Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF-What would you do?

Options
Well I finally got my BOGO order From SRF delayed through the weekend. It arrived with the ribs and all the filets completely thawed out. The two briskets, one was thawed out and one was 80% thawed out. 

They had already sent an email stating if this happened they would refund or replace. The ribs and filets were definitely too warm for me to feel them to be okay still and not compromised in some way. The briskets I think should be okay, but when you spend this much money...,.,,, 

I immediately put everything into the freezer. Sent email to SRF requesting replacement. I just am not sure if I need one on the briskets. I hate people that take advantage of a situation, so I ask honestly what you all think. 

I can't think of the handle for our SRF guy.....if someone could tag him for me, I am very interested in his opinion as well. 

Customer Service is already over the top, now it's just about doing what is right on my end. 

Appreciate Your input. 
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SRFShane

Obviously too late for this but the protocol would be to measure the temperature of the meat upon reciept.  If it's under 40F, it should be fine.  If it's above, there's no telling how long it's been above the "safe" range (as defined by the FDA). 

Anything that was partially frozen is probably fine.  Especially brisket - you cook that well above the minimum FDA recommended temps.

The steaks could have been above 40F for no telling how long.  And if you eat those rare, that could be a problem. 

SRF doesn't want anyone to eat anything that isn't safe, so I'm certain they'll take care of you.
    Options
    @SRFShane

Obviously too late for this but the protocol would be to measure the temperature of the meat upon reciept.  If it's under 40F, it should be fine.  If it's above, there's no telling how long it's been above the "safe" range (as defined by the FDA). 

Anything that was partially frozen is probably fine.  Especially brisket - you cook that well above the minimum FDA recommended temps.

The steaks could have been above 40F for no telling how long.  And if you eat those rare, that could be a problem. 

SRF doesn't want anyone to eat anything that isn't safe, so I'm certain they'll take care of you.
    I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that SRF will take care of me. Their communication with me as soon as the package was delayed has been top notch. This was not their fault at all. This was all on UPS and the holidays. This in no way is me complaining about SRF, I just want to do what's right as I know SRF will as well. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I agree with what @nolaegghead says - the briskets probably are fine.

The ribs and filets I would sous vide. The chances that any of those have actually started rotting/decomposing is pretty small. With sous vide even at a fairly low temp (132°-ish)  the filets will become pasteurized after a few hours in the hot tub. Ribs in sous vide are generally done at 160°+ for a couple days so I wouldn't be too concerned about bacterial problems.

I just got the email letting me know my briskets are on the way a few hours ago with delivery by Friday. From what I've been seeing  most folks are getting their briskets still frozen but all the dry ice is long gone. I'm hoping this blast of Arctic air moving east this week will help keep my briskets cold!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What Nola said
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its your money. And your family and friends that you are feeding. You have a chance to "buy some peace of mind", so I would take it.

The SRF folks stepped up and offered refund/replacement. Since it was a good sale, I would ask for replacement and be done with it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Man I hope the delivery company is responsible for this financially or we'll never see a sale like that again. 
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

You're a standup guy @srfshane

I appreciate the lost art of customer service

I guess I'll stop waiting for a coupon offer in my email and finally pull the trigger on that order that's been in my cart.  =)

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    @SFRShane - I for one really appreciate what you said about the sacrifice of the animal that was wasted is worse than what is undoubtedly a fairly significant sum of money. When I do pull the trigger on an expensive piece of meat it will be done with your company!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    This response is exactly why I do and always will get meat from SRF. Not only did I never doubt this was the response I would get, it's still great when it does turn out that way as well!!!

great Stuff and worth every penny. 

By by the way, during peak seasons, couldn't you guys insure these packages against this?

Livermore, California
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The loss of the meat this last weekend reminds me of what happened here in KC a day after the American Royal was over and the Health Department had people throw out good BBQ and sides, because did know where it all came from and didn't bother to ask the people in charge and had the food coated in bleach then thrown out.  That was a total waste.  I am glad I ordered mine early and it arrived on time still frozen.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/11/03/hundreds-of-pounds-of-american-royal-barbecue-bleached-and-thrown-in-dumpster/

Thank you @SRFShane for working for a stand up company.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Shane. That's a gut punch for sure. What separates companies is how they deal with adverse situations. Kudos to you and the rest of the SRF family. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Unfortunately my briskets arrived pushing 50 deg.  I hate the fact an entire cows worth of briskets are getting wasted.  I am calling around to some dog places.  Last time my freezer conked out I gave 200lbs or thawed red meat to a guy whose dogs only eat meat.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Called SRF, the office lady I talked to makes @SRFShane seem mean ;)  They were incredibly nice.  I asked what is best for SRF, and to paraphrase,  "a happy customer" .... she said don't worry do what I want.  She rattled off a ton of options.

