Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T.... Upright Freezer purchase.

Options
XLentEGG
XLentEGG Posts: 436
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
 I'm looking to buy a frost free 20 cubic foot upright freezer real soon. This has turned out to almost as bad as looking for a car ! 
 Anyone have a brand that they swear by , or a brand that they are sorry they ever met and will not use again ? I figure I will be breaking out close to 1K for this , so I'm gathering all the input I can first. THANX :-)
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Mine is a frost free Fridgidaire. I got it second hand and it has been a good one. I've owned it for 10+ years with no problems. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I would not recommend a frost free freezer.  I have been told a frost free freezer "warms up" to thaw the frost, therefore your food will constantly be going up and down in temperature.  We bought an upright Kenmore a few years ago from Sears and love it.  It was a cheaper one but it work great.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    This is what we have in the garage. Haw had it for about a year with no issues.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-20-9-cu-ft-Upright-Freezer-White/50273657
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have a Frigidaire commercial unit about 10 years old, it is without the frost free feature. It was about 20% less than the same model with the frost free feature. The sales guy asked where I would be keeping it and asked if I had a place to drain it, meaning get it outside. He suggested if you knock the ice off and hose it out every year or so, it will keep food longer. As it is in the garage and has wheels, once a year I empty it into coolers and wheel it to the driveway, hit it with the hose to remove any ice and the leaf blower to dry it. Total downtime is less than 20 minutes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well...in the past 43 years we have owned just 3 upright freezers and all have been in the garage here in IL meaning hot summers and cold winters. None of them were frost free and none of them were designated as suitable for garage locations. Yes we have to defrost every other Summer, but so what...they are in the garage! The first brand was Monkey Ward, and the second two were from Sears, but who actually made them is a guess! 

BTW apparently you are already sold on the upright vs the chest type so I say good for you! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We've had this Maytag 20.0 cu. ft. for around 4 years. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-20-0-cu-ft-Frost-Free-Upright-Freezer-in-White-MZF34X20DW/205755511
    It was about the only one we found that met our needs and the warranty was not voided if used in a garage. It sits next to a side by side fridge in the garage and does a great job. The shelves are adjustable and it has plenty of door storage. I can get three full packer briskets in the bottom wire basket with room to spare for a few other roasts, etc. It isn't an in store item, but they delivered within a few days of ordering it. The delivery guys will even reverse the hand of the door, which we had them do for us. We're even considering getting the smaller model to use for meat only if we can find the wall space. Highly recommended.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have a Frigidaire air as well, but haven't even had it a year yet.  So far so good.  I also went with the frost free for two reasons.  It was cheaper and because I too had heard about the "warming".  Biggest piece of advice I would give is if you are thinking about getting a smaller one, i.e. 12-17 cubic foot one, go with the next size up.  I was thinking I would only need a 15 cb/ft one but was talked into getting the 17.9 and now I have it 3/4 full.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We have a Frigidaire GLFH21F8H Upright 20.5 c.f. w/ Flash (Fast) Freeze function & high temp and door ajar alarms.  Bought on sale.  Very functional and worry free usage. ***See reviews. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    We have a Norge that we bought used for $25. Must have been 15 or 20 years old when we bought it, we've had it for 14 years and it still runs like a champ! (it's not energy star certified ;)

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Dredger said:
    We've had this Maytag 20.0 cu. ft. for around 4 years. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-20-0-cu-ft-Frost-Free-Upright-Freezer-in-White-MZF34X20DW/205755511
    It was about the only one we found that met our needs and the warranty was not voided if used in a garage. It sits next to a side by side fridge in the garage and does a great job. The shelves are adjustable and it has plenty of door storage. I can get three full packer briskets in the bottom wire basket with room to spare for a few other roasts, etc. It isn't an in store item, but they delivered within a few days of ordering it. The delivery guys will even reverse the hand of the door, which we had them do for us. We're even considering getting the smaller model to use for meat only if we can find the wall space. Highly recommended.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker can you send @Dredger 3 full packer briskets so she can post a picture of them in her bottom wire basket in the freezer.  Ha!  I am just having fun.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Ha!  I am just having fun.

@kl8ton, I'm not sure it could handle three of @The Cen-Tex-Smoker's briskets, but it does handle two SRF briskets and one of my grass-fed briskets. I'm about to start preparing for veggie season. We freeze a fair amount of our favorite veggies from the local farm. I saw their post about corn and okra being ready now. It was a real aw $hit moment, but we're thankful for it year round, lol. I use wire baskets on the shelves to organize for maximum capacity, so if @XLentEGG wants a picture, I can take one later today. =)  

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I would go with the no self defrosting feature as well, just make sure the door is closed tight other wise you end up with snow making machine.

