining.  He's mostly known for his children's stories, but he also wrote a lot of stories that were turned in to Twilight Zone episodes. 

I just finished Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood and I really enjoyed it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like to make up my own stories and pass them off as things I did, just so I look normal to other people.
    Options
    The writing on this forum is so mediocre at times, I have little tolerance.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Pat Conroe is probably my favorite author.  Sure sometimes his characters talk a little too much and sometimes his prose rambles but for a great representation of what it's like to live in the south  and a great story you can't beat his novels.  

Im actually reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn right now and it's fantastic.  

1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Confederacy Of D is one of the few books I reread.

"Skinny Legs And All" by Tom Robbins could turn you on to pretty unique author who also made me lol while reading.
    Best - Jack
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    In order of Favorites
    Douglass Adams - increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Trilogy of books
    Cussler is great no thinking books
    2nd Lee Child series
    I like Tony Hillerman
    If you havent read them the Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton
    Steve Berry - Coton Malone books

I tend to mix those up as available on my elibrary account

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    John McDonald
    Lee Child 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    If I were to recommend one book, it would be Stephen King's 11/22/63.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Confederacy Of D is one of the few books I reread.

"Skinny Legs And All" by Tom Robbins could turn you on to pretty unique author who also made me lol while reading.

Options

Options

Options
    Interesting story I'll tell later.
    I can't wait.  I'm certain what is happening but I'm intrigued for sure.
    Best - Jack
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    I've reread the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian 3 times.  Other favorites, in no particular order, are John Sanford, Jo Nesbo, Michael Connelly, David Brin, Greg Bear, Child/Preston collaborations.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Wasn't Bloom fictional and therefore technically not quotable. Does nobody understand?
    Not how it works. Maybe it is a Canadian thing though.

...nice bit at the end.  why do you know that ("does nobody understand?")
    Sort of the same way as I know that people don't understand as much as they know or something like that 
    Geez Steve, once again you overachieve on the task at hand.....favourite author?

Grisham, Ian Fleming and Stephen King, right at the moment my 10 year old granddaughter has me reading JK "Frigging" Rowling. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I also like Cormac McCarthy quite a bit.  

Dan Jenkins (wrote "Semi Tough") is another favorite of mine.  I like all of his golf books.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Scottie's got a certificate of hygiene there from the state of Mississippi.  
    That belongs to my ole lady. I have a few certificates but none of them are from a college. My current certifications are:
    NACE Level III
    AWS CWI. 
    AWS CRI
    API 510
    API 570 
    API 653. 
    ASNT Level II in PT, MT & UT. 
    A decent accomplishment for a high school drop out though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Scottie's got a certificate of hygiene there from the state of Mississippi.  
    That belongs to my ole lady. I have a few certificates but none of them are from a college. My current certifications are:
    NACE Level III
    AWS CWI. 
    AWS CRI
    API 510
    API 570 
    API 653. 
    ASNT Level II in PT, MT & UT. 
    A decent accomplishment for a high school drop out though. 
    Impressive array of certifications Scottie!  I figured the hygiene certificate was behind all the "filthy" hippy references  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I must say, I'm surprised that so many here read.  It's a good thing. Congratulations y'all.
    Options
    Ok, really quick, the story on the book signed by the author:

A general contractor that rented space in the warehouse I'm in told me he was working on a place in Gretna and pulled out a bunch of old cypress and heart pine and it was in a pile in the back yard.  He gave me the address.  I'm always on the lookout for recycled old lumber, especially if it's free and really old.

So I take my truck over there and we drive, literally, into the back yard and start loading up on this sweet cypress bead board. 

15 minutes later, a guy comes out and belligerently yells something like (probably worse) "What the F*CK are you as$holes doing?  Stealing my lumber?!"

I told him my buddy was his GC and he could call him, said this stuff was going in the dumpster anyway, etc.

Took a while with my famous nolaegghead charm but we ended up drinking beer and I found out he was the owner of Lucky Dogs, the iconic hot dog vendor in the French Quarter.  I ask him - hey, did you read Confederacy of Dunces?  He's like: "come with me". 

So we go to his truck and he pulls out some books that he wrote about Ignacious Riley (from the book) and his business through the years.   Turns out he has another coming out.  So I get him to sign my book "eggheads rule", thinking I'll post this and look like a rock star to the 1% of the 1% of all people who read, and have read that book.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up with a sweet haul of free lumber, a free signed book and a reason to post here.   Now.   The end.
    I love classic American literature.  Mark Twain is my favorite.  I also love Edgar Allan Poe, Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yeah but did @dmw walk in on you when you were taking a dump?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wasn't Bloom fictional and therefore technically not quotable. Does nobody understand?
    Not how it works. Maybe it is a Canadian thing though.

...nice bit at the end.  why do you know that ("does nobody understand?")
    Sort of the same way as I know that people don't understand as much as they know or something like that 
    Geez Steve, once again you overachieve on the task at hand.....favourite author?

Grisham, Ian Fleming and Stephen King, right at the moment my 10 year old granddaughter has me reading JK "Frigging" Rowling. 

Cali Gibran

Jonny Sartre

Bert Camus

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    'Bert' Camus. 

Nnnnnice
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    'Bert' Camus. 

Nnnnnice
    Absurdism.  Albert had a point.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Wanted to thank everyone who commented. Lots of solid recommendations! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I'm fascinated with Ancient Egypt, been in Tut's tomb, a book I've read three times already is The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips. Not your everyday novel!
    Judy in San Diego
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I read a lot of the typical fiction authors mentioned here (Baldacci, Flynn, Coben, Hiassen, etc) but one of my favorite fiction novels (loosely based on a true story) is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.

Great read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(novel)

NOLA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I read a lot of the typical fiction authors mentioned here (Baldacci, Flynn, Coben, Hiassen, etc) but one of my favorite fiction novels (loosely based on a true story) is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.

Great read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(novel)

Was just gonna suggest this one.  It's pretty awesome and it does a great job at keeping you engaged. I've been wanting to go India for a really long time because of this book.