Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Do you still read a newspaper?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880

Experts have found the following analysis to be near 100% accurate.

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.
2. The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.
3. The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the country, and who are very good at crossword puzzles.
4. USA Today is read by people who think they ought to run the country but don't really understand The New York Times.
5. The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the country, if they could find the time and if they didn't have to leave Southern California to do it.
6. The Boston Globe is read by people whose parents used to run the country.
7. The New York Daily News is read by people who aren't too sure who's running the country and don't really care as long as they can get a seat on the train.
8. The New York Post is read by people who don't care who is running the country as long as they do something really scandalous, preferably while intoxicated.
9. The Chicago Tribune is read by people who are in prison, who used to run the state, & would like to do so again, as would their constituents whoare currently free on bail.
10. The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country, but need the baseball scores.
11. The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people who aren't sure if there is a country or that anyone is running it; but if so, they oppose all that they stand for. There are occasional exceptions if the leaders are gay, handicapped, minority, feminist, atheists, and those who also happen to be illegal aliens from any other country or galaxy, provided of course, that they are not Republicans.
12. The National Enquirer is read by people trapped in line at the grocery store.
13. The Seattle Times is read by people who have recently caught a fish and need something to wrap it in.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Yes I read the local paper and USA Today. USA Today has a clear bias but I like to keep up with different view points and it's national and overseas news is better than the local paper. Plus I like to work crosswords. Fortunately my local paper carries the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times crosswords.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nope, sure don't.  I get my news from @nolaegghead and @JohnInCarolina .
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I read two newspapers almost every day, but I read them on my iPad.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    One of my 17 year old daughter's friends was over and asked me why I read the paper. 
    LA Times for 40 years. @RRP pretty funny post.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Many years ago I subscribed to the local paper. I got tired of it filling up the garbage can.
    Now when I go to the grocery store I always grab a handful of sale papers to use in the chimney starter, that's all the newspaper was good for anyway.
    By the time something is printed in the newspaper it's old news. Same for local news TV broadcasts. A lot of what is in the local broadcast was on the web a couple of days before, with the exception of the current daily murders and robberies 
    Printed media's days have sadly passed for me.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    "I read all the newspapers."
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    A gal read the Washington Compost for years... and now she's in rehab!!~~
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @RRP.   Now THAT is a great post!   It makes sense too

Thanks for the chuckles....

I only read the comics on the rare occaisions i actually read a paper

We need Calvin and Hobbes back!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    As I have gotten older, a couple of changes I made about 15 years ago. I don't have a home phone (land line) or subscribe to a newspaper. Today, I am getting news articles pushed to me based on previous selected interest. The evolution of both the smart phone and the Internet have made some things go the way of the Buffalo.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My brother lives in the DC area. I was there over Thanksgiving and was amazed at the size of the Post!! We grew up in a town with a population of about 15K and that paper was as big as the Post is now.

I asked my SIL why they bothered. It seems they are virtually giving it away. Phone call campaigns pretty much begging people to subscribe. Sad.

My 100 year old mom still loves her paper, but even she admits there's not much in it any more.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I still like my old school news paper to read over dinner when I get home and over breakfast on the weekends.

Something about the tactile feel of real paper and print that just can't be replaced......
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited December 2016
    I will on occasion read pieces from a number of these, but don't subscribe to any of them.  I'm not sure it makes much sense to read any of them for news.  For me, they've always been much more valuable for investigative journalism, which has sadly diminished as Americans' collective attention spans asymptote towards zero.  Along these lines if you haven't seen Spotlight, you should.  It's a very important movie, and tragically an expose on the type of work that is disappearing from journalism.  I suppose there is some consolation that Marty Baron now heads up the Post, but not much.  

I had to laugh at the WSJ being at the top of the heap, mostly because I think many people have an opinion of the paper that is disconnected from reality.  The main news pieces are no-nonsense, incredibly well done and researched, sourced, etc.   The opinion pieces are almost diametrically the opposite.  The old joke is that the news page tells professionals what they need to know, and the opinion section tells them what they want to hear.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Our paper is more in depth than just 'news'

sure, we can find out about stuff as it happens, but there's no depth or analysis

and it is more balanced than not. Has some pretty conservative writers, liberal too. I read both

i have no interest in partisan television channels either way.

If you agree with everything one particular channel or another says, or aren't aware when even your favorite 'personality' is stretching things, then that's a bad sign for critical thinking

need a balance

i also think the press is still vital. Once a foundation of liberty and a check on power. Not willing to give that power away to the loudest talking heads. 

Local news is like infotainment now too. 

Need some rational thought. Can't get that in short tv news cycles. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Variety online via Apple News app. This threat should be in the OT forum to reduce the noise.  Sure wish we had a strong moderator to help organize our content.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Nope. Dont read the paper. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I will on occasion read pieces from a number of these, but don't subscribe to any of them.  I'm not sure it makes much sense to read any of them for news.  For me, they've always been much more valuable for investigative journalism, which has sadly diminished as Americans' collective attention spans asymptote towards zero.  Along these lines if you haven't seen Spotlight, you should.  It's a very important movie, and tragically an expose on the type of work that is disappearing from journalism.  I suppose there is some consolation that Marty Baron now heads up the Post, but not much.  