Gerhard
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    We have a Frigidaire GLFH21F8H Upright 20.5 c.f. w/ Flash (Fast) Freeze function & high temp and door ajar alarms.  Bought on sale.  Very functional and worry free usage. ***See reviews. 
    @NPHuskerFL.....Well if the man from the " cold side " will own a Frigidaire then maybe its worth a look.
     Thought about you today , while I was replacing a Bin Control on a Hoshi Cuber... Hope all is well :-) 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The one on the right is all fridge and the one on the left is the freezer. Love em both. 
  • XLentEGG
    Options

@pgprescott....THAT is a seriously nice set !
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    XLentEGG said:

@pgprescott....THAT is a seriously nice set !
    It is one of the best things I've done. Plenty of room for gatherings and everyday. If you can get over the initial pain, it's all good. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The one on the right is all fridge and the one on the left is the freezer. Love em both. 
    Really nice setup Pete.
    You know you're stuff when it comes to appliances.  ;)

Bought a 14cf manual Kenmore upright last year on sale, good reviews.

LOVE the added space.  Pairs nice with the Samsung french door fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

My spice rack is pretty much my freezer door, Berkwood lard, whole chiles, fresh frozen pasta, ravioli, Kerrygold butter caught on sale....the list goes on and on from the usual stuff.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    I would not recommend a frost free freezer.  I have been told a frost free freezer "warms up" to thaw the frost, therefore your food will constantly be going up and down in temperature.  We bought an upright Kenmore a few years ago from Sears and love it.  It was a cheaper one but it work great.
    It's true that frost-free freezers will cycle several times a day to melt the ice off the evaporator coil.  The evaporator coil is enclosed in the wall of the freezer.   When it cycles, the fan shuts off, mostly isolating the heated evaporator from the rest of the freezer.  If the freezer has very little frozen mass in it, it is possible the internal temperature will increase above freezing.  Most of us will have it loaded up with meat and food.  Ice cubes that are well below zero.

That said, if there's stuff in your freezer, it keeps the inside cool.  Also, if you ever recall putting something from the freezer to thaw in your refrigerator (33-39F), it will stay frozen for hours on the outsize, actually accumulating a thin layer of frost.

So the question is: do frost free freezers cycle your frozen food above freezing constantly?   Answer is no.  Doesn't make a rat's ass of difference.  Your food will stay frozen.  The frost-free do use more energy, all things equal.  And there's more complexity with the fan, heater, etc.  So less durable.
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input !! I went with a Kenmore Elite ( frigidaire ) 20.5 with all the bells and whistles. ( on sale ! )  outgrew my 7.5 chest freezer.. I'm gonna love this :-)
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    Thanks for all of the input !! I went with a Kenmore Elite ( frigidaire ) 20.5 with all the bells and whistles. ( on sale ! )  outgrew my 7.5 chest freezer.. I'm gonna love this :-)
    @XLentEGG I'm considering an upright freezer with ~20 cu ft capacity for my garage.  Any reviews on your Kenmore Elite or other brands?  Thanks!
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    So far so good on my freezer. I have it in the house , so I do hear it run from time to time . This one was the most bang for my buck. They are cheaper if you can get them on one of the big sales. July 4th, labor day ect. Keep in mind that a lot of freezers made today do not use a fan to cool the condenser . They use what is called " hot wall " condensing , so that the heat is disapated through the outer wall of the unit . This is only a problem if the garage sees a lot of 90degree plus days. It will still do its job , but it is harder on the unit in the long run .
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    So far so good on my freezer. I have it in the house , so I do hear it run from time to time . This one was the most bang for my buck. They are cheaper if you can get them on one of the big sales. July 4th, labor day ect. Keep in mind that a lot of freezers made today do not use a fan to cool the condenser . They use what is called " hot wall " condensing , so that the heat is disapated through the outer wall of the unit . This is only a problem if the garage sees a lot of 90degree plus days. It will still do its job , but it is harder on the unit in the long run .
    @XLentEGG Good to hear and thanks for your thoughts on the "hot wall" feature.  I'm in the DC area so we can get some hot & cold days.  Hope it's not an issue with my future upright freezer.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area