Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four Years od Egging

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my Large BGE four years ago this month and still love it. I think the main change is that I no longer hover around it, worrying about temperature fluctuations and where I should take a peek at the food to make sure it's OK. I have learned to leave well alone.[p]I've learned to keep the lump stirred to knock off the ash and to not allow too much ash and lump chips to build up around the perimeter of the firebox.[p]Last night I grilled some skewered giant shrimp and rememberd my "lid open" grilling technique. With this I allow the lump to get thoroughly alight then open the dome and CLOSE the lower vent completely. This allows the lump to burn reasonably gently without getting out of control (no air coming in below). This is great for grilling delicate items like shrimp.[p]Best wishes to all.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fairalbion,
    i think i'm around four years too.[p]you make a great point about closing the lower vents. i have learned that when doing a lot of rib eyes, or many bacon-wrapped ABTs, to shut the lower vent when the lid is open. it helps to minimizethe flare-ups that occur when you open the lid with fatty foods.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi fairalbion,
    Remember sweating through that first all-nighter?
    I laugh about it now but back then it was like giving birth,
    well sort of.
    Cheers,
    bruce