I had to laugh at the WSJ being at the top of the heap, mostly because I think many people have an opinion of the paper that is disconnected from reality.  The main news pieces are no-nonsense, incredibly well done and researched, sourced, etc.   The opinion pieces are almost diametrically the opposite.  The old joke is that the news page tells professionals what they need to know, and the opinion section tells them what they want to hear.  

Every community should have a strong independent newspaper to keep an eye on and report local government shenanigans. Unfortunately, not all do and with the decline in folks wanting to actually pay for news there is no doubt that corruption will be ascendant in the coming decades. Not sure how this demise can be rectified tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Yes but does the electronic version count in the survey??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I still read the local papers, and pay for them (Ogden's daily, and Salt Lake City's on the weekends).  Also schedule my weekly lunch at the Vietnam Pho place on Thursdays, so I can grab SLC's "independent" weekly (the lds church has chased it out of all the local grocery stories).
    As in health care, the US is the only advanced nation that doesn't fund an independent news organization, like the BBC (remember that, when asked what grotesque federal expenditure he'd eliminate as President, "Mittens" Romney only named PBS/NPR, all 0.03% of the federal budget of it, he much preferred the billionaire-funded Faux News, which to this day has persuaded the poor and unemployed to continue to elect billionaires, to keep the wealth at the top where it belongs).  Whups, got distracted there!
    I'll continue to pay for "independent" news sources.  I'm also fortunate in that, as a federal employee, I get access to the daily "Early Bird" which compiles defense/political news stories from most national news sources (excluding Faux News, by the way).  Gives me a good view of happenings, from both the right and the left's viewpoints.  I wish more Americans would read news from both sides, its worthwhile.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited December 2016
    Still a loyal newspaper subscriber and reader here. Despite some warts and occasional lapses of good judgment, I still find newspapers to be the best source for news, especially local, but also state and national.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I'm sure it is just coincidence that all the liberals find pbs and NPR to be fair and neutral? Hmmm.  Yep, I gave it ample thought and concluded it's just coincidence. Carry on with the unnecessary subsidy for this mixed bag of liberal and conservative journalists. Introspection is a great thing. 

I also never ever understood why liberals want to compare us to other inferior nations. Go ahead and move there. It is assumed they do all these things better. False. No one ever considers that it may be our system which "should" require self reliance and personal responsibility that is our key to greatness. Hmmm? Seems to me that the closer we get to the European model the more our greatness is diminished? I see it the same as participation trophies. Boo hoo! 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I dont get the physical paper but get it in app form on my iPad.
    Still get the 'paper' as I want to see-
    *Local Coverage of Local College Programs
    *Sunday Business
    *Local Editorial page
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • I just look at the pictures.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• I'm sure it is just coincidence that all the liberals find pbs and NPR to be fair and neutral? Hmmm.  Yep, I gave it ample thought and concluded it's just coincidence. Carry on with the unnecessary subsidy for this mixed bag of liberal and conservative journalists. Introspection is a great thing. 

I also never ever understood why liberals want to compare us to other inferior nations. Go ahead and move there. It is assumed they do all these things better. False. No one ever considers that it may be our system which "should" require self reliance and personal responsibility that is our key to greatness. Hmmm? Seems to me that the closer we get to the European model the more our greatness is diminished? I see it the same as participation trophies. Boo hoo! 
    There has never (read: NEVER) been a neutral source. Even though newspapers make clear that one aspect of their work is reporting events, there is often an editorial bent. Most reputable papers work to
    reduce this. But it is not possible to not have a bias. 

Thry also make clear when something is editorial. There are a sad number of people who can it tell the difference between what's news and what is specifically editorial. 

With regard to PBS or other less overtly biased progams (because it's a matter of degree), i look to whether they are being fair. Do opposing views get equal play? Is it the custom
    of the host to shout down an opposing view, or is there intelligent conversation

O'reilly on Letterman is a cogent  intelligent and thiughtful guest with many excellent points. But when he shouts down people on his own show, it's cear the show is about him
    and not discussion

being dismissive of people before you even hear them out? Mocking instead of rebutting? And NEVER finding ANYTHING they say to have any virtue?  That is always obvious, and always valueless, if we are trying to discuss and learn.

If you have never thought someone on your 'opposition' made a good point, it's probably the voices in your echo chamber, not your human intelligence, that is running things for you.  

The press in general has the right intention. Keep tabs on things, check power, spread ideas (editorial side).  It is a bad thing to assume they are always correct, or that they are always evil. 

No one does their job perfectly. But they have a role. And it's a useful source to test yourself and your own thinking. Rather than just a handy device
    for reassuring yourself.  

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Yes I read the paper every morning.  Love to hear the thud of the carrier tossing it on to my front stoop.  Might be my age, but I process information better if it's read on paper vs. screen. To review and edit complex work related documents, I always print hard copy. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @JustineCaseyFeldown fair points about Oreilly.

If you think today's press is doing a good job or even trying to do so, I wholeheartedly disagree. They are mostly left wing activists. By definition they should not be journalists. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    New York Times on weekends (online available for all week), The Washington Post and the Boston Globe. I believe in this age where you have online and broadcast news that is getting crappier by the day we need to support print journalism. Like @JethroVA I just prefer the paper copy also.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i read the local at work, i have to say its gone way down hill, they should be embarrassed =) i get the paper at home everytime i get a new puppy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it