2 more briskets on the way.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I've also received emails from them and nothing but a sincere desire to please. 

Great company everyone!!!  Absolutely Awesome!! 

When things go wrong is when you really find out how a company operates and they have absolutely won new customers from around these parts now I am sure based on this thread. 

Livermore, California
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    I also had the same issue. My ribs and steaks were completely thawed. I cooked 2 steaks the day they came in and I am still alive. Put everything else in the freezer. Emailed SRF and waiting on a response.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @SRFShane I've got a delivery on scheduled for Friday. Have the issues been resolved? I can always put my delivery on hold if need be until everything gets straightened out. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    great folks and service right there. Bravo.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    @SRFShane I've got a delivery on scheduled for Friday. Have the issues been resolved? I can always put my delivery on hold if need be until everything gets straightened out. 
    UPS tells us that things are fine right now, according to them the big volume spike was last week as a result of black friday/cyber monday.  I think you should be fine!  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Across the board, the stories on this thread are truly a mixed bag.  Kudos for SRF, no surprise there.  But such a waste of protein and all because someone in a three letter shipping company didn't see it coming.  And they get off free and clear.   That's where I have an issue-too bad they are too big to help out their customer here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    brisket is my go to based on quality and price....especially when you get a BOGO like I did the other week.  Essentially $6 a ## and nothing local can tough the quality.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I've got an order of a ham and a brisket from SRF, just shipped and supposed to be delivered on Friday. Nice hearing that I ordered from such an upstanding company...  

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• tikigriller
    Options
    So my case is now closed.   I sent them an email requesting everything but the brisketts be replaced.  One was  still partially frozen, so we both felt it would be okay, and in an effort to save them some money, I told them they could send me a smaller brisket than the one I got.   I run a business.  It's not much, but I feel inclined to help out as much as possible, as I have no need for the bigger one anyways.  I only got the bigger one because it was all they had left.  =0)  if it was not a buy one get one free thing, I would have asked for the same, but their sale was already over the top!

They were insistent that when I cook the one I kept, if I did not feel it was up to par, to call  them and they would replace it.   I am sure it will be fine.

So very impressed.  Glad to see everyone else is getting the same type of results.

Livermore, California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One HELL of a guy!  ==>  @SRFShane

It's in his best interest to develop and maintain an excellent reputation, but his company goes the extra mile.  Plus, like, he sells wagyu.  Friggin Japanese hybrid top shelf cow flesh. 
    Options
    Interesting, I got all of my stuff on Friday with no issues.  The ice was all gone, but the brisket were hard as a rock.

love my SRF!
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'm lucky that I am close enough to not have issues- great to hear the issues are fixed.

My first ( yes I double dipped ) order arrives fine, thankfully my largest, with briskets and cap of ribeyes!

I had some tenderloin chunks arrive last year that the cry was ripped on from banging around in the cooler. They replaced them easily, and I appreciated that a bunch.

They have me as a customer, and I also shared any sales and info with a group in another hobby, and we all spend quite a bit of money with them, so I think it has turned out well for everyone.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SRFShane There's a current brisket BOGO? Looking at getting one for our company's owner for Christmas.  Well that was my suggestion at least.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Across the board, the stories on this thread are truly a mixed bag.  Kudos for SRF, no surprise there.  But such a waste of protein and all because someone in a three letter shipping company didn't see it coming.  And they get off free and clear.   That's where I have an issue-too bad they are too big to help out their customer here.
    You have no idea... for the volume they deal with ups is usually good but when they ufck up, they dont pay for a damn thing. i dont even try anymore. never had a claim get approved
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SRFShane There's a current brisket BOGO? Looking at getting one for our company's owner for Christmas.  Well that was my suggestion at least.
    Blake, it was Black Friday week. They went fast. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Blake, it was Black Friday week. They went fast. 
    Said Brent Musburger...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga